Any legacy lens recommended for new u4/3 owner?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by New Daddy, Jan 24, 2011.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I've just bought a GF1, and a GH1 purchased at a great price at Panasonic.com is going to arrive in a couple of days.

So far I have, or will soon have, Panny 20mm/1.7; Panny 14-42mm; 40mm or 50mm fixed focal < f2.0 (undecided on the make); and Panny 45-200mm. I think my lens line-up is pretty complete for an amateur, but can it be complemented by another legacy lens(es)?

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I would recommend not buying anything else until you have a chance to get used to what you have. You have more than enough to keep you busy for a while. Learn what you have in order to learn what you want or need.

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Daddy..... go make photos....your loaded with glass already.....
    what software are you running....?

4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Ditto. Play with what you have.

5. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    That's another thing. I don't have any software. (Well, I have ACDSee that has limited editing capability. It's not suitable for high-quiality PP, but I've had it since my early P&S days.)

I thought of getting Adobe Light Room. But the thing is, I already have a lot on my plate, what with my job, helping my wife with the kids, home improvement, etc. Even short of serious PP, I spend considerable amount of time just selecting/cropping/resizing photos to put them up on the family flickr account, so my folks can view them. Realistically, I don't think I'll want to spend time in serious PP.

6. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello,

I agree with Shooter.... fire away, you have plenty of glass...

7. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    On Windows and Mac the latest Photoshop Elements comes with some nice organizing capabilities. FYI.

8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Go take some photos...after you've exhausted what you can do with what you have THEN you might think about legacy glass.

9. bogolisk

bogolisk Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    Picasa. free and more than good enough unless you're into serious pp.

10. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Have you guys heard of GIMP, as powerful if not more than Photoshop CS and completely free. Concerning derawtization Rawtherapee is completely free and does a hell of a job. Those are available on MAC OS X, Windows and Linux.

11. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    If the legacy itch just must be scratched, and you are interested in portraiture, may I recommend a Canon FD new 50mm f/1.4. Shot wide open or stopped down 1 stop, you can achieve magnificent shallow DOF portrait work. And the lens is not expensive... There are a ton of them on eBay. The image is just a tad softer (and lower contrast) when wide open, which is actually one of the nice qualities of the lens for portraits. And of course you can dial that as you want it to be in post. This lens is great fun to use and gives striking shallow DOF results with great bokeh.