Any good travel charger for BLS-1 batteries?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by VisualFX, Sep 1, 2010.

1. VisualFX

VisualFX Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2010
    I'm looking for a compact travel charger with no cord to charge BLS-1 batteries for my E-PL1. All I found were some cheap looking junk. The current and voltage ratings on these chargers are all over the place. Some are 600ma, some 400ma, some 8.4v, others 8.2v. I'd like a charger that has overcharge protection and can monitor battery heat so not to overcharge. Are there any good reliable chargers out there?

2. oldskoolboarder

oldskoolboarder Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    I 2nd this one. I had to take the original one w/ me on a trip and I can't figure out why it can't be the same as the Canon P&S ones.

3. ChrisS

ChrisS New to Mu-43

Sep 28, 2010
    I'm off to the Amazon Basin in 4 weeks and looking for a battery charging solution too. I will be without mains power for days at a time while I'm tracking around the jungle, so I'm thinking I need a bigger battery to recharge my EP-2's battery.

I have one of these on order for my iphone Ultimate Battery Pack for IPhone IPad - New Trent IMP1000

Would be nice if I could find a BLS-1 charger that would plug into the IMP1000. The IMP1000 has 11,000mAh of juice so I figure it should be able to give 5+ full recharges of a BLS-1.

This BLS-1 travel charger takes a 12V DC input, but it's via a car lead:
    Hahnel Powerstation Ultima Olympus at UK's Best Price

I'm thinking I could then use something like this to connect the BLS-1 charger to the IMP1000:
    Amazon.com: 12V Female Car Charger Adapter: Electronics

My electrical knowledge is fairly limited. Does anyone know if what I'm proposing would work? Or should I buy a load of cheap BLS-1 batteries and have them all charged before I go?

4. oldskoolboarder

Jul 20, 2010
    We hiked Salkantay to Machu Picchu in August for 5 days. I carried 4 batteries and was able to last, taking about 1000 shots and some vids.

IIRC, I only use 3 of the batteries. I have one original and 3 from ebay. I prefer the Maxpower and Economax, those have the most mAh. Just make sure they're charged before you head out.

5. ChrisS

ChrisS New to Mu-43

Sep 28, 2010
    Thanks for the advice. I will see if I can get some more batteries.

6. mrgondo

mrgondo New to Mu-43

Sep 29, 2010
  7. oldskoolboarder

Jul 20, 2010
    So how does that work? Do the contact points move so you can adjust it to fit whatever battery you have w/ you?

8. zuiko

zuiko Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 19, 2010
    It is an interesting idea having one charger for everything, but I don't know how it works. It looks like the contacts do move, though I'm not sure how you would know which contact is which (and there are usually more than 2 contacts on a Li Ion battery). I guess you could use a multimeter to figure it out for each type of battery. Also, does it shut itself off when the battery is done charging?

9. mrgondo

mrgondo New to Mu-43

Sep 29, 2010
    Digipower TC-3000 Universal Batt Charger Details

I've used it as my primary travel charger for the past 18 months and it has never let me down. You just need to locate and position the two contacts on the charger with the (-) and (+) contacts of the lithium ion battery you need to charge. Once the LED starts blinking, it will charge the battery to full capacity. When the LED glows solid, your battery is fully charged and it stops the main charge cycle and defaults to trickle mode. It will work with any and I mean any 3.7 volt lithium ion rechargeable battery no matter how funky or odd shaped the form factor of the battery is. As long as the battery charge contacts are exposed, you are good to go. I've charged Casio, Fuji, Canon, Sony and Olympus LiIon batteries with no problems or issues whatsoever. i have even charged blackberry and psp portable batteries and AA nimhy batteries with this charger. I keep one in my shaving kit so I never forget bringing it on an overnight trip. I am a self confessed digital camera geek and have been testing digital cameras as a hobby now for many years. This battery charger is in-dispensible if you have multiple brands of digital cameras.

10. mrgondo

mrgondo New to Mu-43

Sep 29, 2010
    Most LiIon Rechargeables Have + and - Terminals Marked

I forgot to mention that even though most 3.7 volt Li Ion batteries have 3 charging contacts, most every battery marks the outer charging contacts + and - so it is easy to align the charging contacts on the Digipower charger. The 3rd contact is for monitoring battery life in the camera so the charger doe not have to bother with the 3rd contact. Trust me, you do not need a multimeter to figure out which contacts to use. After you set the first battery up for charging, its real easy to do it again for any battery thereafter.

11. julienrl

julienrl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 28, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    my universal lithium charger does not seem to work with the battery (lenmar powerport clip) that I bought after loosing my original charger. Does anyone else have issues with some universal chargers? :( :(

12. oldskoolboarder

Jul 20, 2010
    Just noticed that Amazon and Ebay have a ton of BLS-1 chargers for $6 shipped. Gonna try one fo those. Some even come w/ a car charger cable, could be REALLY useful on the road.

One on Amazon also has a USB port but that's only 400 mA, not enough for an iPhone 4 and WAY less than the 2.5A need by an iPad.

13. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Bringing up this old thread to see if there are any new experiences out there? With three cam bodies and different batteries for each one, I was thinking about a universal charger. Do the cheapos work or does it make sense to spend more? Of course, small would be nice... I also saw inductive chargers for cell phone batteries. Is there anything like those out there that has enough juice to charge camera batteries?

Stefan