Any Issues with 100-300mm Panasonic Zoom on OM-D?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jnewell, Jul 8, 2012.

1. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Need a super-telephoto for a trip this summer and will likely purchase the Panasonic 100-300mm zoom. Have any OM-D owners had problems with this lens on the OM-D?
  2. Foster2380

Foster2380 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2012
    I haven't had it for more than a week but I've not encountered any problems with this combo. I am using IBIS with the in lens IS off. I was a bit surprised how big the lens is but other than that its been nice having the 600mm equivalent reach.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. godsfshrmn

godsfshrmn New to Mu-43

May 17, 2012
    I lugged it around on a two week backpacking trip. It took some pretty good pictures considering I was using the flimsy Tamrac zipshot as a tripod. The photos where I could sit it down on a solid object and at f/5.6 or so the photos are incredibly sharp. I had some very detailed shots of a wolf's face.
    My only complaint was lens creep and the occasional (maybe 1 / 40 auto focuses) problem with auto focusing. It would pan through the full focus cycle two times before it locked on. It happened so rarely it was never a concern. It is pretty long when it's at 300mm so you do need a solid tripod.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Thanks. I ordered one and received it yesterday. So far I've only used it on my GX1. Tomorrow I'll see what happens on the OM-D, probably experimenting with the OIS vs. IBIS (but obviously not both at the same time).
  5. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

Mine locked up once on the E-M5. Just stopped focusing, wouldn't even go to manual focus mode. I had to pop the battery out and back in to clear it and it hasn't happened since. I got worried and sent the lens to Panasonic for service afterwards, but they cleared the lens and sent it back to be as being fine.

I've used it extensively for several weeks since and haven't had the problem again, so I figure it's either gone for good, or so intermittent that it's not worth worrying about.