1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any Love for the E-P3 Anymore?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Biro, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I currently have an E-PM1 but have been considering gifting that to a deserving relative and the picking up the E-PM2. But I just noticed that Cameta Camera is offering a refurbished factory demo E-P3 body with one-year warranty for $379. I have always liked the E-P3 with its better build, built-in flash and higher-resolution 614k OLED touchscreen. But the pricetag was always a bit high.

With the advent of the OM-D and now the E-PL5 and E-PM2, all of which have that great 16mp Sony sensor, the "old" 12mp E-P3 is all but forgotten. Does anyone have any thoughts on this camera and the relative merits of the deal Cameta is offering at this point in time?

2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    The E-P3 feels great. Solid body, beautiful screen, nice ergos.

But I'd take the E-PM2 every time.

3. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    The dual wheel of the E-P3 is important for me and the E-PM2 / E-PL5 release haven't given me a viable upgrade path. I'm assuming Oly has some plan to create an E-P5 in the following months.. but in the meantime, the E-P3 is still good with the touchscreen and controls. It's only lacking feature is the new sensor.

4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    +1

5. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I still have my Ep 3 and will probably keep it for a while yet. The allure of the OMD and the newer Pens has been calling for a while but the EP 3 still produces great photographs and I love the way the controls are laid out. I will probably hold onto it for a while longer and add a few lenses to my kit rather than upgrade. My feelings are the next generation of Olympus cameras may be worth the wait.

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I think the E-P3 is still highly capable and hugely undervalued at the moment. While the sensor has been one-upped the E-P3 is still a "photographer's camera", with great ergonomics and controls. And I'm not just saying that because I have a nice black one for sale. Really. Truly. :smile:

7. dnightingale

dnightingale Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Darren
    I'm sure there is plenty of love for the E-P3. In fact, I have an E-P2 and still love the solid feel and great ergonomics. I doubt I will ever sell it. Of all the cameras I have... OMD, X-Pro1, Nikon's, GX1 etc... There is something very enticing and alluring about the E-P range. From an emotional point of view, which is important to me when taking pictures... The closest and only other camera I've found to give me that emotional buzz the E-P does is my X-Pro1.

It may not technically be the greatest IQ, but the photo quality is as good now as it was when it was new :wink:

8. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    E-P3 us a great camera. The extra money you save spend it on the lens.
    I am now convince then ever that the controls and handling is really important.

9. stonetape72

stonetape72 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    I recently got an E-P3 to use alongside my E-M5 - I've put a VF-2 viewfinder and P20 lens on it and I absolutely love it. Right now I leave the Oly 75mm on my E-M5 and then whip out the E-P3 whenever I want to take a wide shot. It's pocketable too with the P20 on it.

10. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I often do the same thing with the E-PM1. Sometimes I use the P14, which makes it even more pocketable. It can be a bit more portable than the E-P3 - but not if you have the flash mounted on top. I find that if I'm going to need the flash, I have to mount it or I'll lose it. So the E-P3, in the real world, won't give up much too much compactness and would give me more controls and a nicer feel. Plus my Zukio 14-140 is likely to be much better balanced on the E-P3. I occasionally use it on the G3 and it works fine - no IS, though.

11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The E-P3 is my main camera - I love the feel and the control layout. The only way I could be happier is with the sensor and IBIS of the OM-D. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    OMG, the E-P3? That is so last year, dude! That's like, 2011. How lame! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  13. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    E-P3 fan here too...other than the OM-D none of the newer offerings has the right combination of sensor and controls to warrant an upgrade for me. It is really a solid, all-around performer. It's a shame there was never a dedicated E-P3 image thread here because it does seem to be under-represented.

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    With the the E-P3 you gain primarily in handling and style. With the E-PM2 you gain in image quality and features.

For me, the question boils down to this: are a built-in flash, better LCD and nicer set of controls worth 2x the price of an E-PM1?

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    A gain in style is all a Gentleman needs.

Holding out for the e-P5 ... :|

16. Kees

Kees Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Kees Dignum
    Excellent camera. In my opinion (much) better ergonomics and build quality than any other Olympus mirrorless camera. I have been using it since it's introduction (on a daily basis) and it hasn't failed a single time. I personally don't consider the new PENs (nor even the E-M5) an upgrade.

17. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    I love my E-P3, and I still use it whenever I don't feel like using my E-M5, and of course assuming my wife lets me "borrow" it since she claimed it when I upgraded LoL. I think it takes great photographs, and I like the body style, honestly only reason I upgraded to the E-M5 at all, was for once I had a small surplus of money, and I wanted to use a viewfinder and the hotshoe for flash etc.

I think that with camera's like computers there is always a "next big thing" right around the corner, and there are those who likes to be early adopters of that new shiny tech. Which is excellent cause it allows for people to get nice tech thats not new in good shape :p

18. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    +1.

I kept my E-P3 as a second body and then didn't use it for months after getting my E-M5. I've recently started using it again and I'm enjoying doing so. I have to think a bit differently using it because I don't have the same leeway with highlights and the control layout is different which slows me down, and both of those are probably good things for me. I'm basically using the E-P3 as the carry everywhere camera at the moment and picking up the E-M5 when I want to specifically go out and shoot.

19. It only needed someone who had an E-P3 to start one.

20. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I sold my E-P3 when I bought the E-M5 and wish I would not have. Miss the little guy!

I know a lot of people are looking for rangefinder-styled body with an built-in VF, but I would be really happy with an E-P3 with the new sensor. A couple nice to haves would be an electronic shutter and using the same batteries as the OM-D. :biggrin: I'm going to hold out for this mythical E-P3 upgrade, or maybe jump on a GX2 when it is released.