?Any Problems with the PL 45 Lens Hood?????

Tom Swaman

Mu-43 Veteran
The PL 45 lens hood is a bit of an albatross. It does not reverse on the lens, it is awkward and I am not so certain that it does much to squelch flare. What have you done with your PL 45 and supplied lens hood? I am in need of your suggestions and solutions. Much appreciation in advance for sharing your successes.

Best regards,
Tom

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use mine to protect the end of the lens from the physical world. I used to employ those rubber ones that popped out.. they were great.. thinking of that, I might try to find them again... here they are on eBay.... rubber lens hood | eBay

Tom Swaman

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks TC and Bokeh Diem. B&H has the good rubber B + W hoods. A good one is $9.95. They have cheaper ones for half the price. Frankly, with no tax, free shipping and B&H standing behind what they sell, I went this way rather than e-Bay. I ordered this an hour ago.

Best regards,
Tom

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
I just leave it on permanently. It only adds a centimeter to the length of the lens, the lens cap is still easily removable and it provides protection for the front element against impact and rain spray.

Then again I always have hoods on all my lenses, rather than filters.

Gordon

Tom Swaman

Mu-43 Veteran
Gordon,

Thanks for your excellent comments. I, also, always use hoods unless the hood gets in the way such as if I ever have to us the pop-up flash. I take extra good care of my equipment and it makes no sense to me to buy an expensive, high quality lens and then run the risk of increasing flare or otherwise degrade what the lens is capable of imaging. Yes, I understand the use of creative filters, i.e. ND filters, polarizers, etc., but not sky filters and UV filters, etc. for the purpose of protecting the lens.

Best regards,
Tom

Latest threads

Top Bottom