Any equivalent lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DaveyA, Apr 24, 2013.

1. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I sold my Nikon D70 and 18-200vr and bought the EM5 with 12-50 kit lens, the Olympus 45mm came as part of the deal and I have bought an OM 100mm f/2.8. I found the 18-200 to be perfect for me and it never left the camera. Looking through some of the photos I took with that lens today I see that the majority of them were taken at the 18mm end, some mid-range 70-ish and a few at max zoom. I was just wondering if there are any recommendations for an equivalent lens for the EM5. I do like the idea of having a nice prime for each occasion but one good zoom that could cover the most used range might be something to consider. I know a lot of people with more experience than me will probably have asked themselves this same question, I just wonder what you settled on. I did think that if I got myself a wide prime, maybe 12 or 14 and then later on when funds allow go for the 75. On the other hand if I could invest in one good zoom to cover all or some of that, I wouldn't have the need to carry the lenses around and the risk of dust etc getting in when swapping over the lenses. Most of my photography is really just walk around stuff, holidays, scenery when out hillwalking, I don't do a lot of portrait type shots but maybe a little street stuff. Something I would quite like to try would be pictures of trucks from the side of the road as they went by. I recently retired, I used to fix them and think it would be more fun to photograph them than to crawl around underneath them. At some point I think I would also be quite interested in trying some motorsport or car events. Sorry if it's a bit of a long winded question, but I have to watch the pennies a bit now and I need to make sure I get it right. Although all this free time does leave lots of opportunities to take photos, you can't have it all ways:smile:

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    The olympus 14-150mm and panasonic 14-140mm lenses are basically the exact same thing as the 18-200mm. Pretty much spot-on equivalent focal ranges.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Superzoom options

There are a couple of different "superzoom" options which will give you coverage similar to your 18-200mm Nikon. In "full frame" terms you're talking about a roughly 28-300mm zoom range, which translates to roughly 14-150mm on a 4/3 sensor.

Olympus offers a 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6. Panasonic has the 14-140mm f/4.0-5.6 and just yesterday announced a new version of this lens which is both physically smaller and optically faster (f/3.5-5.6). In addition, Tamron is rumored to be working on a 14-150 f/3.5-5.8 lens which may be out this year.

4. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Not rumoured, they announced the lens earlier this year, though I don't think they've said exactly when it'll be out though. Should be cheaper than the first-party equivalents. It sounds like you didn't take many photos at the tele end with your Nikon though, so I'd maybe get a wide zoom. I think it would be a shame not to get a 'normal' prime, as there are so many great options in the 17mm - 25mm range. You already have one of the essential lenses, the 45mm, so enjoy that!

5. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Many thanks for the help. Looks like either one of those lenses would do the job. Wondering whether it's worth waiting until the new lens comes onto the market? I have been looking at some wider primes (just can't help it can you?) It looks as if I could get an O17mm f/2.8 version or the P20mm f/1.7 for a reasonable cost. Would the 20mm be wide enough to take in a bit of scenery?

6. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    I'm by far no expert, but I've had the 20 for a while and it seems to be a great length for a little landscape plus everyday "walkin' around" use . . .

7. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks for that. It looks as if it is as compact as the 17, would you call it a pancake lens?

8. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Definitely. It's not quite as small as my Panasonic 14, but nothing is. I can't really compare to the 17 but I think the 20 might be a tad shorter.

I don't know if this will help or not (the body behind is the minolta that I cannibalized for the 50mm I was testing here). I can't take a shot of it on the camera, but I'm sure you'll find them about. I think the 20's about perfect--on my E-PL2 at least.

8288860609_36b3692d51_c.

9. DaveyA

DaveyA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    Thanks again. That's very helpful, a compact lens indeed.
    Decisions, decisions.

10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The O17/2.8 and the P20/1.7 are both pancake designs and they are quite similar in size. Here's a comparison of both with the Olympus 45/1.8 you already have to give you some scale.

Unless cost was the prime consideration, I don't think I would buy the Olympus 17/2.8, and even if price were paramount I would have a hard time choosing the O17/2.8 over the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 which is smaller, wider and optically faster. Olympus also has a newer 17mm f/1.8 which is a big improvement over the 17/2.8 optically, but it is NOT a pancake form factor, so it will be more similar in size to your O45.

I have the P20/1.7 and it's a fantastic all-around lens, I wouldn't own a :43: camera without it. The field of view is usable for most landscape work, it's terrifically sharp and it's so small that it's my favorite "walkaround" lens. The one downside is that it takes a bit longer to find focus than many of the other native lenses.

11. skellington

skellington Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Keith
    The D70 is a 1.5x crop sensor, so the 18-200 was equal to 27-300 in 35mm. The 14-140 or 14-150 are equal to 28-280/300 in 35mm.

So if you were happy with the 18-200, get one of the long zooms for m4/3, and I think you're good.