1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Any love for the Olympus 40-150 1:4-5.6 R msc ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mauve, Feb 9, 2018.

1. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I got one attached to a camera I wanted, and telezooms are not my cuppa so I was looking to sell it, but in order to test it for defects before writing the listing, I did a couple of snaps of the garden out of the window, and... wow. This thing is really surprisingly sharp. Of course it's on the slow side of the consummer products, but I'm really tempted to keep it. And also it's so ridiculously light that I could hand hold it @150mm for almost a second without visible blur on the e-m5.
    Now I'm torn...

M.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    It really doesn't bring much on the secondary market. Especially when Olympus sells it for <$100 during discounts. It's worth it to keep around.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    I have one and I use it as my travel telephoto. I bought it during one of the sales at B&H for $99 shipped. It's really a very nice lens. I also have the 40-150 2.8 with the MC14, but it's too big and heavy for some travel destinations. For what you'll get, I'd keep it. There's a thread here about the lens, and you should look at it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Artaius

Artaius Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2017
    instagram.com
    /jamesartaius
    Criminally underrated lens! Along with the 14-42 pancake this is one of the gems of the M43 system to me – sure they're slow, but their unique properties are what makes this such an incredible format.

Agreed, this doesn't have a lot of resale value so I would advise hanging onto it. One random day you'll be out somewhere and in need of a little extra reach and you'll be grateful you did!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I have always maintained, even back in the 4/3rds days, that every version of the 40-150mm Oly has ever made have always been outstanding, even the kit lens versions. They simply have that optical formula down. I use the ZD 50-200mm with my E-M1 still but I too bought the 40-150 "R" as a light travel lens. And once again Oly has proven that every 40-150mm "kit" lens they have ever made are a terrific bargain/value.

As other pointed out, the resale value is low. Right now you can buy a brand new one off Amazon.com for only $99US. So for the MAYBE $60US or whatever you get out of it, you might be better served just keeping it as a really small, really light, carry in your bag all the time lens when you are not carrying one of your heavier longer zooms.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  6. robfilms

robfilms Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2017
    metro nyc
    what is the difference, if any, between the "r" version and the previous examples of the oly 40-150mm?

thanks in advance.

be well.

rob

7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Lighter build (plastic everywhere), more silent (msc badge), faster to focus. Otherwise, I was told it's the same picture quality.

See camerahoarder review here.
    M.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. twigboy

twigboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2016
    Virginia
    You should be :) 

You described the lens succinctly. But even slow lenses work in situations. And I don't recall any recurring problems with it either -- like some other lenses where focus rings fall off or ribbon cables break inside.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Lots of love for it. Awesome and practical lens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I prefer the Panny side of things (on my Panny bodies), but if I had one that came with a camera, and I shoot Oly, I would keep it. Super light and compact, and you might net -- what -- US$50 if you resell it? I would recommend keeping it, especially since it sounds like it's your only tele (?) so think of it as a super cheap option for those "just in case" times :) 

11. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Well, basically, I bought it as a glorified bodycap. I had no high hopes for price, but I live in a big city where space is a premium, so I try to cut back on clutter (and man, do photography tends to create clutter !). Hence, even 60 € would have been a fair price for something I had no intention to use. But I start to feel the "usage value" is worth more to me than this.
    My other tele is an OM 135/3.5 :rofl:
    OTOH, I just wanted to have a 2nd "bang around" body for those times it might be inconvenient or unsafe to pull the E-M10-II out, I did not envision building a "zooms kit" to tag along my "primes kit", but it looks like that's what's happening.
    Cheers,
    M.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  12. Orbmiser

Orbmiser Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2017
    Portland,Or.
    And the very reason as Ibis in body helps negate some of that slower variable f-stop madness!
    Was also attached to my first dip in m4/3rds to a used EM-1.
    And supplied many great images and a great to hang onto as you won't get much for it.

Just pulled it out the other day as been shooting my recently acquired 12-40 f2.8.
    Still quite capable of getting the shot. And great general lens when wanting to isolate subjects.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The other way to look at it is, I don't think that lens will drop much farther in value, so there's no loss in keeping it for 6 months and see what you think. It will probably still fetch 60 € 6 months from now.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Those are some very nice images indeed!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. Ed Pledger

Ed Pledger Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 10, 2017
    Houston
    It is a keeper, makes the performance of much more expensive lenses “incremental” while being exceedingly light and compact. Used it on my EM1 to shoot snaps at a wedding and found later that my images of the couple exceeded those of the “professional Canon” shooter, who charged them thousands....sharpness and color were both better. But that’s a personal preference, tastes vary. They were sold some of those over-exposed dreamy pastel looking images, whereas my pics had solid natural colors and detail. I have some excellent wildlife pics also. Don’t mind taking it to the beach, as replacement would not be expensive.

• Like Like x 2
  16. If you don't have something that will completely replace it, keep it. It's the cheapest lens that does what it does very well optically (assuming your have IBIS and don't need OIS).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    I have it and carry it when hiking usually combined with the O14-42, as they weigh nothing. OTOH, I've gotten virtually no keepers with it. My copy seems to have low contrast and lots of flare compared to other lenses I own.

I think I paid about $100 for it when I got it for my original E-M5 years ago.

18. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    For travel, I usually pack the Oly. 14-150 II as a weather-sealed all-rounder. But I prefer the Oly. 40-150 R with the Pan. 12-32 for corner-to-corner sharpness. I really should use those lenses more.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Orbmiser

Orbmiser Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2017
    Portland,Or.

Hmmm wondering bad copies?
    As so many others recommend with hight regards of a "Most Bang for the Buck" lens.
    As can be had for under $100.

38664515464_ec5a8bd7cd_n. 38844127991_62597d248a_n.

As found sharp and with in-body ibis usable even in lower light situations.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Only had mine a couple of weeks but have decided to part with it. Not because of IQ as I think it's a great lens but because I want longer reach so selling (already had offer of A$150 when I only paid A$185) to fund 75-300. I reckon this will more or less cover the reaches I'm losing as I already have the 14-42 and have the 60 macro coming. It does give nice images though. Just hope I don't regret it.

Click image for exif but the last image was taken with the canon 100-400L mkll. Not much in it in my book and yet it's A$2.3k versus A$180.

25308319487_b9cab2fd33_b. Succulent flower Olympus Zuicko 40-150 test (4) by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

40158564251_eab4899a1b_b. Olympus 40 -150 Test by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

40126069062_75e8f1a6f9_b. St Andrews Cross Spider by Kevin Dickinson, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.