1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Any interest in Metabones Adapter?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by digitalandfilm, Mar 16, 2013.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I'm interested, but I'm waiting to see what the image quality of the Voigtlander 42.5mm f/.95 is.

The question is whether my Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 in Nikon F mount with the speed booster (= 41.2mm f/1) will give me better quality wide open than the 42.5mm f/.95 will by itself--or at least, if the quality of the 58mm w/ the speed booster is sufficient enough that it's worth the price difference--buying the speed booster for $400 vs. buying the 42.5mm f/.95 for $1000+.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I seem to remember a post about this a while ago -- interesting to see it close to being available. Not sure about the price, though, I'd be more interested at about half the price.

3. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I just hope it works with M42 screw mount lenses.

4. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    As things are, I'd be interested in an OM version (manual only, obviously) that costs ~300 euros in Europe. OM lenses are the only non-:43: lenses I have and I don't plan on investing in another system.

5. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    I am interested dependent on price and performance.

I read the review for the NEX model here:
    Metabones Speed Booster adapter – full review | EOSHD.com

I would be interested in mainly legacy lenses, so I'd like to see results first. I know from the write up from metabones explaining the technology that the m43 version uses less of the original image than the nex version, so it may be better. (Meaning the softer edges and corners would be left out.)

6. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Get the SpeedBooster with m4/3-to-EF mount, and you can use any lens mount that has a Canon EF adapter, including OM, M42 and Nikon F among others.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    That's a very smart plan to maximize your value. Count me among those who is very interested in seeing has this thing performs.

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    When they make it in Minolta MD I will buy it.

10. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I plan on getting one for all my Nikkors. My 35mm f2 will become a super sharp 25mm f1.4!

11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    A GH3 with focus peaking would be a vey compelling buy for me, and I'd certainly want the Metabones to pair up with it. As it stands, a GH3 without focus peaking doesn't help me, because I can't pull focus without it. So I continue to use my Alpha for video work.

For photography, eh. We've got enough native lenses now that I'm struggling to be very excited.

12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    As far as I'm aware this is the same technology that was used to build the Olympus Zuiko 35-100 f2.0.

I'd seriously have a look at the Leica version, although in all honesty I only wanted to use the m4/3 system with AF lenses. However the temptation is there.

Gordon

13. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    Oh, please, oh, please, oh, please. (µ4/3 and Oly, M42, and Canon EOS)

14. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I'm saving my money and waiting for a ff mirrorless with focus peaking. Any day now... <sigh> :tongue:

15. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Sure, this is what I suggest too and, in fact, do right now, with a "dummy" EOS to :43: adapter (I use it with OM and M42 "rings"). The weight of my post was on "300 euros" since I'm not paying 500+ euro for an EOS adapter with electronics I'll never use. Would they consider making a "dummy" EOS to :43: adapter with only the optics then?

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I suppose it's possible, but so far aside from EF, they're only doing Alpa, Leica R and Contax Yashica mounts, and those are $400.