Any former hunters on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I realize this could turn controversial but I’m curious who got started oh photography bc of hunting. I grew up an avid deer, duck, and turkey hunter. My entire life revolves around it. When I was a dumb ass 25yo I even quit a job making $75k so I could take turkey season off and go to Alabama and hunt ($75k at 25yo was pretty good in 2000!!)
I always enjoyed bringing my cameras and capturing wild life. It started with film cameras when I was young with my dad and eventually lead to digital. As my love for wildlife photography grew, so did my appreciation for the wildlife! I found myself sitting in the deer stand with my camera and using it more than my gun. Then it transformed into me and my camera and no gun. Today I have no interesting in killing anything! I spend just as much time in the woods chasing these critters but now it’s with a camera. This seems to have happened to a lot of hunters that discovered photography. Anyone here? Also excuse any errors or the fact this is poorly written. I’m using my phone at the dentist office. 🤪

JensM

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
As screename
I have hunted on and off for about 30 years, am more of a shooter that hunts on occasion, than a fellow that regulates my calendar based on whats in season. The last year or so, I have been pondering if I want keep it up at all, other than the pigeon weekend with my brother, but that is more of a social thing with guns, than hunting anyways.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A little before you time perhaps, but there was a TV series called Northern Exposure. One of the characters, played by John Cullum, is an ex-hunter who now "shoots" with a camera mounted on a gun stock.

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
A little before you time perhaps, but there was a TV series called Northern Exposure. One of the characters, played by John Cullum, is an ex-hunter who now "shoots" with a camera mounted on a gun stock.
We loved that show. The opening credits showed a moose walking around downtown.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
Similar story here, though I was never really a hunter of bigger animals. More so pests and introduced species such as Fox and rabbit. I'm more of a shooter than hunter these days, I still enjoy target shooting and plinking tin cans but rarely kill anything. I'm probably a much better shot with rifle than camera, though. Much to learn with photography.

billca

Mu-43 Regular
I have mooses in the backyard with some regularity as well as Roe Deer.
We have moose, deer and bear dropping by. Though not as many bears for the last few years.
I rarely grab a camera or a gun for any of them these days. After 30 years its nothing special :biggrin:.

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Charlie
When the red deer rut gets underway in a couple of months, I’m seriously considering just taking my camera. It’ll be easier, and make it more fun I think.

Keeth101

Mu-43 Veteran
Should this thread not be titled "Any former killers on here"?

Sorry, but to the rest of the world ....

Real Name
Mel
My father was a veteran of combat for several years and he tried to go back to hunting after he returned but killing anything was not in his future and the sounds of gunfire caused him anxiety unless he was expecting it. I went hunting a few times with friends and found that I did not like the discomfort. In the Army, the only hunting I did was for those who would do harm to our country or those who wanted to talk too much about what we did. I carried handguns, had to pull it once, did not have to use it and was thankful. I was ambivalent about hunting until I made friends with a nationally known wildlife photographer and went with him to Yellowstone to photograph wildlife and also to Rocky Mountain National Park. He loved the wildlife, especially the wolves that he had done many magazine covers and spreads with his photos. I know he had once hunted but was so into the welfare of the animals. He had no disrespect, nor do I, for those who hunt, and eat their kill. I hate the trophy hunters who have to have the largest rack disregarding the food value and I can not stand those who kill endangered just because they have the money to do so. I would not hunt because I value the lives of every living thing but having said that, killing for actual consumption is necessary unless we all start eating plants only. When I was working on a big personal injury case involving a meatpacking plant, I got my fill of watching the kill station and it came very quickly.

Never a hunter, but definitely an outdoorsmen. I've always been into photography and recently I got into wildlife shooting. I can definitely see why a hunter would enjoy wildlife photography. When I explain to my friends about the photography I like doing now I say "it's like hunting but nothing get's harmed". I'm learning a lot about the animals that live close by, their names, habits, etc. Been a real fun and different way to connect to nature.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 25yrs ago
Not much to hunt in the UK for the average bloke but I was snaring and hunting duck and coot eggs from the age of 11 all for the pot. What got me interested most was when I found out about "runs" and I started tracking them. There was a huge cemetery nearby and runs could clearly be seen passing through gaps in the fencing so whether the rabbits and hares went in there to eat the flowers, I have no idea. I can see now in my minds eye the first time I saw these runs in the snow and how excited I was to see them in more than just flattened grass. We practically lived off rabbit that hard winter. By 15 I was in the army and that wonderful sense of achievement and self sufficiency gave way to learning more pressing skills. I have never hunted since except with a camera and I still sometimes get waylaid by a track/run and I love to fish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom