Any Fix or Workaround for E-PL2 Sun Image Flaw Spots?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by klrman, Jul 19, 2015.

1. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    I hate to keep losing beautiful sun shots with the known flaw in the E-PL2 camera and was wondering if Olympus ever addressed the spots that come so often when taking pics of the sun. Years ago, last I heard was that the sensor itself was reflecting of the sun into the image.

Just took this pic in the morning and it could have been a nice pic.

2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    That is not a flaw of the camera, but of the lens - something that is not designed to shoot directly into the sun. Shooting scenes like this you should close your lens down to F/22, but even then you are likely to get some flare unless you are using some of the best lenses - and even with the best you may still get flare sometimes.
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    No, the red dots are a well documented sensor issue with that camera. The flare in the lower right hand area in the frame is a lens issue. Shooting the sun, when it's that high above the horizon will rarely work.
  4. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

I've taken over 16,000 shots with my E-PL2 and I've seen the effect just once. But I almost never shoot into the sun. I knew about the issue before I got my camera and figured I wouldn't be affected that often. That's how it's turned out.

5. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    You're not wrong!
  6. klrman

klrman Mu-43 Regular

Aug 11, 2011
    My Wife has this cheapo Samsung pocket camera and it takes the most beautiful sun shots, where as my expensive EPL-2 messes so many of them up.
  7. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Sounds like a good reason to upgrade your camera!! [emoji14]
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    The E-PL2 has distinctive flare from light reflecting off sensor to lens and back to sensor. It never bothered me because flare is common in photos of the sun. Some post-processing software can even add flare. If you like sun shots without flare, though, the E-PL2 is not a perfect match for you.
  9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It actually looks like a picture of the aperture which is caused by an interaction of the lens coatings and sensor hot mirror, it's kind of not really a type of flare. The light bounces between the rear glass surfaces in front of the aperture and the hot mirror of the sensor, if you look at the shape of the red dots they will form the exact shape of the aperture (although likely softened by diffraction).

If it's what I'm thinking it is the solution is actually to shoot at wider apertures rather than stopping down, shooting at smaller apertures will make the problem worse. Well wider won't make it completely better... it's more that it becomes a generalized flare over the entire picture rather than distinct red dots and it's essentially removed by the white balance.

I seem to recall Brian Caldwell... EDIT: huge chunk removed as I found where he said it, he's REALLY good at this sort of thing - you might even say he makes a living on it. It's an interaction of the coatings (in this case sensor rather than speedbooster optics behind the lens and exit pupil of the lens, changing the focal length by zooming or shooting closer to wider open would change the behavior.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2015