Any experience with Leica R lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TNcasual, Oct 16, 2015.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I can't keep this to myself.

I have been presented with an opportunity to purchase some Leica bodies and glass at a good deal. The unfortunate thing is that I am going out of town for a week and won't pick it up now.

It includes the Elmarit 28mm 2.8, Summicron 50mm 2 and a R4s and SL2.

There are a couple threads in the showcase, but they are pretty old. Does anyone have any experience with R lenses?
  2. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Update: I just took ownership of this Leica equipment at what amounts to a real "steal." It includes the R4S and SL2 bodies plus the Elmarit 28mm 2.8, Summicron 50mm 2, Elmar Macro 100mm 4 (with bellows) and a gigantic Tokina made Vivitar 600mm f8 preset. :dance4:

My adapter doesn't get here until Monday... :(
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN

Here is everything.

And my adapter came in today. I wonder if my wife will notice me being gone all day tomorrow.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Haha - sounds like a good day is being planned :D
  5. knikki

knikki Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2015
    Up North, UK
    Yes I ran a Leica R5 with 35-70mm for a couple of years, really nice the lens has look to slide films that you just don't get from similar Japanese ones (even though the lens was made in Japan I guess by Minolta but don't know) It still gave sharp images at all apertures.

Never tried it on a digital machine. Kind of wished I had not got rid of it, might go buy another one sometime.
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I have the Summicron R 50/2.0 and 28/2.8, along with the R4 (which I've never used) and sold a vario-sonnar 80-200/4.5 which I didn't use - the lenses are nice, although I have to admit I don't use them much. If I shoot adapted glass it's usually the contax/zeiss 50/1.4 or the Voigtlander 35/1.2.
  7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN

The 28mm and 50mm will most likely fall into my regular rotation of adapted lenses. I have only been able to test them briefly so far, and in poor lighting at that.

I will be selling some of the other equipment to recovery some or all of my cost. Heck, I could sell the SL2 and end up making money on the deal. I just haven't decided what I want to keep.
  8. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I love using the 50/2 Summicron, really easy to work with. Next step is using it with the Lens Turbo but life happened and I have not had the time and patience to dedicate some quality time to that. The Macro setup should give you something nice to play with ;) Don't know the 28/2.8. Played around just for a day with the 35-70 and liked it but could not talk my Dad into giving it to me ;)

Have fun!

9. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    A little update. I have used the Leica lenses for most of the Month of November. That wasn't by plan, but just what I ended up with in the bag, or at home. Here are some links to my Flickr Albums to see what I have been up to.

Macro Elmar-R 100 4
    Summicron-R 50 2
    Elmarit-R 28 2.8
    • Like Like x 3
  10. carlosfm

carlosfm Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2015
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I hate you. :biggrin: