Any Pro Shooters Using 43d's/M43d's???

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by scoutpro, Jan 28, 2010.

1. scoutpro

scoutpro New to Mu-43 Charter Member

Jan 28, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Most of us know the limitations of both the Standard 43d's & M43d's System, it's advantages and disadvantages; I am looking to find some good samples of 43d's System in some sort of "Pro" use/application/practicality. Everything from sample imagery to their camera setup, flashes, etc. I have yet to come across a working "Pro" or "Advanced Amateur" whether it be a Wedding Photographer or Fashion Shooter who uses either an Oly or Pany Standard 43d's/M43d's Camera System.

Let me know if you are one.

Thanks.

2. steve

steve Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Havertown, PA
    I'm a semi-pro wedding/portrait photographer. That means I have a real job to pay the bills and shoot professional when I can find people willing to pay me for it. I just recently purchased a GF1 for fun, but still use my DSLR for photo sessions. I think the image quality of the GF1 would suffice for most of the pictures that I do. But clients expect to see the big camera and bag of lenses. That's what sets us apart from the point and shooters. I might bring the GF1 to a wedding as a backup and mix some pics to see if anyone can tell the difference.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ben

Ben Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Apr 16, 2009
    London
    Irritatingly I can't find the link but there is an Italian pro photographer who was raving about micro four thirds and how he had switched. Think it was on 43rumors but there doesn't seem to be a search facility for that site. Will keep looking!

There are also a couple of frequenters of dpreview and photo.net (DianeB and Geoffrey) who are at least semi-pro.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think you were referring to Gianni Galassi and this post.

• Like Like x 8
  5. nTo

nTo Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Indonesia
    thanx Amin! i went through your link, and this line below is very encouraging! :)

In my next exhibition there will be at least one photograph made with that camera. I promise I will make a gift of that photograph to the first visitor who will guess which one it is.

6. Ben

Apr 16, 2009
    London
    Good memory!

7. Ben

Apr 16, 2009
    London
    Forgot this earlier

The shop in London (The Classic Camera) where I bought my G1 last year (and various other pricey Leica and Zeiss bits over the years....) told me that one of the first GF1s they sold was to David Bailey. No idea whether he is using it for much but who knows.

I also saw a documentary recently about Duffy and he had an EP-1 on a tripod in the background during a piece to camera.

That's two of the three greatest British photographers of the twentieth century (and the third is dead).

8. andrewaaa5

andrewaaa5 New to Mu-43

Apr 12, 2010
    scandinavia
    sorry, to dig up an old thread.

i am shooting a wedding for a friend soon. It is a 'free be', or a 'gift' from me.
    i have shot 3 church weddings previously, with a Canon DSLR setup (5D, 350D) and various lenses. To try and make myself less conspicuous, I never use a flash inside the church, but feel I am disturbing the atmosphere with the loud noise of the mirror in DSLRs.

I was therefore considering an ep-2 with the kit lens (14-42) for some (not all) of the ceremony shots.

Can anyone provide any input on this, or give any examples of such shots.

For now, I am not considering the Canon EF to 4/3 adaptor. Just the kit lens :)

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I've been wheedled into covering a wedding for my nephew and I intend to use the EP-2 exclusively. I need to check out the church for lighting and hopefully it'll be good enough not to require flash. My intent is to use natural lighting throughout. I don't intend to use the kit lens at all, as it's way to slow, in more ways than one.

Cheers

Ray

10. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Pro (Paid regularly) Motorsports photographer, however haven't had a chance to use the M4/3 body yet..... We'll see in a few weeks how it performs...

11. andrewaaa5

andrewaaa5 New to Mu-43

Apr 12, 2010
    scandinavia
    It would be great to see some of the images that you take, and have the feedback on the day.

What do you mean by too slow? Aperture, or focus speed? I was planning on using 'manual focus' not 'auto focus'.

12. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    This wedding won't happen until October, so lots of time to prepare. I don't know why I agreed to do this, as I swore off weddings, family or not, a long time ago. However, this time I'm not bound to provide specific results and I've given no guarantees about anything. I've basically said that I'm just going to be there and shoot whatever takes my fancy. I think I took this on as a challenge to m4/3s. :eek: Thankfully, I'm not going to be the only one taking shots, but for some reason they really wanted me as well. Go figure!

By slow, I mean both aperture and focus speed. AF speed is the worst aspect, but also with manual lenses, I don't have to worry about focus-recompose issues, which makes things faster again. Aperture is also an issue, as you can live with f3.5 at the 14mm end, but f5.6 at the 42mm end is seriously pushing things. I won't be using anything over f4 and only if the light is suitable. If the light isn't suitable, then I won't be using anything over f2.8.

Cheers

Ray

13. andrewaaa5

andrewaaa5 New to Mu-43

Apr 12, 2010
    scandinavia
    That's a good point. I forgot the aperture closes down to 5.6 at the Tele end. I guess this spoils this plan to use the kit lens. I don't think I will bother at all with the ep-2 idea for now, at least for the church interior shots.

14. sabesh

sabesh Mu-43 Veteran

I shoot paid Gigs on a part time basis. For weddings, I prefer using my Canon DSLRs for faster AF, easier-to-obtain-Bokeh and better high ISO performance. However, I did use my E-P2 for a pro model shoot recently & it worked out just fine.

15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member Subscribing Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I honestly don't see how you can shoot a wedding with m43s. Mostly for the scenarios where you are stuck without being able to use flash. High ISO performance just isn't there yet.

I'm on the fence on focusing. My brother's GH1 is pretty good, but not sure how it'd fair in the church.. or worse yet, in the even darker reception areas.

Now, if you have control of lighting, then I think it's fine, we're just short on glass that gives us shallow DOF, but workable. But I won't be switching. At least, for events. For my own personal use, I'm thrilled with my GF1. Even for portraits where I can control lighting, I find I might be able to just use it (only limited testing on myself). But it's hard to beat that 5D/135L combo =)

16. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I think that you can and that's why I've picked up the challenge. I'm going to just do natural lighting. I don't care if some of the stuff has to be done at high ISO, as I think it will still work. For example, these shots were taken indoors in pathetic lighting using the EP-2 and Voigtlander 50mm f1.1 at ISO6400 (I think they work OK):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as the reception goes, I'm not covering that at all, just enjoying myself. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 4
  17. EasyEd

EasyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Hey All,

An excellent question! You see so many people buying :43: as backups or family or casual cameras.

Is the :43: system to be taken seriously?

Are any "Pros" out there using :43:? In my case for landscapes not street, portraits, wedding, pet, etc. My interests lie primarily in landscapes including panos - for example images like

Barbara Jones
    http://photosecosse.com/

or the famous Peter Lik panos (look at any you like)
    http://www.peterlik.com/photography/horizontal

When I look at a final image it always comes down to a basic question - how much is the camera/lens how much is the processing? Of course you need the "eye" which is unquestionably the biggest variable!

Can a 12 MP micro 4/3rds Panny in my case do the kind of work in the examples above? Or am I handicapped "up front"? Either in terms of a camera body (iso performance or megapixels) or lenses? Would I have a better chance with say a Nikon D5000 or a Canon T2i? I can't justify the cost of a 3Ds and the like. Barbara Jones most advanced camera is a 50D and I've no idea what Peter Lik uses but I bet it's very high end. Of course the other issue concerns ruggedness and weather sealing.

-Ed-

18. OzRay

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    There's no reason why you can't do landscapes with m4/3s. Much will depend on how big you want to print from a single shot. If you do combined panoramas, then size of print becomes a moot point.

One advantage that you get with m4/3s is that you can go a lot further and longer into the field because you aren't lugging around as much weight. All you'd likely need to get shots like in your examples are two lenses, a 7-14mm and something over 14mm.

But one thing you don't really know is how those shots translate from screen to print. Peter Lik's photos will likely print very big, as he uses a Widelux film camera (in about section). Pretty much all of the world's best landscape photographers use larger format gear.

Cheers

Ray

19. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    if possible get a friend and some light and dark cloth and do a dry run at the church at the time and see what the possibilites are.... i think iso 800 is ok but it depends what size enlargments are gonna happen maybe iso 400??? and a fast 50??

20. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    the iso 6400 is good alot better than my ep1 seems to deliver, wee these pp ed to remove\ reduce noise?