Any (non)Wacom tablet suggestions?

ADemuth

Mu-43 Veteran
In my experience the lack of drivers is a greater problem with consumer level devices like the Bamboo rather than those perceived as being for the 'pro' market like the Intuos range(s).

Brad Colbow on YouTube reviews non-Wacom tablets such as this one posted April '20. He's a graphic artist but most of his points are relevant to us photo editors.

One would hope this would be true but posts by Intuos users that are experiencing the exact same problem as I am are the very posts that have guided me to fixing Bamboo in the past.

The Huion seems to have a nice following, and apparently there are some open source drivers available for it. Unfortunately there is no multi-touch support, which is a big non-starter for me. Using a pen for CAD sucks - pick up pen, select some stuff, key in tool or function with left hand put pen down, input value on ten key, search for pen on floor because it rolled off... whereas always having your "mousing" hand free is great for tool selection, value input etc. Also, multi-touch on a tablet moves a model around very intuitively for me. It's almost like having a SpaceMouse Pro, without the incredibly high price tag and singular functionality.

Gotta question about your XP-Pen Deco 03 - does it function as a touchpad (with just fingers) as well as a pen tablet? The new Windows update buggered my working setup. I don't think I'm willing to do the driver dance too many more times.

Last edited:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Gotta question about your XP-Pen Deco 03 - does it function as a touchpad (with just fingers) as well as a pen tablet? The new Windows update buggered my working setup. I don't think I'm willing to do the driver dance too many more times.
Good question! I'll need to try and see. :D I'll get back to you once I've tried.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Tried it briefly while editing photos in Lightroom. Touching the pad with my fingers did absolutely nothing. No pinch zoom, no nothing.

Latest threads

Top Bottom