Any Fuji X100 users here?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Rudi, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    How do you like it, compared to your Olympus :43: gear?

I am specifically asking here, in this forum, since I already have an E-P3 and the 20mm /1.7, which should be very similar in FOV and speed to the Fuji lens (I also have the 45mm f/1.8 and kit zoom)... but the X100 keeps calling out to me! I know the X100 is a bit quirky, but I am looking for an honest opinion from someone who has used both cameras - the Fuji X100 and a recent Olympus :43: body - how do they compare? What do you like/dislike about each? Should I keep my money and forget about the X100, or is the X100 different enough that you feel it's worth the money?

So... how do you feel about your X100? :smile:

2. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    I don't have an X100 and I don't have an Olympus m43 camera but I've used (for a short period) an X100 and I have owned a G1, GF1 and now have a GH2 and GF2. I really like the X100 - pics and colour (maybe because I'm using a Panny and not an Oly) are fantastic. It was, however, slower focussing and it took forever to process the pic after taking a pic. That may have just been due to that particular camera. I'm holding out until the Spring to see what the new LX will be like. If it's just as good as the X100 with improved processing, I will be seriously considering getting one.

3. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    I used to have this problem :). I want to buy X100 but on the other hand, EP3 is an interchangeable lens camera. I decided to buy EP3.

1 week after I bought it, I went back to the camera shop to buy new lens. Someone tried out an x100 , I borrowed it and he tried my ep3. At that moment I was glad I've bought EP3 because the write speed takes forever using TEAM sdcard class 10 8GB. I takes like 3 or 4 secs.

One thing that beats Olympus ass is black and white image quality. It's sharp and it is real black and white, not just monotone greyish color. There is stil if...... if you can nail the focus, I don't know if it's just me but it's rather slow and a little bit hard to focus. I like street photography, so for shooting people using x100 AF it's not recommended. Maybe it can if you use prefocus.

It is just me, I'm not a pro and I tried it only 1/2 hour so maybe I'm not lucky and tried the wrong x100.

4. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    from all my drooling obsessive research on the x100, i think you REALLY need to know all its quirks and REALLY be ok with them, else you end up returning it

it could be manual focus for all i care, i do st photography mainly and almost always zone focus
    i dont even need it to be f2!

i just love the styling, the image quality, and the OVF part of the hybrid vf

the slow write times would be annoying, i wonder if a uhs card helps enuf

5. Ben

Ben Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2009
    London
    I pre-ordered an X100 and fell in love with it. It's not that quirky - the menu system is fine (and you hardly need it as there are physical controls). Sure autofocus and write times aren't brilliant but coming from a manual film background I haven't noticed. Image quality is up there with my original 5D and noticeably better than my G1 and 20mm.

What I love:
    - amazing jpegs. This is the first digital camera I have owned where I even shoot jpegs. They are stellar.
    - silent shutter.
    - very fast flash sync and handles flash wonderfully.

Nope - I haven't even mentioned the viewfinder. It was the main selling point and I would not be that bothered with a normal EVF.

My favourite camera ever? Probably. Maybe tied with an M6.

6. kimnkk

kimnkk Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 25, 2011
    Me!bourne, Australia
    I don't mind the E-PL2 with 20mm f/1.7. I think the pictures are very nice and low light performance is excellent with the 1.7!

I love the X100 VF but yeah, its basically a slower and clunkier camera to use but you do get used to it. I like the B&W JPEGS out of the X100, unbeatable. The X100 is also sharper (pretty damn sharp wide open i have to say) and files are less noisy.

IMO i find the X100 to be more confidence inspiring especially being behind a viewfinder. But that might be because i'm used to big DSLRs where i can bring the camera up and support it with my eye as well as hands.

I could pick up either and be confident that i will enjoy using it and have fun throughout the day. Overall though i have to say they both have their pros and cons and bang for buck definitely goes towards the m43 setup IMO!

IMG_8440.

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Another X100 owner here. Its a slower camera in operation than most modern camera's with a similar price-tag. DSLR users who buy it expecting a smaller camera with one focal length that will OTHERWISE be a lot like their DSLRs are almost inevitably disappointed with it.

I love it. You kind of have to think of it as more of a film shooting experience with amazing digital results. It'll make you slow down and be more deliberate. If you're trying to shoot street or action, its not quick enough to just raise and shoot and often isn't a very good hip shooter. But if you have the camera to your eye, watch the scene develop through the viewfinder, half press for focus and exposure as it takes shape and then save the final half press for the right moment, you can shoot almost anything with it. I don't love it as a street camera because I'm just not that comfortable shooting with a camera in my face in those conditions anymore. But its a fine street camera for those who are and its a wonderful walk around camera, travel camera, whatever camera for those who are good with a single focal length. Sometimes I is, sometimes I ain't, but when I is, there's no camera I'd rather have. And the IQ is just wonderful - best of any camera I own and unbelievable in low light...

I'd buy it again in a second, but its not even remotely for everyone.

-Ray

8. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I think Olympus E-P3 produces better B&W JPEGs if you take some time to tweak the camera settings to your taste.

nq0yO105PmCDsCtXOmu8.

Rudi, there was a similar thread not too long ago, I think you may be interested to read all the replies there: https://www.mu-43.com/f35/talk-me-out-guys-18125/

9. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    + 100, and I was one of those that returned it...

I'm not an Olympus user sorry, I shoot with a GH2 and assorted glass... After about a month of making myself use the X100, I just found myself returning to MFT, especially the GH2 + Nokton 25mm...

I simply found that the X100 was too compromised in all the things it was suppose to be good at...

- It's got a wonderful F2 lens, but you can't use it at F2 in daylight (faster than 1/500") because of the leaf shutter. Of course, you can use the in-built ND filters, but then you have to assign them to the Fn button, which means you can't assign ISO to the Fn button, which means you have no ISO access.

- If focusses slowly. This would be fine - just manual focus. But the focus-by-wire manual focus is terrible.

- It focusses close, but it has two different settings for over 1m and below 1m, which is insanely frustrating to use.

Basically, I got is as a walkaround/street camera. But the #1 requirement of such a camera is that it doesn't get in the way, and bloody hell the X100 does everything possible to get in the way.

10. AbsolutKev

AbsolutKev Mu-43 Regular

Nov 6, 2011
    Johor, malaysia
    For the price of the x100, u can buy v good glasses.

Im an admirer of the x100 but it is not practical for me. So i ll skip it.

11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I had a whirlwind romance with it. Initial disappointment turned into a slow romance. If I didn't already have a great compact-ish camera (the gf1 with 20mm lens) I definitely would have kept it, but for me the 2 cameras were too similar. The crazy clean high ISO was nearly enough to sway me, but when I weighed in the price difference, I opted out. I may get another one some day if I have too much money lying around. Or I may just save up for the FUJI ILC coming this spring.

12. richard.arzooyan

richard.arzooyan New to Mu-43

Oct 26, 2011
    Do what I did and get the x10, a fine little take anywhere when the G3 is having a rest, best of both worlds and much better value than the X100 in my opinion. I do actually prefer the colour shots taken with the x10 and the b&w with the G3 and Nokton 50mm lens.....

13. timgoesusa

timgoesusa Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2011
    Amsterdam
    I shot with the x100 for an hour in a dimmed light room. Own a E-p3 with 12mm 2.0 25mm 1.4 and 45mm 1.8. I know it's a more expensive set then a x100. But it beats it on all fronts except jpg and dynamic range. But it's really really slow the the focus had to be done more than 4 times in some cases!! My e-p3 next to it with the 12mm nailed every shot sharp 1st try both were set on spot focus.

On the images on the computer raw and jpg the fuji had an edge in dynamic range. But a lot of moved shots and just missed a lot of shots. Color wise i like the old film styles in the x100 but raw wise more popping color ability.

I love the b&w in both!! You just have to fiddle with the ep3's settings first Low/key bump up contrast and sharpness a little. X100 is nice out of the box. But is really bulky compared to the e-p3. The evf in the X100 is draggy!! Not so in the vf-2 on the Ep-3 it's
    bright sharp and fast!! I like the Hybrid view for the fact you can see something/body coming in to the frame.

But a different price gets a totally different more versatile system. Alot of good glass to choose from!! Instead of just 1 focal range, what i think will become boring eventually.

Hope it helped,
    Greetz