1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any good? (Rollei HFT 50mm f1.8 Planar)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by ryansinibaldi, Mar 21, 2012.

1. ryansinibaldi

ryansinibaldi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2012
    From what I've read it has something to do with the famous Carl Ziess. Someone has one locally on craigslist for $50. Should I buy it? They claim it's for a Minolta mount.

original.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

2. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

The Carl Zeiss connection is that the Planar is one of the classic Zeiss lens designs along with Sonnar, Tessar, Distagon etc. The Rollei 50mm f/1.4 Planar had an excellent reputation and should produce excellent results on m4/3.

Originally, the multi-coating was Carl Zeiss T* but after a disagreement with Zeiss, Rollei referred to it as HFT. It is every bit as good as T*.

The disagreement came when Rollei moved production from Germany to Singapore and Zeiss cast doubt on whether the Rollei factory in Singapore could produce lenses to the same quality as the one in Germany.

As far as I know, Rollei never made this lens in any other mount than their own Rollei bayonet mount, but I could be wrong.

I would say, buy with confidence. You won't get a Carl Zeiss 50mm Planar for anywhere near $50 and this Rollei lens will be just as good. But do check very carefully for fungus, oil on the iris diaphragm blades, any coating marks due to careless cleaning and make sure that the focusing and aperture rings work just as they should.

Finally, you may want to check out the availability of a Rollei bayonet to m4/3 adapter before splashing your cash, but there seems to be a good selection on eBay.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'll give you $50 plus S+H if you send it to me. ;)

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Rollei is a legendary name in medium format lenses. Pick it up.

5. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    Okay, definitely picking it up then. The owner isn't into photography but took it to (2) different camera places that said it was a Minolta mount. From my short research I haven't been able to find anything that suggests they ever created a Minolta mount. I sure hope for some reason it is an mc/md mount. That's the only adapter in my collection so far!

Also thanks so much for the information. I was hesititant about buying it. Some people on Canon forums claimed it had performance like every other legacy 50mm from that era.

6. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    Found out its not a Minolta mount but a qbm mount.

7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    QBM is Rollei "quick bayonet mount". So you need a Rollei to m4/3 adapter.

8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The lens is selling for $100-$150 on ebay, so you're still getting a good deal, even having to buy the strange adapter. Those prices are completed listings too, not asking price.

9. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    I've owned one, not as nice build quality as the Contax Planar version but definitely worth it for $50.

10. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    How sharp was it wide open? And in general?

I'm currently using a Minolta 50mm 1.7.

11. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Oh, if you already have a 50mm lens, I wouldn't worry about the Rollei. Even if it's slightly better, it's not worth your time and money. As long as your Minolta lens is working fine and is giving you good saturation and contrast, go enjoy it. Although, as many others said, you could go buy it and probably sell it in these forums for what you paid + shipping pretty quickly, if you want to help out forum members.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ryansinibaldi

Mar 9, 2012
    My only concern is that my Minolta is too soft wide open, and really prone to CA. I usually stop down to f2.2-2.8.

13. Qwerty

Qwerty Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2012
    Canada
    Most 50's are pretty good. In my case I had ended up selling it and getting the Contax 50mm f1.7 Planar as it had a much better build and less adapter hassles for Canon bodies which is what I was using at the time (finding a Rollie/EOS adapter ring that actually allowed infinity focus was a real pain).

14. Humdinger

Humdinger New to Mu-43

Sep 12, 2012
    Colchester, Essex UK
    David
    Rollei Zeiss lenses

Its been a while since the last posting, but I need to set the record straight as a long-term Rollei user. First of all, the illustration shows a Rollei-built Planar lens; almost certainly made in the Singapore factory. When production was transferred to Singapore in the 1970's, Rollei commenced manufacture of these lenses under licence from Carl Zeiss Oberkochen. The HFT coating was developed by Rollei in conjunction with Honeywell and was also used for the successful 6000 series medium format cameras. As far as I know, the formulation was adopted later by Carl Zeiss with the Contax T*, not the other way around. I have the first 1-pin variant of the Rollei 50mm purchased in 1974. I also have a German-made Carl Zeiss Planar with a German-made SL35, and this f1.8 lens is slightly sharper than the Rollei f1.8 version. This Carl Zeiss Planar is marked 'Made in Western Germany' to distinguish from Carl Zeiss Jena lenses. The firm became separated in 1945.