Any EP2/GF1 owners also shooting G1/GH1: Point?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by benoly, Mar 10, 2010.

1. benoly

benoly Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2010
    California, USA
    I have the EP2 and wondering If there is much to gain from G1/GH1? Actually if I get one it would be the G2 when it comes out. The main 2 reasons for me would be the moveable LCD screen and possibly better ergonomics for the bigger zoom lenses. Video isn't as important to me. But since there isn't much difference in image quality, would I just be gear collecting?
    (oops... i probably already am!)

2. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Ben the G1/G2 advantage would be as you described.

Additionally the GX body has a better grip from the RHS of the body ... ideal for large zooms !! like the 45-200 or 14-140 the integrated EVF with the GX makes for very tight coupling with the users eye and is Ideal for large lenses it just feels right with large lenses.

Some settings directly accessible around the mode dial via the lever the thumbwheel is great too and the EVF is always there.

I currently use G1/GF1/E-P2 and don't consider that gear collecting, I do think the E-P2 is an exceptional camera of the 3 its the body design and the great jpeg ooc.

Choice is yours if cost no option go for the G2.

Cheers

3. benoly

benoly Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2010
    California, USA
    Thanks, Boyzo.
    Do you have any issues with 2 different menu systems, buttons, etc.? And do you usually take both when shooting?

4. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    No real issues Ben .. the Pany menu is better IMHO things easy to find having said that the Oly is really fine just more "digging".

Here I am talking about menu settings not shooting settings, with shooting settings the Pany has a slight edge over Oly .. you will have no trouble with the Pany

No I usually take one CAM with lenses so far, but I can see a use for the G1 / with long zoom and the E-P2 with a small lens in the one bag OR it could be GF1 and E-P2 as a pair in the one bag.

More Cams more options and fun :wink:

Have a good day :smile:

John

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I have the Pen1 and the G1. Both are great cameras. Each has it's own way of working. That being said, yes I have a problem with the 2 difference interfaces.
    I would never get rid of the Pen so I'm ready to sell my G1 and get a Pen2.
    Then working will be easier. For events I do use both cameras.

6. paisatge

paisatge New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2010
    Might worth waiting a while and see what the GH-2 has to offer. They might just slip in a new sensor and that would probably give enough justification to get it :smile:

7. deckitout

deckitout Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Essex UK
    I have an EP2 and have just bought a G1 to compliment it.

I intend to use both, they both have there strengths IMO, I wanted an SLR type body light weight, articulating LCD, quality EVF etc.