1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Any Panasonic Lens Roadmap Updates?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DaveEP, Oct 21, 2014.

1. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    As I move more in to M43 and away from DSLRs one of the things I'm most wanting to see is a fast / wide prime. The latest roadmap from Panasonic I saw seems to be pretty much complete. Is there a new one around?

I know that Oly has the 12mm f2.0, but really it's not 'that' wide and not 'that' fast.

Voigtländer have announced the 10.5mm f0.95, which is great, and with it's 72mm ring we know fast (f0.95) can be done without being too big.

What I'd really like is a 10mm f1.2 from Panasonic / Leica, with AF of course :)

Hmmmm...... I wonder if anyone in Japan is reading this....... hint hint ;)

2. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    Cannot understand why you would want a 10mm f1.2, think it would be impossible to make it without the front element as big as a dinner plate. I would be happy with a 10mm f2.8 and not that fussed on auto focus as there would be plenty of depth of field.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bartjeej

bartjeej Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2012
    I fully agree with you Dave! If it were compact(ish) and weathersealed I'd buy it, and a m43 body to go along with it, right away.

Alan: fast superwides can be very useful for astrophotography, or for creating shallow DOF; don't let anyone tell you that wide-angles don't do bokeh. One of the most common uses for wide angle lenses is to get closer to your subject to create dramatic compositions; this shorter subject distance gains you about as much in DOF control as you gave up by going to wider angles. So in those cases, having a nice fast lens gives you more creative options. And that's also why AF on wide angles is just as useful as on longer lenses. Same goes for image stabilization by the way, but hardly any manufacturer seems to understand that. One more reason to love Olympus bodies...

4. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Given that the 10.5mm f0.95 is not a dinner plate (it's only 72mm), what makes you think an f1.2 would be? I don't see your reasoning for it.

In addition to the uses bartjeej mentions, I'm often needing to shoot inside venues with poor lighting, unable to use flash, unable to use a tripod, but still need a good wide angle POV. The DOF from even f1.2 will be great enough to make very useful pictures, something I may be totally unable to get with f2.8 because I'd have to bump the ISO too much.

5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    I've been waiting for an uwa prime for ages. :biggrin:

6. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    They've added a GM sized 30mm macro to the road map.

7. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    A choice I don't get at all. I would love a 90 or 100mm macro. I would love a fast super-wide, and I would love a high quality Tele zoom/prime w/OIS. A 30mm macro, no thanks.

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Kowa now have an 8.5mm and 10mm, but they're not small or cheap, and are MF.

Barry

9. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The Voigtlander has no AF or aperture motors so it can be smaller than an AF lens.

Barry

10. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    The widest brightest lens that Panasonic have is the 10.9mm F1.7 on the LX100.

I'd love to see them bring that to M43, I'm somewhat reminded of the Fuji X100 where they were a bit hesitant at first to make the 23mm F1.4 because they didn't want to initially cannibalize X100/S sales.

11. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I'm still waiting for a premium telephoto Lumix lens. With the GH4 having DFD fast continuous AF and high frame rate shooting, we need a telephoto to match, both in speed and quality.

Surely Panasonic realize this?

• Like Like x 1
  12. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    The lx100 does not have full sensor coverage.

Barry

13. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Unfortunately they do not. They killed development of the long fast telephoto zoom as they felt there was no market for it.

14. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    But they didn't kill the 150/2.8. Although it got removed from the 2014 calendar.

15. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    This. Panasonic really needs a high-end lens longer than 100mm. There is lots of untapped potential with the GH4 as the 100-300mm isn't really fast-focusing enough for action photography, DFD or not. A new, premium 100-300mm F/4 would simply be awesome and a great answer to the new Olys.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Edmunds

Edmunds Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    Manual focusing at wide angles is very easy, so I think the Voigtlander already solves your needs

I don't really think Panasonic will ever come out and say "we killed it". Removing it from the lens roadmap is already good enough to know they were thinking.

You can say Panasonic didn't kill it, because Olympus did. The reality is lens size is mostly determined by the longest focal length and aperture. A 150mm f/2.8 prime wouldn't be much smaller than the upcoming Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8, which is apparently really excellent at 150mm f/2.8 (as good as the 150mm f/2.0 prime) and has a price tag of only $1500 and already has a purpose built teleconverter.

• Like Like x 1
  17. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    My favorite macro lens on the Nikon FF is the 60mm 2.8 AFS (which I still have). So I think a 30mm macro is nice addition to the system!

18. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Panasonic *still* need that tele prime lens

Well they *did* come out and say no to a big tele zoom. It was a roadmap of lenses for 2014 release. ALL lenses that they are going to release next year were not on it. Whatever they are.

Not. At. All.

Although the fatty lard like 40-150 Oly is of some use to Panasonic owners, not many of them would be happy to have a 300mm equivalent lens with no IS.

Canon make a 135mm f/2.8 that weighs 390g and has a full frame image circle, and a 135mm f/2 L and 200mm f/2.8 L both at 750g. I reckon Panasonic can deliver something much in the middle. Primes are shorter too, or can be. The Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 is nearly 200mm long, but their 200mm f/2.8 L prime is only 135mm long.

A Panasonic 150/2.8 OIS weighing 500-600g (vs 900g Oly) and 110-120mm long (vs 160mm Oly) would be manna from heaven, and about 100x more desirable to Panasonic camera owners than the new Oly.

C'mon boys.

• Like Like x 2
  19. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The SLR gear testing of all the Olympus SHG lenses was with the Oly E410 body. If you look at some comparisons the Panny 12-35 is significantly better than the 14-35f2 (which I can say with confidence it is not), so this makes the conclusion that the 40-150 is better than the 150f2 not likely.

A 150f2.8 prime would be a nice addition to the m43 lens collection, I hope that this lens actually sees the light of day.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I also think a longer macro would be nice, but given that the 30mm is going to be sized for the tiny GM-line, it's likely more intended as a walk-about companion than a serious macro machine. Hopefully the price reflects that. It needs to be comfortably cheaper than the Olympus 60mm macro...