1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Any Pentax K-01 experiences?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by agentlossing, Dec 25, 2013.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Has anyone here actually used this odd looking camera? It has an almost silly design that I nonetheless can't quite get out of my head. I would like to use it someday. It really doesn't seem to be flying off anyone's shelves, perhaps one day it will be available for pocket change?

2. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    It's quite an odd concept, isn't it. A mirrorless for the sake of itself, it seems to me. (I haven't any experience with it, just my opinions.)

3. Wasn't it cleared out with the 40/2.8 lens for less than $300? For this type of camera (and lens) I don't know if they could reasonably go much lower.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I had a K-01 for a while. It produced great images and I liked the fact it was different, but it was big and heavy and it was sometimes difficult to use the LCD in bright sunlight. I think it makes sense, at a discounted price, for someone that has access to Pentax glass. Otherwise, think there are better options in both m4/3 and APS-C.

I would really love to see Ricoh/Pentax develop a new mount/compact system camera, though!

5. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    go to the pentaxforums and look for the thread best shots with K-01
    fantastic IQ , and cheap secondhand these days
    with the 40mm pretty compact too

6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I had one and foolishly traded it away, mostly because of the VERY ridiculously implemented card door. I modified a Pentax-m lens to work properly with the K-01, and it was a pleasure to work with, especially on a tripod. The best IQ of any digital camera I have ever used. If you can ignore the ascetics, get one. It's a great camera.

7. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Amazing IQ. The firmware update makes it focus faster than most review sites suggested. I found the ergonomics to be very comfortable when held so that the thumb operates the shutter, which is a weird sounding thing to say but it worked well for that body.

It is a nice camera.

Most owners paid $450 for the body+40mm lens kit. It did go on clearance for $300, but that was short lived for the lucky few. I don't think that any unsold units remain, and if they did they probably wouldn't sell for 300 or less.

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I still have my K-01. It has the same sensor as the K-5 and K-30 DSLRs, and provides the same excellent image quality. Yes, it's large for a mirrorless camera but it's fun to use. That brick of a body is also particularly good ergonomically for people with larger hands. I find it more comfortable than many might imagine.

I also enjoy it's simplified (compared with most DSLRs) control layout. I use my Pentax DA Limited prime lenses almost exclusively with my K-01 but the camera will accept any K-mount lens. If you're looking for a camera for tripod work, you can't get much better.

Faults? Auto focus could be faster - but it has been vastly improved with a couple of firmware updates. If you buy a K-01, make sure you have the latest firmware version. On the other hand, the K-01's contrast-detection autofocus means you'll never have issues with front- and back-focus, which do occur with the phase-detection autofocus on most DSLRs. Did I mention that the K-01 has focus peaking?

Also, the rear LCD isn't that great in bright daylight. If you turn up the brightness as far as it will go, it's passable. But only that. I tend to use my K-01 indoors, in shade or on overcast days. As I said, it's a great camera for tripod work.

If you're curious or interested in the K-01, I'd say it's worth picking up - especially if you can find a leftover new or lightly used example for under $300. Pentax was clearing them out for around $200 for a while but the price has gone up because they've become harder to find.

I've thought more than once about selling mine - but notice how many people say they're sorry they let theirs go. If nothing else, the K-01 is likely to become a collector's item - an interesting, brave but flawed experiment produced by Pentax during a turbulent period in the company's history (it was in the process of being acquired by Ricoh).

If you buy one, try to get it with the DA 40mm XS "crepe" (flatter than a pancake) lens. That will be the collector's kit, especially with the yellow body. I wish I got the XS but I bought the body only because already had the DA 40mm Limited (same optics).

Hope this helps!

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    There's one sad lonely one at my BB there's been there forever. I keep waiting for them to clear it out and some ridiculously low price.

10. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Bring $200 cash and speak to a manager. They'd probably take your money.

• Like Like x 1
  11. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Wow, you guys are making me want one!

12. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm still jonesing for this camera. Help me, guys!

13. yorik

yorik Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 23, 2013
    Scotts Valley, CA
    Yonatan
    I bought one as a second body to go with my K5 for a little less than $300 last spring. Well worth it at that price - excellent IQ, and very useable in many circumstances. I'm keeping mine to give my son when he's a little older.

14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
  15. geomez

geomez New to Mu-43

Jan 25, 2014
    I've had a yellow one for about six months to accompany my Pentax K-5 IIs. It's a really wonderful camera with interesting esthetics which actually come in handy. People tend to get creeped out by big black dslrs, like their users are up to something devious. The K-01 on the other hand, especially in yellow, white, or blue, are non-threatening. So if I'm going somewhere and plan to shoot, wherever I don't need to be stealthy, I use my K-01. Family events, birthday parties, non-formal events, etc. It's also a great conversation starter whenever I have to converse with people I don't know. Oh, it also works to get babies to focus on you when you're shooting.

Esthetics aside, the IQ is great. I use it for macro exclusively. The lack of an OVF or EVF makes it harder to compose in direct sunlight, but when I'm out shooting macro outside, I use a hoodman loupe. That coupled with focus peaking makes nailing focus at macro levels in bright conditions a breeze.