Any former hunters on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
Although my Dad took me hunting sometimes when I was little, I never actually got into deer hunting until about 5 years ago. Oddly, the reason I started because my wife wanted me to get some organic meat. I was fortunate enough to have a friend who is a very knowledgeable hunter but even so, I've only gotten 2 deer in the 5 years that I've been hunting. I can only afford to spend one or two weekends a year hunting and I don't know the area well enough to know when the deer are migrating (FYI it's not the same time each year) or which routes they're using. What surprised me most is that sitting in the woods, watching for deer, was something I could do for hours. I was also quite pleased with myself when I was able to start identifying places where I thought a deer might appear and then, while staking out the area, actually see deer. Unfortunately, they were always does but when and where I hunt it's bucks only.

Between carrying the gun, water, food, binoculars, dressing equipment, and folding chair (for long periods of waiting) I have no interest in carrying a camera but I will take photos of the scenery with my smartphone.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
OK. Let's pick just a few words out here. 'Hobby', 'Skills', 'Firearm management', 'understanding one's prey' for instance.

'Hobby'? - killing defenseless animals for enjoyment.
'Skills'? - Using intelligence against an animal who hasn't got a clue.
'Firearm management'? - Wouldn't need any of it if not killing animals for fun.
'Understanding ones prey'? - Pity ones 'prey' doesn't understand them, it might be a fairer fight if it did ... and if it had guns, sat nav, etc. etc. etc.

How would you feel if someone from another world came with weapons which you don't understand or can fight against, 'skills which you cannot comprehend, etc. etc. .... and then started to hunt you and consider you as just 'prey'

As I said, I can understand culling for the sake of the animals and their environment, I can also understand killing for food, but here I would use the phrase 'Essential Food' which should need no explanation.
More lack of understanding, speaking from no experience.

'Hobby'? - killing defenseless animals for enjoyment. There is more to hunting than killing. Way more.
'Skills'? - Using intelligence against an animal who hasn't got a clue. Now that's too funny. These animals have us beat hands down in their own environment. Haven't got a clue, indeed.
'Firearm management'? - Wouldn't need any of it if not killing animals for fun. Sorry, but many of us also do sport shooting. Targets, competitions, etc. Firearm management is involved the very second you pick up a gun.
'Understanding ones prey'? - Pity ones 'prey' doesn't understand them, it might be a fairer fight if it did ... and if it had guns, sat nav, etc. etc. etc. The fight, as you describe it, is very fair. I have been skunked more times than not. I can't run 35 miles an hour, I don't have almost 360 degree vision, I don't blend in well in the woods, and I'm not nearly as strong as almost any game animal on the planet. My teeth are way to small to do much damage. I smell like a predator, not an herbivore. I don't have claws. My eyesight and sense of smell are a joke compared to anything in the woods. My innate sense of danger is also muted thanks to many years of evolution.

How would you feel if someone from another world came with weapons which you don't understand or can fight against, 'skills which you cannot comprehend, etc. etc. .... and then started to hunt you and consider you as just 'prey'

And there it is. Assigning human traits and characteristics to animals is the problem here. They do not 'feel' about it at all. They don't 'not understand'. The do not assess a person's 'skills' nor try to 'comprehend' them. They do understand that they are prey. That's why they're designed like they are. They also understand what a predator looks and smells like.

The truth of the matter is that without a weapon, man is so outmatched his chances would be absolutely zero.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran

And there it is. Assigning human traits and characteristics to animals is the problem here. They do not 'feel' about it at all. They don't 'not understand'. The do not assess a person's 'skills' nor try to 'comprehend' them. They do understand that they are prey. That's why they're designed like they are. They also understand what a predator looks and smells like.

The truth of the matter is that without a weapon, man is so outmatched his chances would be absolutely zero.
Yup, they're well aware that they're prey which is why they're so easily spooked. Also, just because they don't run away if you stop your car on the side of the road to watch them in a field doesn't mean you can casually walk up to them. And also, when it's hunting season, the bucks are not easy to find. They're extremely wary. Personally, if I were a deer, I'd prefer to be taken out by a hunter as opposed to wolves.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
In this country, deer were released into quite vast areas with absolutely no predators. Not a great idea, but eventually nature balances itself out, the hard way...
To deny the role of predator, just goes to show, that some people have no idea, what nature is all about. I remember reading a great book about deer in America dieing wholesale when the snows came because humans had shot all the wolves out.
Im gonna use my camera for deer simply because as I get older, I’m not going to put myself thru the super hard work of carrying abackpack full of meat over rough terrain.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I remember reading a great book about deer in America dieing wholesale when the snows came because humans had shot all the wolves out.
In particularly bad years and before the wolf was reintroduced in Michigan's Upper Peninsula, the Department of Natural Resources would drop hay into winter yards with helicopters. Yards are fields where the deer herd in the winter to scrape snow off the ground to look for food. It's been a while since I've heard of that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom