Any Need for 75m After 35-100m

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by aukirk, Apr 27, 2013.

1. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    Since getting the Pany 35-100, I have found myself never taking the 75m (or 45m for that matter) with me.

Today I decided to take the 75 in one pocket, 45 in the other and started the day with the 25 mounted. After spending some time with all three lenses, I think I have very little use for the 75.

Although it has great build quality and delivers beautiful results, I just don't know if I am going to bring it out with me instead of the 35-100. Both are relatively 'big' when stuffed into cargo pockets. Unless I am shooting inside in a dark area, I just don't know I would pull it out?

I think the 45m has a place, as it is so small you don't notice it in the pocket and it is a great portrait and inside lens. However, I think I am falling out of love with the 75.

I have been using nearly exclusively prime lens over the past year since renewing my interest in photography and I had very little interest in even getting a zoom. However, after having the 35-100 for a few weeks I find it is on the camera more and more. Part of me feels like that is a bad thing.
  2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    matter of taste. For me, with the Canon 'equivalent' setup (135L and a 70-200/2.8), I sold off the zoom. Despite the fact the IS and range made it more flexible in most settings, I just far preferred working with and the results of the 135L (still do).

Matter of taste.
  3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I have the two Panasonic zooms and the 45/1.8 and 75/1.8 Olympus primes. The justification (if there is one) is the ~1 stop greater speed and subject isolation. I admit that's somewhat marginal for most of us.
  4. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    To be honest...2 weeks ago when I finally took out my still-in-the-box 35-100mm and took some portraits..I could not believe the creamy bokeh I was getting with this lens. Really REALLY impressed me.
  5. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Tonight, I just came back from a dimly lit comedy club where the 75mm did the trick. It's so sweet. It is a lens I second guess from time to time, toying with what else I could get with the money I sell it for, but it keeps proving useful.
  6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    f/2.8 to f/1.8 is closer to 2 stops than 1, however at 45 mm, the DOF difference is pretty minimal.
  7. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    I second this motion. Other than the versatility that the 35-100mm provides, I didn't see how I could have both in my kit so I sold it within a week of procuring it. It does provide creamy enough bokeh with the the keyword here being "enough" (i.e. nowhere near as magical as with the 75/1.8). When Oly comes out with a f/2.8 zoom that has a further reach, I'll buy that.
  8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    It is all a matter of personal and of what and how you shoot. I have both and I'm keeping both, but the zoom sees a lot more time on the camera. If the 75mm was a 90mm or 100mm or if I shot a lot of portraits, it would probably be a different story.
  9. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    It's just a matter of taste! I've recently rented the 35-100mm and the 75mm, and I certainly would keep the latter. When using the zoom, I'd often just stick to one focal length and use it as a prime anyway.

Another factor to consider is how a lens works with the rest of your system and usage. I've been considering selling my 45 and purchasing the 75mm permanently, as the 45 feels a bit closer to my 25mm f1.4 than I'd like. But then there's also that 43mm f1.2 on the way...
  10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Actually, it's closer to 1 stop than 2. F/2.8 to f/1.8 is 1 1/3 stop.
  11. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Here's a few from that night, processed in Photoshop B&W with channel mixer.