Any good reading resources on Tripods?

kinlau

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As the OP is in Illinois, I would suggest staying away from non-carbon fiber legs. Carrying an all metal tripod in freezing temps will guarantee leaving it at home the next time you go out.

M43 doesn’t really need a heavy tripod for landscape work. Pretty well anything in the medium range on Amazon will be fine. Stick to Arca-Swiss compatible, which will be nearly all the clones.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Again, I agree with @ac12, but would like to point out you can cover the exposed aluminum bits with polypropylene wraps to protect your hands against extreme temperatures. Total cost is like 5 bucks.
I need to go visit the local fabric store, and see what I can find.
I had thought about pipe insulation, but when I went to pick one up, I realized that they were THICK. nixed that idea.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
I need to go visit the local fabric store, and see what I can find.
I had thought about pipe insulation, but when I went to pick one up, I realized that they were THICK. nixed that idea.
LensCoat has various sized leg wraps. Available from BH and Amazon, and probably others. Optech used to make leg wraps, but I don't see them on their site anymore. Amazon had a elastic wrapping tape that comes in various camouflage patterns and looks like the stuff they use to wrap bandages in the clinics. It ought to offer some insulation from cold metal.
https://www.amazon.com/Uning-Self-adhesive-Protective-Camouflage-Multi-functional/dp/B01JZL8TGG/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=tripod+leg+wraps&qid=1580348069&sr=8-7

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
hmm the yoga mat might work, but the camping mattress/pad is thicker than pipe insulation.
Time to go visit Big-5 and Target.
You might be able to find a source of sheet neoprene (wet suit material), cut a piece out, and glue it on with contact cement/wet suit glue. You could possibly glue and sew the edges together, but pulling them into contact with some tension would be a neat trick.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As the OP is in Illinois, I would suggest staying away from non-carbon fiber legs. Carrying an all metal tripod in freezing temps will guarantee leaving it at home the next time you go out.

M43 doesn’t really need a heavy tripod for landscape work. Pretty well anything in the medium range on Amazon will be fine. Stick to Arca-Swiss compatible, which will be nearly all the clones.
Yeah but I'm in Central Illinois, you know, where there are Palm trees, sandy beaches, and orange groves year round.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I went to the Really Right Stuff shop when they were in San Luis Obispo, CA as they carried both the Gitzo (then) and their own RRS brand. I was sold on the RRS one given they had issues getting parts to fix the Gitzos even though they were a Gitzo dealer then. Sales guy went over all the pluses and nagatives of both and ended up with the RRS tripod and BH-55 ballhead and clamp head. I didn't plan on spending around $1,500 for a tripod, but so much for the credit card hit.

It isn't bad overall and should last me a long time, but I've had issues with it. The clamp lever on the Arca-Swiss clamping plate twisted a bit in time and struck the L-plate. The clamp pin used then was thinner than the newer ones since I bought a later version of the same clamp for a mono-pod of theirs too. Hopefully, the new one won't be as likely to twist again (I twisted the old one back as repair was half the price of a new one.).

I also have some issue with the tripod legs and vibration. I ended up putting a sandbag or wrist weight on the upper leg joints that seem to dampen them a bit. I cold tap a leg and hear and fell the thing ringing without the weights. I suspect most tubular carbon-fiber legs may be prone to this, and the new Peak Designs is using a different leg shape that avoids the "chime effect" and ringing - maybe. I wondered if those vibes affected some of my high-rez shots too, and also why Olympus includes a 12 second timer as if they know something about dampening vibes. Later on, the Center Column website, already mentioned, had some test where they show the RRS dampening to fade out around 12 seconds: RRS TV-33 tripod test and dampening.

Here's one photo of the wrist-weights on my RRS tripod. Hanging a sandbag off the center column wasn't as effective as the tubes still could ring while weighted via the center hook. I've since gone to a heavier weight on the legs, maybe 5 pounds each.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If you want stable and vibration free, it's probably best to use a video tripod that has the dual tubes per each leg section - but they get expensive! A normal still tripod used for video can lead to a "Jello Effect" with video so they go for the video dual-leg ones. Best ones are Cartoni, Miller, OConnor, or Sachtier - but none of these come with K-Mart prices!

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Is there a difference in material strength between Carbon fiber and Aluminum? Particluarly in cold weather? Do things get brittle in Winter?
not an issue - less wt. and less conduction of 'cold' to your hand are the factors (plus a used Al tripod will be cheaper)

ektar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Don
The advantages of CF are weight, less cold conduction as @ralf-11 said, and less resonance, meaning less transmission of ground vibration to the camera and faster damping of the camera's own vibration.
And more money to the seller.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom