Any Problems with the Pen F?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drd1135, Oct 5, 2016.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I read about lots of dial and switch issues with the OMDs. Any problems yet with the Pen F? Mine is fine but I have some real problems in my life and I'd like to distract myself with some worries about my camera. ;) I suspect there is a much smaller sample of cameras in the field than, for example, the EM5 II so that may account for the lack of issues.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  2. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    No problems yet. But only a month or two old.
  3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I picked mine up pretty close to release day. Silver and black.

Nothing but shining things to say about it. All dials are working as they should. Fit and finish is holding up. I even am starting to fall in love with the custom MONO mode I have setup. I shoot with that setting (L-SF JPG + RAW).

If I had to liquidate my cameras and could only keep a bare minimum, it would be the Nikon Df and the PEN-F as the keepers. That's how much I gel with those cameras.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. twenty200

twenty200 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 20, 2015
    Zero problems. I love mine.
  5. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I have a reconditioned silver that I snagged during a 20% off sale. Shooting it exclusively now since we just sold my husband's 5 mark2 and I gave him my M1 in anticipation of the m1 mark 2. If anything is going to go wrong, this should be the time. Alas, it is running perfectly. Sorry I couldn't help you out. Lol.
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    One huge problem with the Pen-F.

It's not cheap and I can't afford it as a 3rd body...
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Galengwath

Galengwath Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2013
    No problems with mine. I got it on a 20% off reconditioned sale and I've been using it as my sole camera for the past couple weeks since I sold my well-used EM-1. I love it.
  8. soliony

soliony Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2014
    The camera video review sites (The Camera Store, DigiRev, Tony Northrup and others) all complain about terrible continuous auto-focus on the Pen F. TCS thought it was so bad, they did a second youtube review just to re-state how bad it is. That's something to worry about, I guess, if you like to take pictures of kids or dogs.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    I watched those as well, hopefully they will fix that with a firmware update.
    If I could afford on I would get one in an instant as as continuous auto-focus is not something I would use at this stage, but I really like the black and white shooting options of that camera, something I would like to get back into as I used to process my our years ago and it seems to do a great job out of the camera.
  10. Steven Norquist

Steven Norquist Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2016
    Steven Norquist
    I rented one to try out and the sensor was killer but the body had issues so it was a pass for me as a camera.
    Here is the big, big problem: If you wear glasses, like me, and you are looking through the EVF and have the sun to your back, light will leak around and cause the EVF to turn off!
    Annoying as hell. Happened so much it virtually made it unusable with the sun at your back.
    Additionally, the dials and button are clunky and stiff. They do not have the soft smooth feel of the first gen E-M5 which I own as my main camera.
    So a definite pass for me on Pen-F.
    Pretty camera though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    I wonder if because "the dials and button are clunky and stiff" now they are more heavy duty as I have not seen any posts of these failing like in previous cameras.

Just a thought
  12. Steven Norquist

Steven Norquist Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2016
    Steven Norquist
    I have owned my E-M5 since it was first released which I think was 5 years ago. I have used it every day and have never had a single issue with anything on it, especially the soft and silky knobs and dials.
    The Pen-F feels barbaric by comparison, hard, metallic and clunky dials. I did not like it at all. I am sure the OMD II will be silky. Even my old film cameras from the 70's, 80's and 90's are much more silky and soft than the Pen-F.
  13. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    Love my Pen-F. No real issues. The light in viewfinder issue has been non-issue for me- even when wearing glasses.
  14. e55097

e55097 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 1, 2012
    I have sone problems with my pen-f.
    Sometime the viewfinder darkens and if you shot the picture will be underexposed. Only occasionaly but unpredictably . You have to change the shot and the problem disappears.
    Another problem: when you enlarge a picture to 14x the camera not always shows the true definition of the shot. Judt like it doesn't refresh the shot.
    Someone else has ever noticed that?
    Thank you
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I sympathize with your success.
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Olympus has had a lot of problems with dials failing. I suspect the overbuilt dials of the F are a response to that. I wonder what's on the EM1 II.
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  17. ph.

ph. Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    I use the Pen F because it is smaller than my FF Canon. The small size is useful with compact optics and the smaller sensor is adequate given that Olympus provides proper wide angles. MFT takes all kinds of lenses and has a proper viewfinder instead of Canons rear panel for "live view" that is useless in full daylight. I do not rely on autofocus and use raw files plus Phoptohop, so in-camera processing is irrelevant. My gripes concern controls which interfere with what wish to accomplish. The knobs are TOO easy to move.

The rotating rear wheel moves the focussing point when the camera is gripped hard. It moves the light meter spot and if the focus enlargement aim is expected to be in the middle, it is not. Fatal for some pictures.

The aperture correction wheel is useful. For instance to get a shadow scene dark instead of lit up as if measured on an 18%gray card. But if you carelessly grip the camera, but do not wish to correct an average or spot metered scene, you may for instance get your exposures + 2 or -2 apertures off.

My proposed remedy -if they ever get around to a firmware update- is to be able to set ANY wheel and button (except the menu button) to do nothing. Then one may turn them on as needed.

18. nick101

nick101 New to Mu-43

Jul 8, 2012
    A good example of how we experience things differently. I have E-M5 i and E-M5 ii and Pen-F. I have never been able to get comfortably to grips with the E-M5 i. That's not to say it's anything but a great camera, but, somehow, I can never get the 'muscle memory' to get the best out of it. OTOH, the E-M5 ii and the Pen-F fit me much better.

Hence my never-changing advice - handle before buying. A machine that fits you will give better results than one that doesn't, whatever the specs.
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  19. dmcgrew

dmcgrew Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    The continuous auto focus is terrible. I don't recommend it to anyone that takes photos of things that move. It's extremely frustrating.
  20. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The control dials/wheels are just digital encoders. The mechanical feel of the dials/wheels are due to the design of the detents, springs, etc., and has noting to do with the operation, ruggedness, MTBF, of the digital encoders.