Any other 14-54 Mk2 users here?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by robertro, Jan 9, 2011.

1. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I recently bought the 14-54 Mk 2 lens after selling my Mk1 version.

It seems noticeably faster to focus; in comparisons with my m4/3 lenses at 20mm, it is about as fast to focus as the kit lens, a bit slower than the 20 or the 14-140. On low contrast subjects - it fails to focus on a dimly-lit white wall, just like the kit lens; where both the 20 and the 14-140 can focus.

It provides a fast, high-quality zoom lens using a 4/3 adapter). In many ways, this is the lens that is missing from the m4/3 world - and ideal all-purpose, reasonably low-light, good bokeh zoom.

I haven't noticed much on it on the m4/3 forums and just wondered whether any of you were using it?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I got mine last week. I'll be selling it shortly.

Compared to the Panasonic 14-45 on the E-P2, autofocus is quite slow. In good light, it's 1.5 seconds or so. In medium or poor light, it sometimes fails to lock altogether.

While the lens is somewhat sharper than the Panasonic, corners are still not good at the wide end and it suffers from high levels of CA.

It's a shame because I like the faster apertures and the build quality of the lens, but the delay in focusing for even slowly moving subjects is unacceptable for me.

I dearly hope that the rumors of an upcoming Panasonic 12-50/2.5-3.3 are true. The platform badly needs a bright zoom with competitive AF.

Cheers!

DH

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2 - if anything turns out untrue, I hope the actual copy ends up a bit brighter. The focal length will be great

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

The Mk II is one of the 4/3 lenses optimised for CDAF - perhaps it does better on Pens than G series bodies. I notice DH is using a GF1 - what body do you use Robertro?

I had the Mk I when a 4/3 shooter and liked it until the 12-60 came out. The new 12-50 (if it appears) should be popular.

5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    FWIW, I'm using the 14-54 (and the Panasonic 14-45) on the E-P2, sorry, should have made that clear. No experience with the GF1.