1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Any idiot/beginners guides to getting the best out of DXO Optics Pro?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by ManofKent, Dec 27, 2014.

1. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    Any idiot/beginners guides to getting the best out of DXO Optics Pro?

Web tutorials/books etc? Or general tips?

Thanks

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Their website has several tutorials. Worth a look.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    A few specific things I like to do:

- Generally work down the adjustments from top to bottom (standard panel order), ie start with exposure, then DxO lighting, then highlights/shadows/vibrancy/etc and end with noise reduction and sharpening.
    - Don't use unsharp mask for shots you have a lens profile for. Play with the lens sharpness sliders and settings for the best results.
    - I tend to tone down noise reduction (luminance) in most cases, since it's a touch aggressive. PRIME works fantastically well for high-ISO shots, however, even in default settings
    - I like the default profile but find the DxO Lighting settings are sometimes a little too extreme, and don't necessarily suit every picture or mood. Also sometimes dial back the saturation and/or vibrancy, but somtimes push it up. Matter of taste.

Honestly, a lot of the the settings/tweaks are not hugely different between DxO and software like lightroom, aperture or CaptureOne. Sliders work slightly differently, some have local adjustments (LR), some don't (DxO), and in the end there's no magic recpie for a perfect picture.

• Like Like x 4
  4. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    mattia,

Have you been using DxO ClearView? I mainly shoot landscapes and have been testing out this adjustment. So far I really like what I am seeing.

5. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Not yet, but that's only because I just upgraded from 9 to 10 yesterday and haven't had a chance to play around with it yet. Until now I've more or less done what ClearView appears to do manually by combining a little curves adjustment and the DxO Lighting panel, and exporting the TIFF for further processing with NIK plugins, but this looks like it will help simplify my landscape workflow quite a bit. I'm a landscape shooter as well (stiched panoramas are a favourite and I love printing them) and I really like DxO's ability to render detail and color, which is what 'sold' me on it back in version 5 and has let me put up with the relatively slow operation (much improved with each version).

• Like Like x 1
  6. OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy Enthusiast Amateur

Nov 11, 2012
    Austin, Texas USA
    Bob
    In addition to the suggestion about working your way down the right panel for manual adjustments, also give the various categories of DxO presets (at the top right) a try.

DxO Optics Pro 10 is much improved over the last version -- including speed, and this is the first version (in Elite) that fully integrates DxO ViewPoint and DxO FilmPack into Optics Pro. If you also use Lightroom, there's a plugin that sends the raw file into DxO then back to Lr as a TIF.

Go here for the Optics Pro tutorials.

Here's an hour-long of Optics Pro with Lightroom: youtube.com/watch?v=-GaDllm-hHo. Their English-language webinars tend to be very boring because of their rambling nature. DxO should take lessons from Alien Skin and Google Nik.

There are numerous uses for ClearView, not just landscapes, Yes, it's just a quick automated application of settings that can be achieved manually.

As a user of DxO Optics Pro for several versions now, I find their customer support second to none. Anytime a support ticket is opened, there's a response within one working day, and resolution usually comes within a few days. After the ticket is closed, there's a followup evaluation of the service.

Bob

• Like Like x 2
  7. ddr

ddr Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 12, 2013
    the most useful thing I use DxO for is the perspective controls and noise reduction

Having said that, it can't compare to manually adjust in photoshop but this is much quicker for batch processing

in my experience, its auto adjustments are good for ~ half the photos I put in

• Like Like x 1