Any interest for a normal lens comparison test? (ideas wanted)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ante, Aug 14, 2012.

1. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    As I happened to come by a number of 50mm-ish lenses through flea market/thrift store finds, I have an idea of making a head-on comparison between these. That is, taking pictures of the same motive with all lenses under similar conditions (wide open, stopped down a bit, etc).

I would like to have some ideas from anyone who wants, as to what kind of tests I should perform. Bokeh test, sharpness, etc.

If you have a large number of legacy lenses (dbuckle - you hear me?) I would be happy if anyone else wants to contribute with lenses of your choice under similar circumstances.

Anyone interested in this idea? Already been done? :smile: I have still not read all threads in this forum...
  2. hinting

hinting Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 13, 2012
    Sounds good

Did one a year ago some of my 50s at another forum.

50mm MF test on GF1 (image links): Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

I have plenty of secondhand 50s, and was considering to do the test, before I sold off the 50s I don't like. Since that test last year, I got access to more 50mm lenses, including some M42 Pentacon, more russian lens and few more leitz oldies.

I am not sure about whats the best condition to test the lenses. Distance view? Closeup? Against bright sky for glare/ tree canopy for bokeh shape?

I can say that all the 50s are good portiart lenses. Read my post about the sunny 50 and cloudy 50

hinting: Art, Design & Photography | Redbubble
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    I'm in a similar situation and have been thinking about doing much the same type of test in an effort to determine which lenses I should divest, but I haven't yet taken the time to set it up and get it done.

There have been several such tests posted in the past on this forum. You might want to look at some of these to get some ideas on methodology.

• [thread=23123]Nifty Fiftys do battle with m4/3 native lenses[/thread]
    • [thread=21113]Sharp or not[/thread]
    • [thread=21140]Part 2 " Sharp or not" prompted via dixeyk[/thread]
    • [thread=16889]Micro 4/3'rds Legacy Lens- 50mm Bout![/thread]
    • [thread=8511]A Bunch of Lenses Compared[/thread]
  4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    50mm is not normal on m4/3. 20/21mm is normal. I think if you want to test a series of normal lenses, you should start with the right focal lengths.
  5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm actually already working on a site like this. I do have a large number of MF lenses. When I was digging through the collection a while back, I thought it would be good if I tested them all and put them online. There are plenty of sites that do have pictures of legacy glass, but they are all different pictures. So I'm trying to take pictures of the same things under the same conditions. First up is the ISO res chart. I posted some links to images in the recent Olympus 50mm F1.8 thread.

I also have sensor coverage going. I have plans for color, bokeh, uniformity, chromatic
    aberration, relative focal length, relative f-stop, transmissivity and DOF. I'd love comments or suggestions of other things to test. Other than simply providing a bunch of images for people to compare by eye. I'm writing software to analyze the images on metrics so that I can make graphs like in that post above. Thus it should be objective and not subjective.
  6. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Thanks to you all for your great response!

hinting: I thought as much. I Like your test.

DeeJayK: Thanks for all those links! I will try to get time to read them all.

Hikari: I know, I was referring to what was normal in the old days. I will better myself. Anyway, I was referring to legacy 50mm lenses, the plethora of them being explained by the fact they were normal in those days. I guess normal today is really 14-42mm zooms, or something? :confused:

lenshoarder: Wow, your ambition level probably beats mine. But that is fine! I would be really interested in your type of tests.

So, to summarize: I am thinking, based on your response, that perhaps we could just start a large thread "The legacy 50mm-ish Lens Comparison Image Thread" in which anyone can post head-on comparisons based on at least (I guess?) two different lenses being used to take similar pictures at the same occasion?

It will be a while until I can start posting, I am still awaiting a couple adapters...

[Edit:] Oops! Forgot to mention: My meaning was to take kind of "realistic shots", if you know what I mean. A flower bed, portrait, whatever, really. I am more interested (but this is of course only my interest, anyone is free to other ideas) in seeing actual images rather than test sheets etc. But if this thread is started I don't see why it would have to be limited to this, only that I will probably not contribute with "synthetic" examples (no ill meaning here, just do not know what else to call it).
  7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Anything you guys to to raise the prices on my 0M50, FD50, AR50 (konica), and PK50 will be greatly appreciated, although it wouldn't take much for me to sell at a profit as all but the OM cost me around $5 each.

I tested all of mine against each other. Bottom line for me was the Canon FD 50 seemed the best, but the Konica AR was a lot lighter.

I would suggest your testing also have a modern M43 lens for comparison, which means the Oly 45mm.
    • Like Like x 1