Any Interest in DXO's PureRaw?

ACDSee handles. Linear adng just fine! If ACDSee handles all my pp just fine, with the possible exception of denoising, WHY would i choose to replace it wit something else? I am bewildered by DXO users seem unwilling to accept that people could prefer something else.
DxO PhotoLab is not replacing ACDSee. It is the same as Topaz Denoise AI but does a bit more. You choose how much more you want it to be. It can be only a denoising tool, and I use it like that.
Again, it is not DxO PhotoLab vs. ACDSee, but Topaz Denoise Ai vs. DxO PhotoLab.
Since ACDSee handles linear DNGs, you get even more benefits from DxO PhotoLab vs. Topaz.

ACDSee handles. Linear adng just fine! If ACDSee handles all my pp just fine, with the possible exception of denoising, WHY would i choose to replace it wit something else? I am bewildered by DXO users seem unwilling to accept that people could prefer something else.

Nobody here is talking about a program that has to replace ACSee or whatever.
DxO Photolab can handle the full workflow, but that's not what we're discussing here.
We're discussing the "Pre-processor" function of PhotoLab.

We're talking about trying Photolab instead of PureRAW, and then process the file with ACDSee or whatever you prefer.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
I don't think PL4 offers me enough to change the entire workflow for the convenience of automatic lens correction, and slightly better noise control. I want those two features, but not at the cost of changing EVERYTHING.

You've already stated that ACDSee can process DNG just fine (which PL4 can output DNG with the above adjustments). So, based on that it doesn't sound like you would have to change much of anything to use PL4 other than purchasing it. (BTW, I purchased full PL4 for $99). I still use ACDSee as my importer/culler. I haven't run into anyone that thinks ACDSee is as robust a raw processor as PhotoLab, but to each his own.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
This is the problem with any dialog with DXO users, they always want to tell me how much better PhotoLab 4 is than ANYTHING else, including PureRaw. I get it, DXO lovers LOVE PhotoLab 4 and they are unwilling to try anything else.

I have tried PhotoLab 4 and while it is competent software, it does NOT offer enough to make it worthwhile for me to switch to it.
This hasn't been my experience. Most PL users I know of use it as a secondary platform or are pretty cautiously optimistic when using it as a full-fledged editor. If you've found DXO sycophants, they seem to be rare. NIK sycophants who are angry that DXO took it over, now... Those guys are rabid.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
I checked it out because my Topaz denoise expired. I actually quite like it and I think they are onto something.

I actually like that it is simpler and I can use my standard workflow- just throw in the RAW files that need it and select from 3 different levels. Topaz denoise annoyed me because there are three different denoise options (it's not clear on what will be best) and sliders. It takes forever to preview any of those adjustments and I'm just never sure what is best.

Aside from noise work, lens corrections- It's actually not very clear what it is doing- the file is the same resolution but ends up being 2-3x the file size. The sharpness is out of this world also. I have a few really old test raw files and it did really good with them I wish it were a little more refined on sharpness, file size, etc.

Real Name
Mike
File size is larger because it's demosaiced so there's RGB info per pixel rather than just one color channel per pixel.

It's a little easier to get a sense of what it's doing if you download the free trial of PhotoLab 4 and check the DxO Denoising Technologies, Lens Sharpness, Vignetting, Distortion modules.

A lot of the extra sharpness you can think of as being part of a final postprocessing step for PureRAW, controllable by "Global" slider under "Lens Sharpness" -- this I wouldn't really call part of the "lens correction" per se but an additional sharpening to make things pop even more (for better or worse).

Last edited:
File size is larger because it's demosaiced so there's RGB info per pixel rather than just one color channel per pixel.

It's a little easier to get a sense of what it's doing if you download the free trial of PhotoLab 4 and check the DxO Denoising Technologies, Lens Sharpness, Vignetting, Distortion modules.

A lot of the extra sharpness you can think of as being part of a final postprocessing step for PureRAW, controllable by "Global" slider under "Lens Sharpness" -- this I wouldn't really call part of the "lens correction" per se but an additional sharpening to make things pop even more (for better or worse).

Lens sharpness is supposed to bring back sharpness uniformity in the image.
So, it's targetting edges & corners first.
But even with the slider at 0 this also includes an overall sharpness increase.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
I started a trial of PureRAW and gave a few of my RAW files a go. I then just decided to take a high-ISO shot of our lazy cat in poor lighting to see just what it could do. I actually just spit it out as a high-quality JPG.
P1000022-RW2_DxO_DeepPRIME.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ISO 6400. Granted, I was really close to the subject, but it certainly bears a closer look from me. I have 30 days to try it out.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom