Any m43 extension tubes with controls pass-through?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Auntiepode, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Auntiepode

Auntiepode Mu-43 Regular

A recent thread asked about telextenders. Of more interest to me, does anyone offer extension tubes to fit micro 4/3 that include the electrical connections to support full lens features?

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

The short answer is no. They would have to be proprietry products and hence expensive. A lot of macro enthusiasts prefer manual focus anyway. Have you seen these first noted by OzRay? They look to be well made.

3. Auntiepode

Auntiepode Mu-43 Regular

I was more concerned about the aperture control than the focus. Aperture control is electronic on M4/3 lenses. The rings you mentioned would force me to use my m43 lenses wide open.

4. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Whatever, the first answer applies, there are no macro extension rings for m4/3 that allow any electronic control to "pass through".
    As bilzmale states they would be expensive, more expensive than the combination of tubes which OzRay persuaded a chinese manufacturer to produce together with a suitable s/h legacy lens. I have them and can confirm that they are fit for purpose.
    The alternative is to use the dedicated 4/3 to m4/3 adapter together with a suitable 4/3 macro lens, I use a Sigma 105mm macro which retains the auto stop down feature, but not auto focus, or the 45mm m4/3 Leica Panasonic macro. It all depends on what purpose you intend to put them to. Live insects in the field for example are well catered for by the 105mm macro, they tend to be more difficult to approach with the 45mm since you need to be that much closer to fill the frame. Flowers on the other hand would be well catered for by the 45mm lens.
    If the macro use is a "still life type" then the manual tubes and a suitable s/h legacy lens would be the cheaper combination.

Barrie

5. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    I would also like to see a 1x extender at size of adaptor that passes through aperature as well as focus control :wink:

6. Auntiepode

Auntiepode Mu-43 Regular

Note that to pass through the electronic signals *ought* reasonably cheap to do. Each tube would need a plastic block with contacts on each side, wired together. The contacts would simply be electrical passthrough connections - no computer chips required. Yes, they won't be dirt cheap, but the design requirements would be relatively simple. The camera side would need 11 gold plated contacts. The lens side would need 11 gold plated pin contacts. In volume, that ought not be expensive and it doesn't require any complex reverse engineering.

7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Yes, good theory, however low demand, high price, just look at the prices for the Olympus extension tube and teleconvertor produced for the 4/3 system, sorry but that's the reality of the situation.

Barrie

8. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Shall we order 10 together? :wink:

Or should we just ask a company, that makes adapters, what it would cost to make?

We have > 2,000 members on this forum:
    - 1, 10, 100, 1000 or 10,000 adapters

Hmm, together we of course should select one type, is that possible?

And if we have these contacts, would it not require a firmware update from Olympus / Panasonic to support those lenses?