1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any Hackintosh Users?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wasabi Bob, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I just built my 1st Hackintosh system based on the I7-950 processor. Essentially it's a Mac but having the ability to dual boot with Win-7 (x64) makes it a very flexible machine. Just curious if there are any others here who have taken this route?

For anyone thinking of doing this I can tell you it was easier than I thought. The most difficult part of the project was "learning" the Mac OS whhic is less technical. It was a humbling experience, having to seek out answers for simple tasks that I do everyday in the Windows world.

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

msi wind netbook hackintosh here....

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I had my Lenovo S10 running OS X, but I prefer Windows 7 on it. Still like OS X, just not on my netbook.

4. qball

qball Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2010
    Built a couple. Always went back to Windows. Had a 24" iMac. Sold it. Don't get the hype. For work and every day business type tasks, it was too slow. I don't have the stability, vulnerability and functionality issues with any of my Windows machines that everyone always criticizes PCs for. Macs are just expensive slower machines.

If you wanna experience OsX... Hackintoshes are the way to go!

5. sblehm

sblehm Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2010
    I tried it once on a Dell mini 9. I was very unimpressed.
    I would like to know if the app store works on a hackintosh. I recently bought Aperture at the new $80 price through the app store and would think about building a desktop hackintosh if I knew for sure it would work.

6. oris642

oris642 Mu-43 Regular

Built a Hackintosh also. 2.8 Ghz quad core, 4 drives in RAID 0 for a fast scratch disk, total of 6 hard drives. Love Mac OSX, would never go back to Windows.

7. BrianK

BrianK Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 20, 2011
    Lansing MI
    Have it on a dell mini 10, but since I got the ipad I never boot it anymore.

8. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    Run it occasionally in VirtualBox session on Ubuntu.

9. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    I've built a few. It really has gotten much easier, and now that you can do installs straight from the retail OS X DVD it is actually quite stable. I have a Core 2 Duo (Conroe) hackintosh that I still use. I reinstalled Windows 7 on my i7 desktop, though. I'm not a fan of dual boot setups so I have separate PCs for OS X and Win7.

VasManI - How well does it run in VirtualBox? For some reason I didn't think it would work that well in a virtual environment, so I'll have to give that a try this weekend.

10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't know about virtualbox, but I run it under vmware. It runs so well on my Sony Z that I got rid of my Macbook Pro.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

In 10.6.6

Yup, just did the 10.6.6 update and the Ap store seems to work fine.

12. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Good to know. I may be able to repurpose my core 2 duo system then and just run a virtualized OS X on my i7 system. :thumbup:

13. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Running Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit on my Pentium D fujitsu siemens desktop

14. oldskoolboarder

oldskoolboarder Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Dell Mini 9 dual boot w/ Win 7. I still use mine when we go on vacation so I don't have to worry about losing it or having it stolen. Not the fastest but works fine for email and surfing.

15. Kalieaire

Kalieaire Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2011
    I love my hackintoshes. Even though sometimes I'm missing out on compatibility on certain equipment like graphics cards, nics, or sound, I'm happy that I'm saving 800 bucks on each machine.

I have two right now:

Q6600 on Intel D975xbx2 BADAXE2 - 8gb ram
    i7 930 on Asus Rampage GENE 2 - 24gb ram

16. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Don't know if that counts in this thread, but I used to run Mac OS 7.5.3 on the Basillisk II 68K emulator under Linux :biggrin:

I also have NeXTStep 3.3 (grandfather of OS X) running native on a SparcStation 20 - 712 / 512 MB [really hardcore stuff this one].

Cheers,

17. Kalieaire

Kalieaire Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2011
    Well it counts as an old school hackintosh, circa when i was in high school.

18. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    I have leopard working on my Dell D600, there are some minor issues such as booting from battery, but for the most part it works alright. Performance wise, it felt similar to .running ubuntu on my dell. But just went back to windows xp on it for the time being

19. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    ...and I run Windows7 on my Mac through VMWare Fusion. Too easy and works great. Best of both worlds on my preference of hardware.

20. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I have run Mac OS since about 1995, but would really rather have more choice of machines if there really is a simple way of using a hackintosh for a new PC. Actually, it would probably get me to use Windows 7 more and make the transition easier. I have always missed the equipment choices and wider array of programs, but have been spoiled by what used to be superior graphics and the absence of malware.