Any EPL-9 Users?

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
I have had my Olympus EPL-7 now for what seems like a long time...since Olympus is leaving us, I was thinking about picking up an EPL-9 in case my EPL-7 goes down. Anyone care to comment about what you like and dislike about the EPL-9? I know internally there is not much difference but some things changed on the outside it seems. Anyway would like to hear your experiences with the EPL-9.
Thanks.
GQR

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I agree with what @relic says, although if you are used to using your E-PL7 without a VF, then the objection is not significant, of course. If you DO use the VF with your E-PL7, then I'd suggest getting an E-M10.2, .3 or .4 instead of the E-PL8 or 9.

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
I have had my Olympus EPL-7 now for what seems like a long time...since Olympus is leaving us, I was thinking about picking up an EPL-9 in case my EPL-7 goes down. Anyone care to comment about what you like and dislike about the EPL-9? I know internally there is not much difference but some things changed on the outside it seems. Anyway would like to hear your experiences with the EPL-9.
Thanks.
GQR
EPL9 JPG file is on par with EM10 mark III but don't have the 5 axis benefit of it.
But on aesthetic side, i love the EPL9 especially the blue edition

HarryS

Mu-43 All-Pro
I bought a refurb EPL9 body during a Olympus outlet 20% sale. Probably should have passed, because I didn't realize I couldn't use my VF2 or VF4.

Having a flash is OK. I've left the flash on my EPL5 at home and tif you need one, even a little is better than an EVF.

Also doesn't have MYSET's. I used a few in my EPL5.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
EPL9 JPG file is on par with EM10 mark III but don't have the 5 axis benefit of it.
But on aesthetic side, i love the EPL9 especially the blue edition
Wait, the EPL9 doesn't have IBIS that's as good as the E-M10.2 or .3? If so, and no EVF possibility, um, why would anyone buy an E-PL9?? OK, it's cute. Otherwise, since neither camera is really pocketable, I see no reason to consider these E-PL models. I mean, it's not like the E-PL9 is that much smaller or lighter. You give up too much, IMHO.

LineDance

New to Mu-43
E-PL7 is lovely camera, with kit lens, or 25mm. 17mm is a little heavy perhaps, and 45mm more limited.

Just using with 25mm 1.7 Panasonic is a joy. Portraits, food, travel, scenery, pets, documents, evidence - this lens can do it all. Some say they have a bad copy - but ours has been excellent straight out of box - probably best lens I’ve ever used, when considering value for money, enjoyment and the memories it’s captured. For alternative view, a friend feels the same about their 45mm f1.8, which she uses for her product photography, along with a macro converter occasionally.

What lenses do you have? Would consider new lens before new body. What do you prefer to shoot?

E-PL8 looks and feels nicer to admire - with flat metal top plate, and Leica esq curved ends - but the grip when shooting is not nice, not practical, nearly dropped it on many occasions, 7 is a lot better in use. Side Note - We had 2x Tan 8’s, but had to return one due to fault out of box.

E-PL9 in Blue looks gorgeous, and inbuilt flash is nice. Grip seems better. But features (with new pretty graphics simplified menus, like em10 iii) is a step back in my view. Would depend what you do.

The E-M10 ii is lovely, and features suit travel or studio, due to “custom my sets”. E-M10 iii has really great grip, but poor choice for dual studio and travel use, as the loss of my sets and quick selection of electronic shutter (which now forces vibrant colours), is step backwards for me. Although our E-M10 iii shutter button feels unusual - doesn’t feel like a 2 stage button.

Of cameras mentioned, I like the E-PL7 and E-M10 ii best. But for most people, if not needing my sets (for studio), electronic shutter, bracketing features (like earlier implementations), I would suggest E-M10 Mark III. Spent a day walking round with Mark III and a kit lens, just shooting Medium JPEGs in mix of B&W and Colour - really enjoyed it, back to basics, focus on the fun and creativity.

Last edited:

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wait, the EPL9 doesn't have IBIS that's as good as the E-M10.2 or .3? If so, and no EVF possibility, um, why would anyone buy an E-PL9?? OK, it's cute. Otherwise, since neither camera is really pocketable, I see no reason to consider these E-PL models. I mean, it's not like the E-PL9 is that much smaller or lighter. You give up too much, IMHO.
The reason I purchased the EPL-7 was to basically take it with me on my bicycle rides as it fit nicely in my bike bag. It did not really matter whether or not it had an EVF as it was for shooting things on the fly. As time went by I began using the EPL-7 for other types of photography too. Not having a viewfinder was for the most part not an issue. In some harsh lighting it was a problem and I did not use this camera with a telephoto which I think would be a problem. Anyway, for 80 percent of my photography not having an EVF was not a problem.

grcolts

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Gary
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
E-PL7 is lovely camera, with kit lens, or 25mm. 17mm is a little heavy perhaps, and 45mm more limited.

Just using with 25mm 1.7 Panasonic is a joy. Portraits, food, travel, scenery, pets, documents, evidence - this lens can do it all. Some say they have a bad copy - but ours has been excellent straight out of box - probably best lens I’ve ever used, when considering value for money, enjoyment and the memories it’s captured. For alternative view, a friend feels the same about their 45mm f1.8, which she uses for her product photography, along with a macro converter occasionally.

What lenses do you have? Would consider new lens before new body. What do you prefer to shoot?

E-PL8 looks and feels nicer to admire - with flat metal top plate, and Leica esq curved ends - but the grip when shooting is not nice, not practical, nearly dropped it on many occasions, 7 is a lot better in use. Side Note - We had 2x Tan 8’s, but had to return one due to fault out of box.

E-PL9 in Blue looks gorgeous, and inbuilt flash is nice. Grip seems better. But features (with new pretty graphics simplified menus, like em10 iii) is a step back in my view. Would depend what you do.

The E-M10 ii is lovely, and features suit travel or studio, due to custom my sets. E-M10 iii has really great grip, but poor choice for dual studio and travel use, as the loss of my sets and quick selection of electronic shutter (which now forces vibrant colours), is step backwards for me. Also our E-M10 iii shutter button is either broken or daft - it’s physically 2 position, but in operation has 3, its horrid, but Olympus suggest it’s normal - must try to try another.

Of cameras mentioned, I like the E-PL7 and E-M10 ii best. But for most people, if not needing my sets (for studio), electronic shutter, bracketing features (like earlier implementations), I would suggest E-M10 Mark III. Spent a day walking round with Mark III and a kit lens, just shooting Medium JPEGs in mix of B&W and Colour - really enjoyed it, back to basics, focus on the fun and creativity.
I use the Panasonic 25/1.7 a lot with my EPL-7 and love it. It is probably my most used lens with that camera. I do use the kit lens as well and get nice results from it too. I had thought about the E-M10iii and will look at it more closely. Thanks for your input.
GQR

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
The E-M10 ii is lovely, and features suit travel or studio, due to custom my sets. E-M10 iii has really great grip, but poor choice for dual studio and travel use, as the loss of my sets and quick selection of electronic shutter (which now forces vibrant colours), is step backwards for me. Also our E-M10 iii shutter button is either broken or daft - it’s physically 2 position, but in operation has 3, its horrid, but Olympus suggest it’s normal - must try to try another.

I agree with you about the E-M10.2 being better than the E-M10.3 (which was roundly panned when it first came out). But I'm wondering why you aren't mentioning the E-M10.4. Maybe because you have no experience with it? I don't either, but from what I have read, it is quite a good upgrade from the E-M10.2. Of course, you can get a refurb .2 much cheaper than a new .4.

HarryS

Mu-43 All-Pro
I own the EM5 with its 5 way IBIS, and that is for hand held low light situations, I like the Pens for easy to carry cameras. Always had N+1 cameras, and when I got back into bicycles, it's N+2.

With fast lenses, I don't find IS as valuable as it was 10 years ago when I bought the EPL1 and use the kit zoom.

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
i think you already answer your question. The benefit of EPL series is cuteness and compact while not sacrificing the image quality. Though don't has 5 axis, it does has 3 axis. I didn't complaint about EVF though since i don't use it.

Armand Di Meo

Mu-43 Regular
Olympus is not really leaving us but based on what I have read, the E-PL (Pen Lite) series will be the first to be dropped if the new company does eliminate cameras from its line-up. Therefore, if you really like the E-PL series, picking up an extra body is a good idea.

LineDance

New to Mu-43
I agree with you about the E-M10.2 being better than the E-M10.3 (which was roundly panned when it first came out). But I'm wondering why you aren't mentioning the E-M10.4. Maybe because you have no experience with it? I don't either, but from what I have read, it is quite a good upgrade from the E-M10.2. Of course, you can get a refurb .2 much cheaper than a new .4.
I have no experience with Mark IV, only knows what I read; it’s price (700-800 vs 400-500 for III), MEGApixels (20 v 16), and something else that escapes my memory.

I think AF on III is a little bit better than II, and likewise, noise a little lower on III ver II.

When differences are subtle, PRICE becomes a big factor for me, would rather have 95-99% of quality for half or quarter of the price, when I can find it - good deals seem a little hard to find currently.

My experience with CANON showed me a Manufacturer WARRANTY can be worthless, another reason why PRICE is a priority, assuming quality, features and usability tick my boxes. After my visits to Canon (CPS), I deemed any future purchases of Canon kit would be unrepairable if they broke, whether due to COST or PAIN, of trying to persuade manufacturer to do the right thing. Saw any money spent on a body as potentially worthless after 2 years. Because I had £20k invested (whoops a daisy, ‘expensed’ 😊), swapping systems was a very expensive option, continuing with Canon a Very Painful choice, Rock Stuck HardPlace. Nikon at the time had better awareness of the AF Issues, but still had a cloudy language when discussing the problem.

Curious what Darren Miles, now says** about D750 AF, ‘to be brutally honest ... it was never perfect ... it hit perfect af maybe half to two thirds of the time’. With early DSLR, and I believe same today, by buying the most expensive AF options, and buying a matched system (e.g. 5 bodies to find 2 neutral ones), you can have 100% hit rate, complete confidence, that’s nearly priceless - technique/subject dependent.

** 3m25s, Darren Miles YouTube, The Most Overlooked Camera of 2020.

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I think AF on III is a little bit better than II, and likewise, noise a little lower on III ver II.

When differences are subtle, PRICE becomes a big factor for me, would rather have 95-99% of quality for half or quarter of the price, when I can find it - good deals seem a little hard to find currently.
You can get a refurbished E-M10.2 and .3 on the Olympus website for less than $400 with a lens ($324 for a .3 body-only). I got my E-M10.2 body as a refurb for $300 a few years ago there. It is a very good deal, IMHO.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom