Any experience with Square Trade warranties?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by kadamnation, Jun 20, 2013.

1. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    B&H had posters all over for Square Trade drop-and-spill warranties last time I was there, and Amazon's advertising Square Trade in conjunction with OM-D listings as well. Has anybody here had any experiences with these folks, good or bad? SquareTrade 3-Year Camera Accident Protection Plan ($900-1000): Camera & Photo

After losing my GX1, I'm definitely interested in insuring whatever I get to replace it... Although I'm also a little confused about whether you just get a warrantee that covers X amount of damage, or whether I'd also need to get separate coverage for all my lenses, etc.
  2. denis_sf

denis_sf Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Perhaps a bit dated knowledge, but I bought a Square Trade warranty with my first 'real' DSLR many years ago, a Nikon D40. The camera developed an issue where an error code would come on any time I powered up the camera, so I contacted Square Trade and they sent me a box in which to return the camera. A week or so later I received a replacement camera. It wasn't the same one I returned. They had a refurb that they just swapped out for my camera.

It's been 6 or so years, but I remember being satisfied with the service.