Any Info on Vivitar 200mm Auto 3.5?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rpringle, Mar 9, 2014.

1. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    Hey guys

Anyone have any info on the Vivitar 200mm Auto f3.5 lens? I've done some research but all I can find is that the earlier versions were made by Komine and later versions were made by Tokina and Kiron. I'm guessing this is an early version because it has 67mm filter thread and the tripod collar which is what I'm interested in the most. I'm guessing it probably wont have good coatings and wide open will show CA but I'm mostly interested in the color and sharpness. I might be able to get a copy for $35-$40 shipped. Just want to know if I should bother. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    The 70-210mm f2.8-4 is the one I'm after. They outsourced all those lenses and in many cases the Komine versions were the best. One of the very best is the 90mm f2.5 made by Tokina, however, with some of the best bokeh ever. If I were you and I didn't have a 200mm, why not get it? I bought a 200mm f/4 Konica Hexanon because it was small and I already have the adapter. 200mm is way too long for hand holding in most cases so the fact that this Vivitar has a tripod mount is a good thing!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rpringle

rpringle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    I ended up finding a Soligor 200mm f3.5 Tele-Auto which I believe is the same as the vivitar I mentioned above as they look almost identical. Snagged it for $19 so I guess I will see how it is when it comes. While surfing the web for astrophotography reading I found a short lens guide by a guy named Clayton Kessler (link below). He mentions a Soligor 200mm 3.5 that he has used for astro-imaging and I went searching for them out of curiosity. I found a few other posts on various forums referencing the Vivitar/Soligor/Tokina 200mm 3.5's and impulsiveness got the better of me. I have no idea what the optics, diaphragm, weight, coatings, or anything are on the lens so it will be a surprise.

If anyone if interested in some photo examples from it let me know and I'll post when it comes in. If it gives good results I'll end up using it possibly for wildlife and astrophotography.
  4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I have a Tokina version of the Vivitar 200 f3.5. Bought it 42 years ago in T-mount, It's a heavy lens and requires a tripod so I have tried it on an M43 body only a few times, and not seriously. I also have the OM 200mm f4, and that's a lighter lens I would actually carry somewhere.

You can click on the pic for full size. ISO 200. 1/400 sec, EM5 from the EXIF. Didn't write down the f-stop.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    rpringle -Your picture is of a Tokina made lens. The serial No. starting with 37 gives it away. See this site below for manufacturers of Vivitar lenses. I just received a Tokina made, Vivitar 90-230 f4.5 (my second) as part of a 4 lens deal. It seems to be ok at 4,5 but sharpest at f5.6 and f8. Haven't shot it further stopped down - no good light these winter days and it needs a lot of light. I also received a Kiron made Vivitar 70-210 f3.5 as part of the same deal, but, I'm waiting for the lens support to come in. It weighs about as much as a brick and hand holding is nearly impossible.

Here's the reference for Vivitar lens makers.
    • Like Like x 1