any f1.0 lenses (or wider) good for astrophotography?

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by travelbug, May 16, 2016.

1. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    at present i use the rokinon 12/2 for my night shots and star trails (with my em5ii). i shoot wide open usually at iso800 . i deign to go higher (on iso) as i find the em5ii sensor a bit too noisy at that point. i can still capture the milky way with relatively good detail at those settings.

however, i am toying with the idea of getting a 0.95 lens. thats full stops faster than the rok 12/2, theoretically it would allow me to drop 2 full stops of iso- which would put me at iso200. that would be a really clean image, if possible.

i read somewhere (here) that the 0.95 voigtlanders produce ugly coma, so that kinda rules them out. what other options do i have for a focal length of 17.5 or wider, if any?
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

8mm f/1.8. You can use way longer shutter speeds.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. travelbug

travelbug Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2014
    yes the 8mm, can give you 1 full stop iiirc. although im really looking for a lens that could double as a great low light lens (for indoor, night street, etc) and i already have a 1.8 actually (aside from the rok 12/2).
  4. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Rob Campbell
    the voigts aren't great for astrophotography because of the coma and vignetting. That said, they are interesting.

shot with the 17.5mm

top right corner shows what these lenses do to points of light, e.g, stars. (edit: wide open, you can stop down and by f2.0, they get better, but you lose the whole point of this lens if you have to do that)

I really wanted the 10.5mm to be an awesome lens for astro, but I played with one in store, just taking pictures of lights at different areas of the lens and it was pretty bad. Chromatic aberrations and purple fringes everywhere.

I still love my CV17.5 and 25 though. Just not necessarily for shooting stars. :)
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. AG_Alex2097

AG_Alex2097 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2015
    Alex S.
    Wait for Olympus to release their f/1.2 primes i suppose (no eta on those though (and probably only 1 focal length at a time))
    I've searched for a great astro lens as well, but the 12mm f/2.0 from both Oly & Samyang are the fastest lenses that retain great quality with little abberations for the time being (excluding the fisheyes)
    • Like Like x 2