Any odds of a iPad Pro announcement on Tuesday?

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My 12.9” iPad Pro gave up the ghost the day before my vacation started two weeks ago. Forced me to rock a 6 year old iPad Mini for the vacation for LR Mobile (man, that is a slow processor!) and now I’ve managed to limp the iPad Pro back to life but only when charging via the Magic Keyboard. Since it is my only “computer” I’m going to be replacing it, but it would be great if a new one could be announced in a couple days. If not, I’ll be ordering the current 12.9” Pro with the new display. What does everyone think?

Last edited:

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
True, but I’m just being optimistic. I know the current 12.9 Pro that is available would be splendid for my needs (since my currently hobbled model that is 2 releases into the past was also sufficient) but I’m always curious to what the next iteration might hold.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
After launch, there were 4-5 week waiting times to even get the 12.9 pro. I suspect the 2022 model will get the usual upgrades, like an updated Apple SOC, maybe some more RAM, maybe higher base storage, but I doubt they’ll do an update to the mini-LED display, as that’s what held back supplies early on. The current model is no slouch, and it already has more RAM than iPadOS really knows what to do with.

All that said, the 2020 model is an even better deal right now if you can find them.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think your in for a very pleasant time of it. A big iPad your only computer? I like your style! We could be friends. Lol

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think your in for a very pleasant time of it. A big iPad your only computer? I like your style! We could be friends. Lol
Yes, my current 12.9” has been my only computer (aside from iPhone) for the past 2-3 years. I do read/post on the forum from work sometimes on their PC, but all my photos, processing, and storing is on the iPad. I have zero complaints with this method as it works well for me. But unfortunately the iPad developed some sort of charging problem that the Genius Bar predicts will cost me over $400 to repair. At that price I’ll be a buyer for a replacement that is 2 models newer. Best part is my current Magic Keyboard and Pencil will slap right onto the latest version!

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
I have the current 12.9" iPad Pro and it is a remarkably capable machine; the new keyboard is a game-changer. While I have iMac Pros at home and the office anything that I do, with the exception of the screen size, I can do on the iPad Pro. Video editing while doable on the iPad Pro is another exception.

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The only computers my mom has ever used in her entire life is Samsung Galaxy S4 and Samsung Galaxy Tab A. It's normal now.

I only need a desktop for photo editing and games on a big screen ever since I bought a Lenovo Tab M8 for $100 CAD on Boxing Day. Maybe one day a tablet will replace desktop completely for me. Look the Nintendo Switch, portable, but also connects to the TV.

Ipad is much more expensive though, and I would not expect them to malfunction so soon. After only a few years? Hopefully my Lenovo lasts 5 years at least.

A desktop can be cheaper and last a long time if you carefully select the parts and build it yourself instead of getting an overpriced pre-built machine with unknown parts. Of course, pre-built is the only option with tablets.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ipad is much more expensive though, and I would not expect them to malfunction so soon. After only a few years? Hopefully my Lenovo lasts 5 years at least.
Yes, I was surprised too. I’ve had quite a large bit of experience with iPads, Macbooks, iPhones, Watches, and even a few iMacs (Ran the MDM program from the hardware side at the 330+ employee law firm I work at) and this is the first time I’ve seen an iPad failure this early aside from the occasional shattered screen when returned by a lawyer on the road. They have been reliable enough for me that I have long since quit purchasing any extra coverage and stuck to the basic AppleCare. Oh well…sometimes you get bit.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
Yes, I was surprised too. I’ve had quite a large bit of experience with iPads, Macbooks, iPhones, Watches, and even a few iMacs (Ran the MDM program from the hardware side at the 330+ employee law firm I work at) and this is the first time I’ve seen an iPad failure this early aside from the occasional shattered screen when returned by a lawyer on the road. They have been reliable enough for me that I have long since quit purchasing any extra coverage and stuck to the basic AppleCare. Oh well…sometimes you get bit.
I always purchase AppleCare. I had issues with the first 5K iMac which made a believer out of me. The people that we house and some of our mentors provide a steady stream of new ways to cause problems with devices.

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Took in everyone's comments here, gambled, and ordered a new 12.9" Pro on Sunday night. Didn't increase the storage capacity at all so it is truly a simple replacement for mine - albeit I went from a gen3 to gen5 version. It arrived yesterday while I was at work and I restored it from a recent backup. First thoughts are that it really doesn't seem different from my last one. Sure, it has two generations better processor, but for 90% of my use it still loads news apps, weather apps, and mu-43 just fine regardless of processor. We will see if I notice any improvements when I process some pictures after this upcoming weekend in PA.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Quadna71

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I always purchase AppleCare. I had issues with the first 5K iMac which made a believer out of me. The people that we house and some of our mentors provide a steady stream of new ways to cause problems with devices.
Deciding to purchase extended AppleCare is always a very complicated decision. I've had great luck over the years with products and have never felt the need to have a total of 3 years of coverage compared to just the included 1 year. But I did a quick cost analysis on this one to see where I would've landed.

2 years of AppleCare for my iPad would've been $129 and the service fee to use that purchased service would be an additional $69 - for a total of $198 out of pocket to have the iPad repaired. I opted to purchase a complete replacement and am trading back in my old iPad. It would no longer charge at all via the Magic Keyboard, wasn't recognizing the pencil, and seemed to charge up extremely slowly when plugged directly in...yet they are still saying I'll get $510 back in a refund once they receive it. Since I paid $1079 (mil discount) for the new iPad, once (if!) I get the promised $510 back on my old iPad, I'll then be out a total of $569.

So I could pay $198, be out my iPad for a couple weeks, and end up with the same gen3 iPad. Or I could pay ultimately $569, not be without my iPad for any length of time, and end up with the newest gen5 version. For a difference of $370 or so it was worth it to me to go with the new device. Obviously everyone's case is different and this might not have been the most fiscally responsible decision...but I use the darn thing all the time so having it newer/reliable made sense.

Now....will I get extended AppleCar on this one? Not sure. My first thoughts are no - but I'll talk it over with my wife a little and see what her thoughts are on it. Either way I have a year to decide, right?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom