1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Any hands-on comparisons between the Oly 45mm 1.8 and the Sigma 60mm 2.8?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Jonathan F/2, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Anybody have both lenses? I'd be interested in seeing portrait/bokeh comparisons between the two. Thanks!

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Hi Jonathan

Sorry I don't own both lenses, but I have the Sigma 60 2.8, you can see photos in that image thread. For me I find the FL and aperture a bit awkward for portraits actually, there isn't enough isolation, unlike the 45 1.8, so a lot of images I took with the FL were pets or even children, in another word, smaller subjects that you can come closer to to fill in the frame. Bokeh is nice, nearly round even in corners wide open, but can get noisy sometimes. I see that you're not asking for sharpness comparison, but the sharpness of Sigma 60 is unbeatable IMO.

3. vwvapor

vwvapor New to Mu-43

Jul 2, 2013
    Do you mean you had to get closer to your subject with the 60mm than you would have with the 45mm?

I've been researching the Sigma 60mm for my 2nd lens after the PL14 for a budget friendly flexible lens that can do some indoor kids sports, some large room indoor shots as well as portraits.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

4. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thinking the same. I had the 45mm 1.8 several times. Great lens, but at times I wanted greater focal length. The 75mm is a diamond for sure as well, but right now I don't want to spend the money for it. :wink: The 60mm sounds like it would fit the bill, but I'd definitely like to get a better feel for it, especially for portraits.

5. TBK

TBK Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
  6. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Looks pretty good, especially for the price. This doesn't seem to be a big seller though, compared to Sigma's 19 and 30, which were big hits.

8. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Yeah, but they only really got popular after the mark I versions dropped to $100. The 60mm hasn't been out as long, and isn't as cheap, so it likely won't ever be quite as popular. Plus, it's within spitting distance of mZD 45 money, so it's competing with that. But it definitely seems to be a worthwhile lens.

9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  10. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Well from what I gathered 45mm 1.8 have more bokeh than 60mm 2.8

11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I have the 45mm 1.6, 60mm macro and 75mm 1.8.

The 60mm is sharper than the 45mm and at equivalent apertures the bokeh is a bit smoother on the 60mm. But the 45 is still a very very good lens in those regards, it's just that the 60mm is exceptional. But there's no getting past the faster aperture of the 45mm. Th extra stop and a bit does make a difference to the look of the images. For portraits I'd choose the 45mm.

The 75mm combines the sharpness of the 60mm with the aperture of the 45mm. My favourite portrait lens.

Gordon

12. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    You missed the part where I was asking about the Sigma 60mm, not the Olympus 60mm. :wink: :smile:

13. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    oops...

gordon

14. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My recommendation: buy them both from B&H, use the generous return policy to send the one back that you don't like (or both, if neither works for you as needed).

With regards to the math, a 60mm f/2.8 should actually has a tiny bit smaller depth of field than a 45mm f/1.8, so the isolation should be better with the 60mm than the 45mm, if thats what you're referring to. Although, with a 45mm you will be closer to fill up the frame, so if there is a relatively close background, it might tilt in the 45mm's favor.