1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Any of these Canon lenses worth saving for my m4/3?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by qball, Sep 6, 2010.

1. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Picked up a Canon AE-1 and 3 lenses today on CL.

Canon 100mm/2.8 S.S.C
    Canon 28mm/2.8
    Canon 50mm/1.8

I currently don't have a Canon FD to m43 adapter, so I'm wondering if any of these are worth getting an adapter and messing around with?

I know the 50/1.8 is the basic lens. I had an AE-1 Program as my first SLR years ago and had the 50/1.4 which was a nice upgrade to the basic lens. Don't have any experience with the 28mm or 100mm

Thanks,

Q

2. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    I'd keep them all, personally. :) 

3. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Yeah, I'm starting to amass a huge selection of lenses from Craigslist and various older 35mm bodies. LOL

My wife thinks I'm nutz.

4. walt_tbay

walt_tbay Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I would definitely keep these! I have a Cirrus adapter for Canon FD lenses with the 28mm f2.0, 50mm f1.2, and 85mm f1.8 (the 135mm f2.5 is on its way too). I use mine for low light situations. Yours should work well for those situations too.

5. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    Adapters are really pretty cheap anyway, and would be worth getting to at least give those lenses a try and see how they act in a digital world.

As for the lenses, I would keep them. The 50mm f/1.8 might be the weakest of the bunch since that was essentially the kit lens back in the day. The 50mm f/1.4 (both versions) and f/1.2 are much sharper and better built. All however will give you something you can't find in native m43 lenses though; a portrait length prime with a sub f/2 aperture.

6. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    I would definitely keep 100/2.8, in fact I'm considering buying one as I'm not entirely happy with my OM 100/2.8. It's compact for a telephoto and should be very decent optically.
    50/1.8 I would try to see if it's good enough (after all it uses the same adapter).
    Don't see much sense in 28/2.8 as it seems a bit large for m43, not very fast and FL is not ideal. But then again, it doesn't hurt to try if you decide to keep one of the other 2 :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.