Any ideas of using fisheye as a WA lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Nubest, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Nubest

Nubest Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    The market of legacy lenses doesn't offer us a big choice of wide-angle lenses, does it? That's why I'm thinking about a fisheye lens that could be used as a wide angle landscape lens with the help of software correction of course.

Another choice is to bye a native 12 or 14 lens, but it would cost double if not triple.

So, does anybody have some experience of using fisheye as a normal landscape lens?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Here are a few fisheye shots without any special software. You can use them reasonably well if you're REAL careful about keeping things level, but they're really funny lenses and if you want to get that fish-y look, its there for you in abundance, as shown in the fourth shot. I guess with some sort of de-fish software you could do more, but I've never tried so I don't know.

You can get a Panasonic 14mm pretty inexpensively these days though, if 14mm is wide enough for you...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/6218571936/" title="Farm Fishin' by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"1024" height="683" alt="Farm Fishin'"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/6218047155/" title="Fishin on Neptune by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"1024" height="683" alt="Fishin on Neptune"></a>

This hill really is shaped like this, so its not really showing much distortion:
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/6218571754/" title="Fishin' for Flare by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"768" height="1024" alt="Fishin' for Flare"></a>

For the full fish effect, just mess with the horizons a bit...
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/6218042581/" title="Gone Fishin' by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"1024" height="683" alt="Gone Fishin'"></a>

-Ray

• Like Like x 6
  3. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    if you have to stretch and squeeze pixels to de-fish the photo, I believe you'll end up losing some sharpness around the edges.. I thought about it (7.5 fish instead of 7-14) but never tried it!

See this this for a detailed description

• Like Like x 1
  4. juju

juju Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2011
    Philippines
    i use hugin to de-fish the pany 8mm. it does a decent enough job but composition can be a bit tricky since a lot gets cropped off in the process, also causing resolution loss. edges tend to be on the soft side too. results IMhO are only good for web use or small prints.

here's a sample with horizontal & vertical lines.

original:
    7008344355_262ed5aefc_o.

defished:
    7008343657_c4242c55a1_o.

hth
    bing

• Like Like x 3
  5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hey juju, do you mind sharing your settings for hugin? I've been playing around with the field of view/lens settings but still not happy with my results.

6. Nubest

Nubest Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    I like your photos, guys, really! I'm not sure now if they need de-fishing at all! At least the picture with the dog :)

I think, that 14 is not wide enough, I've got the kit lens to cover this distance. I thought the 11-22 from the elder system would fit, but now I'm not sure about it. The fish-effect gives me the felling of being right in the picture.

And what about taking picture of people? Do they offend when they see themselves in the corners of a photo with kind of unusual antropometric parametres?

And - did anyone try to make panorama views out of 3-4 shots? Are those distortions critical for it?

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes.

Apple uses the saying, "We have an App for that". Adobe should say, "We have a plugin for that". ;)

Image Trends - Fisheye-Hemi Plug-In - Corrects Fisheye Lens Distortion and retains Image Content Details

I think though that the m.Zuiko 9-18mm should be a pretty affordable alternative that doesn't require any de-fishing? Of course the Lumix 7-14mm f/4 would be the best tool for the job, but 9-18mm is also pretty darn wide and a lot cheaper.

8. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    you could also just use the nikon 10.5mm fisheye lens correction profile in lightroom. it's not perfect, but it's pretty good. Give it a try if you have both, I can post some before and afters if you want when I get home.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    I have to disagree here Ned, the 9-18 is a great lens, but is over twice the cost of the 7.5 fisheye. The samyang/rokinon has been selling for anywhere from $250 -$350 on average, where as the 9-18 is more along the lines of $650 and up. These are new retail prices, so used maybe more viable if you can find one. Plus you get the use of it as a fish eye, which the 9-18 can't do, or is there a plug in for that? Also, there is the AF Ability of the 9-18, but in my limited use of the fish eye I haven't found I need AF. These are just my rationals for choosing one over the other, and maybe when finances allow, I'll take a long, hard look at the 7-14, but for now I'm content with the 7.5 and access to a friends 12mm as viable options.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nubest

Nubest Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    Yes, that would be very interesting

11. Nubest

Nubest Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    That sounds reasonable. For about $300 one can get a lens, that can be used either as a WA (thanks for the link, Ned) with some limitations, or as a creative lens. A $600-800 classic WA lens will have more accurate angles and be less soft in corners. AF is not needed for taking landscape or crossroads pictures. I want to believe it at least :)

12. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Hey, here are some samples. Don't judge the sharpness, I think the IS was set to 50mm. These are just some pics we took to test the lens. these are straight OOC, all I did was apply the Nikon 10.5 correction in LR and resize or the member galleries. I think it does a pretty good job with the lines for a lot less $ than hemi, if you already have LR.

Here's before:
    P3173621.

and after:
    P3173621-2.

again, before:
    P3173619-2.

and after:
    P3173619.

These are just with the default settings. You could probably tweak for an even better picture.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Nubest

Nubest Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    Thank you for sharing! I think, the quality of the pics is acceptable for me. I'm inclining to fish-eye now. What's your lens BTW?

14. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    It's the samyang 7.5mm. I had my parents pick it up for me in the states because it's much cheaper there than it is here in the EU. They're bringing it over when they come to visit next week.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk

15. juju

juju Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 22, 2011
    Philippines
    not a problem, using v2010.4

1. assistant tab:
    load image
    set lens type; full frame fisheye
    set fl; 8mm 2x

2. goto stitcher tab:
    set projection; rectilinear
    click; calculate field of view
    click; fit crop to images
    stitch now or preview panorama (on the toolbar) to make adjustments

done

• Like Like x 2
  16. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    I almost forgot, the tip to use the nikon profile for the samyang 7.5 came from dpreview, where one of the users also posted some custom profiles for the samyang. http://db.tt/oUuJxYMV they show up for me under 'panasonic' when I impoet them. There are profiles for rectilinear and equi.

Hth

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  17. zacster

zacster Mu-43 Regular

Nov 4, 2011
    After seeing the various lenses mentioned there's another factor to consider - size. I was at J&R the other day and the guy pulled out the 7-14 And it was huge! I didn't realize how big it would be. At least the 7.5 is small.

18. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I use the 7.5mm to kick my ultra wide angle fancies.

If you compose the shot predicting edge degradation and crop accordingly I think it possible to get excellent pseudo-UWA results. It's tricky to approximate the amount of proportional distortion correction but if you need that kind of accuracy you need a rectilinear wide angle.

Here's an excellent post started by isabel95 showing some examples of other plugins. Also some other info including the DPR profiles.
    https://www.mu-43.com/f38/rokinon-7-5mm-f-3-5-fisheye-21418/

Here's a few to add to Ill Dawg's exc. examples.

Original.

With LR3's Nikon 10.5mm profile.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nubest

Nubest Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2012
    The pics are great, thanks. But how do you

? Just practice?

20. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Unfortunately yes.

But as long as wants outweigh needs, practice is fun.