1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any Good iPhone Apps

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by retiredfromlife, Oct 1, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I am just using the Olympus Share app to control the camera. Are there any other apps that people use with Olympus cameras? Plenty in the app store but one never knows if they are really any good.

Regards

2. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    Cascable is good. Some features require the paid version (actually it works as in-app purchase). But the free features are basically equivalent olympus-share, but with a better UI, and the paid features add some cool stuff like RAW handling, focus peaking, etc. I just use the free version at the moment and greatly prefer it to olympus-share.

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Wow, had not seen that one before, its very slick!

4. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    I've been meaning to make a thread about it, because it really is remarkably good, and I haven't seen much discussion around here about it.

5. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I have the free version installed now, wonder if the focus peaking will work with the E-P5? It says the peaking is red, that would be better than the white or black I have in camera. But this app is $25.00, expensive for a phone app. I will have to see how it goes before trying the pro version pack

Regards

6. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    I'd not seen cascable - I'm downloading it as we speak. If it can handle both Panasonic and Olympus files I'll be very happy, and it looks like you can buy the premium unlocks separately if you wish.

For other apps, I do most of my editing on an iPad and highly recommend Snapseed and Facetune. I use those two for 95% of my stuff, with LR mobile and Picsplay for the remaining time. I'm blown away by what these apps can do.

7. algold

algold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2016
    Alex
    Cascable is really good. Bought it when it was in V.1 to control my Canon EOS-M3 - the Canon app wasn't great. Since V.2 Cascable supports Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sony cameras with wifi, Panasonic isn't on the list.
    It works nicely with my EOS-M3 and E-M10 II both on iPhone and iPad mini and the ability to use Apple Watch as a remote shutter release is a bonus.
    The full price is quite high, but I can highly recommend this app if you need to control your camera remotely and to transfer full size images to your iPhone or iPad for editing or sharing. Android users are out of luck :(, only iOS is supported for now.

8. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    I use VCSO for any editing of jpegs...generally my workflow these days is shoot, transfer to iPad via wifi, light edit (if needed) and publish. Simple! :)

9. iKenndac

iKenndac New to Mu-43

Oct 1, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Hello! My name is Daniel and I'm the founder of Cascable (and the lead engineer)! What a wonderful surprise to stumble upon this thread - thanks for all the nice things you said about our app! It's spurred me to stop lurking and finally register here.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch through the forum or Cascable's website. I haven't posted about Cascable here before since I'm sure the promoting the app using the forum will be frowned upon, but since this thread is already going hopefully it's ok to chime in.

Preempting our most common requests: Panasonic is next on our list of manufacturers to add - hopefully it'll happen early next year (remember it's already October!). Android is something we'd love to do, but we don't have the expertise to bring Cascable to the Android platform at the moment.

Yes, focus peaking works with all supported cameras!

Again, thanks for the nice words about Cascable and don't hesitate to get in touch!

• Like Like x 4
  10. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    My one wish list would be to tether to the app but use the camera as normal, so you can instantly review on a tablet while shooting normally. But sadly I think it's a limitation of the camera firmware rather than than the app.

A cool feature would be a overlay/onion-skin interface for shooting stop motion.

11. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia

Hope this is an easy one, where is the forum?
    from looking at "Cascable: The Professional WiFi Camera Remote" I cannot see a forum. Is this the main site?

Regards

12. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    @iKenndac@iKenndac - thanks for posting, I'm just playing around with free version at the moment. I'd also like to see a way to live review on my iPad while shooting from the camera, it would take my home studio* to another level. I shoot with both Panasonic and Olympus so look forward to an update that can work with both cameras.

*ok it's my dining room, my wife would not be happy if she knew I was trying to turn it into a studio...

13. iKenndac

iKenndac New to Mu-43

Oct 1, 2016
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Unfortunately, yes, this is a limitation of Olympus' implementation of WiFi. Cascable does support the workflow you're talking about, but only with cameras that support it - which is currently limited to the more high-end Canons, most Nikons and some Sonys.

That is our site, but we don't have a dedicated forum yet!

As discussed above, this is a limitation on Olympus' firmware. Sorry! :(