Any issues with RainbowImaging Adapters?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by zacster, Nov 28, 2011.

1. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    I have a few Pentax K mount lenses that I want to use and these seem as solid as any in that price range. I can't see spending close to $200 for an adapter, I'd just buy an equivalent lens for that price, or at least towards a native lens.

Are they smooth and do they dismount easily? That's my biggest concern with the cheapo adapters is that they get stuck on the brand new E-PM1 body. The lenses I'll use haven't been used in 20 years, so I'm not too worried about them.

I have a Tokina Kmount 70-210, a Pentax SMC-A 35-70, a Yashinon 50 f1.7 screw mount, and a Nikon AF 28-80. Nothing particularly great, but worth a try, except maybe the Nikon as it probably is barely worth the cost of the mount, given the range I have with the Pentax lenses, plus the 14-42 kit lens.

Also, since this camera is for my daughter and it her first serious camera, I'm not sure a manual focus lens will be the best thing, although when I was her age, all we had was manual focus (that Yashinon lens btw).

I was trying to find an address for RainbowImaging but they don't seem to have one. They are in Brooklyn is all I can tell, and so am I.
  2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have M, K, and m42 adapters from them. The quality difference with the higher priced ones are noticable BUT I have not had any issues with them. if you intend on putting the adapters throughh heavy use, I think the extra cost is worth it. Look closely at the pics of the mount... nicer ones use leaf springs the others use bent flanges.

As for K mount adapter, there are two types; with and without aperture control. I spent the extra dollars for an additional K mount adapter with aperture control. Cmes in very handy especially when I adapt macro lenses stopped down to f11 or so. Mine was fro fotodiox but I think rainbow has them now..
  3. usayit

You can contact them either through their ebay account or their store front in Amazon
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You should send them email (either through eBay or Amazon) and ask them if you could pick one up from them locally. ;)

For the type of adapters you're looking at, they will provide sufficiently fine quality.
  5. Gordy

Gordy New to Mu-43

Nov 6, 2011
    I have a Rainbow Imaging adapter for my Leica M-mount lenses. It doesn't lock, which is annoying, but it was cheap, works well otherwise, and works with my 50mm dual-range Summicron, which my MUCH more expensive Panasonic adapter does not.
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've got one for Canon FD lenses that works fine with my Canon lenses. It doesn't, however, work well with my cheapo m43 extension tubes. The tolerances between the tubes and the adapters are too loose, but the tubes work with my Panasonic lenses, and the Rainbow works with my FD lenses, so I guess I can't really complain.
  7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    They also have a regular web store front now: RainbowImaging

I have several Rainbow Imaging adapters, including 3 Pentax K ones - I keep them on the lens since they are inexpensive. It allows me to switch lenses faster.
  8. usayit

Maybe different production runs but my Leica M adapter fro the, does lock. The two examples I have do have some slight differences.....
  9. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I've had both good and bad adapters, expensive and cheap. It's up to you whether the better functionality is worth it to you, but I will never buy a cheap adapter again. Kipon, Metabones, and RJ camera all work smoothly enough that they're worth the price increase over the cheapo ones for me. They have the same tolerance as factory mounts, focus perfectly to infinity (no more, no less), and they hold the lenses on well.

That being said, only your Yashinon is really worth adapting. As for your other lenses, if you don't have any camera bodies that they go with, I'd just as well try to sell them on forums, Craigslist, or even ebay. If you want adapted lenses, for the most part stick to prime lenses, and within that, don't spend your money on autofocus-enabled examples.
  10. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I just bought this M42 screw mount adapter from Big-IS cost for $12.80 shipped. It arrived from China 14 days after the ebay order. I hate the stripes on the body but I wanted something cheap to cannibalize for a custom job. It has two M42 inserts plus an allen wrench to change them, One of the inserts is flangeless. Even comes with a rear cap. If you have a half dozen adapters, that's handy.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

RainbowImaging sells the same stuff all the other low cost distributors sell. You just get it a week sooner because they keep stock on hand vs shipping out of China.
  11. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    I bought a Rainbowimaging K-Mount adapter that initially seemed not to fit tightly onto Pentax lenses, but it turns out the flange was not securely screwed into the base of the adapter. A jeweler's screwdriver fixed that problem.
  12. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    What aperture control do I get? I guess I'm confused as I thought all of the adapters make things fully manual, including stopping down the lens to take a reading or to use auto-exposure.
  13. usayit

There is a ring that manually opens up or stops down to the pre-set aperture setting on lens in one single motion. If you are familiar with M42 Takumars, it is basically the same function as the A - M switch. Or if you are familiar with early Spotmatics... the switch on the side of the camera that stops down the lens and activates the meter.

With it you can easily focus the lens wide open and quickly stop down the lens for exposure reading and shutter trigger. Focusing with the lens wide open is best for critical focus due to the brighter view AND at the shallowest DOF. Think of how these lenses work on SLRs. The lens is wide open while you obtain focus and compose. The only time the lens is stopped down is the split moment after you press the shutter.

Without the aperture control, you will need to count clicks on the aperture ring of the lens from wide open, to stopped down, to wide open again. It is a pain. Of course you have the option of just keeping the lens stopped at a pre-set aperture while focusing, composing, and taking the photo. But consider what happens if the lens is stopped down to f/8-f/13.... Its more difficult to focus and the EVF will have a harder time because the lack of light allowed through the lens. This is very typical of macro photography when small apertures are often used. In my case, I couldn't even see enough of what I was shooting at f/16. Counting clicks was slow and often disturbed the positioning of the camera ever so slightly.
  14. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    I'll have to look at the lens again, as I thought there was a slider on it already that performed that function. It sounds like it is a manual operation in either case, but the adapter would allow you to do it if the lens won't.

There was "depth of field preview" on my Yashica TL-Super. Same thing I guess.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. usayit

Most K-mount lenses did away with the A-M switch that duplicates the functionality. This was the reason why I chose to buy an extra K-mount adapter that has the aperture control ring.

M42 screwmount lenses do still have the stop down switch but not all of them. I have a sigma M42 lens that does not. At this time, I do not know of any M42 to MFT adapter that has aperture control. This means that the Sigma screwmount lens I have will only shoot wide open on the M42 to MFT adapter.
  16. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    I see it now, the lens will stop down with the linkage released, but I guess the body will hold it open until the shutter is released. I assume the adapter with the stop down switch controls the mechanical linkage?
  17. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Not to me. Until you're paying $200 for a well machined adapter with leaf springs, all the rest are about the same variable quality regardless of what they cost. Both FotoDiox and Rainbow may sell you a dud, although they will replace it quick. I own adapters from both these guys, by the way. No issues.

When I'm not in a hurry, I order them from China and wait an extra 7-10 days for the mail. I've bought a few things from this guy over the years, most recently an M42-M43 adapter that I thought was very well made. Nonetheless, it's always a toss of the dice.

Minolta MD MC Lens To Micro 4/3 m 43 adapter G1 EP2 EP1 | eBay
    • Like Like x 1
  18. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    I have gotten all my adapters from them, mostly becuase of the price, but secondly becuase of the vast array of different kinds of adapters they offer. Also there was a time where I recieved a mount that did not work/fit a particular lens and they were quick to replace it for the right one and even payed for the shipping back.

P.S. I dont work for them or anything nor do I endorse them, I just figured I add my pleasant experience with thier products and company.
  19. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    My Pentax K adapter arrived today from Rainbow. I tried both of my old K mount lenses on an E-PM1 and they fit great. The stop down switch is unnecessary if you ask me. There is no linkage in the adapter to hold the aperture open, and the camera compensates for the light in the LCD. When I turn the aperture, the LCD momentarily darkens then lightens again.

I need now to find the zoom control for the LCD so I can get better focus. Since none of this is for me I didn't look too hard, but I'll have to show my daughter how to use all of this. She has never used anything that requires any manual intervention, i.e. point and shoot only, but she did start using the various settings on my FZ35.

Oh, the lenses look really cool on the body. Tiny body, large lens...

And one other thing, Rainbow is really close to where I live. I was going to head over to that neighborhood right now anyway.