1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Any former Nikon V1 owners? (Thoughts between OMD vs V1 needed)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by duvinclunk, Aug 25, 2012.

1. duvinclunk

duvinclunk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Ok, I'll keep it short and to the point. Looking to purchase my first camera outside of a traditional point and shoot for hobby. I have narrowed it down between the OMD EM5 and the Nikon V1. I have very little time behind a full sized DSLR and decided to go mirrorless for 1. the size and 2. the easy functionality. I was set on the V1 for its ease of use and great, simple design. I was told to look into the OMD because of its great abilities beyond what I'd need. I have spent the last month researching the two and am at a complete loss between what to get. I love how the V1 feels in my hand and love how small the kit lenses are. I love the OMD for its vast abilities and lens options. I dislike the V1 for its sensor size and lack of quick control buttons on the exterior. I dislike the OMD for the clutter of buttons, its design (my opinion), and the large size of its lens options.

What I wanted to know if there was anyone who have owned and shot with both cameras that can give me a non-biased opinion of both. I understand that most opinions here would lean towards the OMD but I'd like to know why in day to day use.

Any thoughts are welcome between the two cameras, thanks!

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Glass. Go to a site like B&H and look at all the available glass for the Nikon and then look at the available glass for the m43's (OMD), from ALL makers. Besides that, the OMD, and Pany GH-3, are now being used by pros and serious amateur photographers.

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I don't own either. But I do believe the EM-5 out performs the V1 in all aspects.

Have you looked into the Lumix GX1? Half the price of OMD and very similar performance, with smaller form factor to boot. Use that $500 to get the Panny Leica 25mm Summilux.

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I have no experience with the V1 duvinclunk, so I won't offer an opinion, but I will say that you will get better answers if you explain a bit what your priorities are as a photographer.

Good luck with your decision.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I haven't used the V1, but I find it a bit bizarre to buy an interchangeable lens system that doesn't have many (barely any, actually) lenses. Even m4/3 is struggling a bit in that regard. Why would you want a V1 instead of an RX100? The few reasons just aren't that compelling IMO.

Of course that's without hands-on, caveat emptor.

6. cputeq

cputeq Mu-43 Regular

Jul 27, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Jeremy
    I rented the V1 and the short kit lens (along with the adapter and I think 3 other Nikkors) and I own the OM-D.

OM-D all the way. Once you set up the camera, you really don't have to fiddle much with a lot of controls if you won't want to, but at least you have the option. V1? Forget about it - it's a completely dumbed-down camera. Good for really casual walkabouts, but so is the OM-D.

I *also* own the GX1, and it's a lot more V1-like than the OM-D. Small body just like the V1, but has a great roster of lenses and if you really want a small kit, just get one of the PZ lenses from Panasonic.

You and I are definitely different, though - I HATED the feel of the V1 when I rented it - it really, really had no grip to it. I always felt like I was going to drop it.

I'm not saying the OM-D (bare) is great, but it is a heck of a lot better than the V1.

The only think the V1 really beats (pretty much any) m43 camera in is AF-C performance and tiny lenses and maybe some gee-whiz modes (which I never used).

Check out my rather sparse blog, Clicking With Smitty and click "Hardware" at the top, I have some thoughts posted on the V1 and OM-D kits respectively.

I had no real issue with V1's actual image quality, but performance as anything other than an expensive P&S just wasn't there, and the lenses definitely aren't there.

I'd take my GX1 with 14mm 2.5 or 20 1.7 (haven't used it yet) over the V1 any day.

7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  8. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    The problem when it comes to M43 is that the Op might just be looking at the OMD and Olympus lenses. If he doesnt like the OMD there is the GX1 or G5 to consider and if he wants a smaller zoom lens then the 14-42x which is smaller then the Nikon.

That said if you are looking to trade up from a P&S and sticking solely to the standard 3x and 10x zooms there isnt a huge amount to choose between the systems. The problem is that it isnt actually much of a trade up. Want a reasonably fast portrait lens - M43 has the 45/1.8, 75/1.8 - Nikon nothing. Fast standard - M43 20/1.7, 25/1.4 - Nikon nothing. Wide angle M43 7-14/f4 - Nikon nothing.

And as someone pointed out if all I wanted was a trade up from a P&S with a good zoom, I would probably go for the Sony RX100 for the size and convenience.

9. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I think that it is pretty clear that the OP was asking about EVIL's and not cameras like the RX100 or GX1.

10. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    GX1 is EVIL! :biggrin:

You're thinking of the G1X.

11. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The GX1 has a viewfinder? Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens. EVIL.

12. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    The V1 has a $300 instant rebate coming. I believe it starts 8/26.

13. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    There's a long debate about whether the LCD counts (which would mean EV is really "EV (only)"), but if you want to split hairs, there's the LVF-2. Lots of member live with it on their GX1's full time. Heck, the E-P1 was called an EVIL going way back and it didn't even have the option of an add-on electronic viewfinder. By your definition, the E-M5 was Olympus' first EVIL.

14. The definition of a viewfinder is not restricted to an eye-level device. They're all EVIL.

15. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I can't just make a decision between the two since they are totally different. But since the J2 and V2 of 1 system have been released you should probably give a try, there is no sensor upgrade but there are vital upgrade for the system to become more serious tool, and the price is lowered.
    sensor-wise the 1 system can't compete with Sony RX100, but if it's EVIL that you're thinking of (given that the EM5 is beyond what you'd need), why not just take a look at the Olympus EPM?

16. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    GH3?

17. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi

If you can afford , then got OMD or even Panasonic GX1 . Nikon 1 series is still in infancy and MFT is a toddler already .
    Cheers

18. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

??? The GX-1 and E-M5 have only a couple of millimeters difference in size (basically the hump estate, otherwise, their proportion are very, very close).

Regarding ergonomics, controls and user interface, the GX-1 is way ahead of the E-M5. More dedicated buttons, a better touch interface, user registered settings (4 presets via direct button, no menu diving), etc.

The one area that the E-M5 is really above the GX-1 (dare I say the only one ?) is dynamic range headroom, in RAW files. NOT sure how that would affact a P&S upgrader AT ALL in real life...

For the price asked today the GX-1 offers an incredible value, and the image quality is on par with entry to mid level DSLRs...

19. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I like the relative accessibility and simplicity of the GX1 UI, but the OM-D UI offers a far greater degree of user control of the physical interface. At best, I think it's only possible to regard these as individual preferences and opinions. I actually preferred the GF1 UI to the GX1 UI.

20. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Thanks...
    Personally, I'd go with Olympus because of the lens selection - you can't go wrong there! :smile:

IMHO,
    The Nikon 1 system has 2 "big" things going for it and 1 "little" thing.

Big Things:
    -2.7 Crop Factor
    Great for wild life shooting - those 35mm all of a sudden become wow!
    -Auto-focus
    Continous & Continuos Tracking autofocus are better than my E-PL2s but I have no experience with the OMD to compare :redface:

Little Thing:
    Based on the shots that I've seen, the Aptina sensor is comparable to the Sony rx100. I'd call the the Sony's a bit better in the long run, but not by that much..Here are some ISO 3200 JPEGs straight out of camera:

6316362110_5523748d1a.
    Nikon 1 J1 ISO 3200 Straight Out Of Camera by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

6316327040_59aa8fb549.
    Nikon J1 ISO 3200 Straight Out Of Camera by RedTail_Panther, on Flickr

The Nikon 1's biggest weaknesses are a total lack of lenses & add to it, still no fast primes. Even Canon came out of the gates with a fast prime so kudos to Canon for that.

So to summarize,
    I'd still lean towards MFT purely for huge amount of native lenses available for shooting.