Any m43 teleconverters?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by JoepLX3, Jun 16, 2010.

1. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Hi There,

Not 200% sure if this subject should be here, but I would hope AF and IS of native m43 lenses would be supported with such teleconverters.

Any m43 teleconverters (on any roadmap / in any rumor)?

I can imagine why Panasonic and Olympus would not make such thing, but I can also imagine why other companies would.
    - Are there any technical reasons with holding them from making m43 teleconverters for native m43 lenses?
    - How would the 20 mm F1.7 perform on a 2-3x teleconverter?

Best regards,

Joep

2. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    I'd guess no TCs are there are no native m43 lenses fast enough to still AF with them properly, kinda missing the point.

And why would you put a TC on the 20mm, rather than just use the 14-45, which would give you much, much better results.

3. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Why would AF become slower on a lens with a teleconverter (if electronic signals are transfered correctly)?
    On top of that imagine you don't have a 14-45....

But maybe you are totally right if effectively a 20 mm F1.7 prime icw teleconverter becomes "as bad as" a kit zoom lens then it indeed doesn't make much sense. Does IQ go down that fast with a teleconverter? I am aware it won't be any competition towards the 45 mm F2.8 prime, but I was not sure about the comparison with "any" zoom, really also worse?

Hmm, maybe I should take the time and find out how the F number translate by teleconverters....

4. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Well, a 1.4x TC takes away 1 stop of light and I believe a 2x TC is at least 2 stops if not more (may depend on the type and number of elements). With my Pentax 50-135mm F2.8 I can use a 1.4x TC in good light and achieve focus, but in average to poor light (indoors with lighting on), it can't lock onto focus - too dark. Adding a 2x TC to anything but the 20mm f1.7 puts the fastest F stops up into the F7.1-8 range, through which a camera would not be able to focus. That is just my general take, anything I have wrong feel free to correct!

5. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    what im waiting for is the opposite of a teleconverrter useful and designed for wide lenses .... even bringing the crop factor to 1.5 would be major

these are made for telescopes .... a focal reducer

6. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    And do you think they will come?

7. adam

adam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryland
    There are no mFT lenses for which a teleconverter would be useful. Teleconverters only really work with fast zooms and long primes, neither of which exist for mFT.

TCs generally have bad effects on a lens. A 1.4x TC takes away one stop of light, and makes the image a bit softer, and adds a bit of barrel distortion and chromatic aberration. When you're dealing with a fast sharp lens, this sometimes isn't a big issue...they're commonly used with 70-200 f/2.8s on those systems which have such a lens. 2x TCs take away two stops of light and have much more severe effects on image quality...they're most commonly used on 200mm f/2, 300mm f/2.8, and primes of that nature that can still AF with two stops less light and can far outresolve the sensor of most cameras to start with.

I'd love to see if someone could make a compact 70-200 f/2.8 or similar for mFT, and that would be a good lens to use with a teleconverter, but I don't think it's likely to happen. A focal reducer though...that could be very interesting and practical for mFT. Especially for the 20 f/1.7...

8. chylld

chylld Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 13, 2010
    i would love to have an MFT teleconverter, even if it doesn't pass through AF since i plan to use it with my new nokton 50/1.1 anyway :) (e-pl1 body) even with a 2x tc it'd be a 100mm f/2.2 which sounds perfectly usable to me

9. Auntiepode

Auntiepode Mu-43 Regular

I imagine the closer focusing of a 20mm f1.7 with a 2x teleconverter would work a treat in many situations.

10. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Somebody any experience?

11. JoepLX3

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
  12. Auntiepode

Auntiepode Mu-43 Regular