Any Panasonic G10 user reviews?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by S38, Aug 13, 2010.

1. S38

S38 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2010
    renton
    I am considering getting a G10, but I have been put off by the bad reviews in the media, in particular, the quality of the EVF...as well as high noise beyond ISO400. Currently I own EP-2 and while I am very happy with it I miss having an inbuilt viewfinder. I still compose quite a bit using the LCD, but some scenarios call for the use of a viewfinder. Now, I could get the G2 but I really detest the swiveling LCD...
    Anyhow, if any of you owns the G10, I would appreciate some input...

Thanks!

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Would you consider a G1. I started with an E-P2 but missed built-in VF and flash also. G1 lacks video but has a great VF and same sensor as the G10.

Have just ordered a GH1 and my G1 and E-P2 bodies are for sale in another thread.

3. S38

S38 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2010
    renton
    I thought, G10 had a possessor upgrade and is allegedly less noisy?!

4. richiebee

richiebee Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    St. John's, NL, Canada
    I got a chance to try the G10 the other day. The EVF complaint is a snob comparison to the G2. Sure, it's way lower resolution than that of the G2 but in practice I found the G10's EVF to be really excellent. I can't speak for your eyes, but I know there's enough resolution for mine. But then again, it is twice as many pixels as the EVF on my Canon S5, so I guess if you're coming from a camera with a very high resolution EVF, you might find it a little inferior.
    I've been trying to find lots of low light samples from either G2 or G10 (since they are from a photograph's perspective the same camera). I haven't seen much out there but haven't been disappointed by what I have seen. They take the same photographs. Same sensor, same firmware. So if you see photos from the G2, it'll be the same from the G10.

Here's some stats -

The EVF on the G10 has 202,000 dots
    The LCD on the G10 has 460,000 dots

The VF-2 for the E-P2 has 1.4million dots
    LCD screen on the E-P2 has 230,000

5. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    The higher resolution of the EVF will be important, if you have vintage lenses you have to focus manually.

6. S38

S38 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2010
    renton
    I use mostly legacy lenses and I don't have a problem focusing with the LCD, but as I said earlier, sometimes I need the viewfinder. What "worries" me most about the G10 is the amount of noise, even at ISO100! I downloaded some RAW files, Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Review - Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG to compare with Ep-2 and the Pani has more noise at ISO800 than Ep-2 at ISO1600. That's a whole stop, and the G10 has no in body
    stabilization....

I can't help but think that getting a G10 and getting rid of the Ep-2 will be a mistake.

7. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    When they first came out, I considered both the G10 and G2. I wear glasses to read and the following paragraph form the DPR review sent me in the direction of the G2.

The final word

The G10 is a very capable camera, and as an entry-level DSLR competitor it fulfils its purpose very well. It offers an excellent range of features and a lot of customization, but its 'auto everything' iA mode is on hand for those occasions when you just want to point and shoot.

As far as image quality and performance are concerned, the G10 is an exact match for its big brother the G2, and we're far more inclined to forgive its faults (slightly sub-par image quality above ISO 800 and fairly uninspiring continuous shooting in RAW mode) in a camera of this level.

What is a lot more difficult to forgive is Panasonic's decision to remove from the G10 two of the features that make the G2, G1 and GH1 so much fun to use. The G10's EVF is very poor compared to these cameras, and almost unusable in bright conditions where light leak from around the edges of the viewfinder can be very destructive to the viewing experience. This is most problematic for glasses wearers, but even without glasses, using the G10's EVF is a trial rather than a pleasure.

In our opinion the G10's fixed LCD screen is less of an issue, but it does make the camera less versatile in some situations than the G2. Ultimately, while we applaud the attempt, in trying to cut the cost of the G10, Panasonic has created a camera that lacks either the versatility of the G2 or the charm of the GF1.

I would add that i am quite happy with the G2. I don't use the articulating screen that often but do like the ability to turn the LCD inward for travel/storage in a bag and shoot that way on occasion. The touch screen which I thought might be a bit gimmicky is really well implemented and you still have the ability to use the traditional controls or a hybrid system based on your individual preferences.