1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Any E-M5 firmware update coming?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by walter_j, Sep 7, 2014.

1. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    I thought the E-M5 was supposed to get focus peaking soon, but I don't even see rumors about it now. Anyone know whats happening with this? Perhaps the E-M5 development has come to a halt

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I suspect we'll not see any more updates now. I wouldn't lose any sleep about focus peaking though. The Oly implementation of it on the E-M1, E-P5, E-M10 etc is pretty naff IMHO (uber slow frame rate, black or white outline only, hard to see in a lot of lighting situations, not sufficiently sensitive).

• Like Like x 3
  3. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    Ok. If it's not very good on any camera, I won't worry. I'm getting fairly good with magnification anyways. Just not quick. My CV 17.5 is difficult to get focused, and was hoping focus peaking would be the answer, but maybe not.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    While I'd like to see further improvements to my E-M5, I'm not expecting much. The 5 uses the previous generation of image processor, so it may be that development work done for the current generation does not translate as easily.

I've never understood the love for focus peaking. I've tried it on my E-M1 (and also on other brands) and have never found it as useful as using the magnify function for critical focus, or unassisted eyes for a quick manual focus.

• Like Like x 2
  6. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    I sometimes enable it on my E-P5, just for fun, but mostly leave it turned off. On some difficult targets, it doesn't seem to be all that effective, anyway. I don't miss it on the E-M5.

Same for the WiFi implementation. If it would transfer RAW images straight to my PC, I might get excited.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I've just started playing with it. I found it somewhat useful when I was using a 600mm manual lens on a monopod. Very difficult to maintain a steady viewfinder when magnfied. So backed off magnification to half and used peaking.

• Like Like x 3
  8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Hidden in one of the settings menus (Custom menu (Cogs) -> C. Release -> second from the bottom on the first page) is an option called "Half way Rls With IS" which has the description of "When set to On, Image Stabiliser will work while the shutter button is being pressed."

The current description dates back to before the camera was released, I can't remember exactly when it was changed however it should read something closer to "When set to On, Image stabiliser will work while using zoomed preview or the shutter button is being pressed.". Basically when you zoom in using magnify, IS kicks in and you get a nice steady image to work with, it's really something magical. My one caution however is if your camera gets turned on inside your bag by the time you notice the battery in the camera (and grip if you use one) will be dead.

It also has uses when doing hand held HDR as it prevents shutter shock by turning the IS on before the first frame is taken rather than as it's taken - I often find that if I have it turned disabled I get shutter shock on the first frame of HDR's taken on a monopod, it's sort of a workaround in part for not having EFCS on high speed mode.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Henry

Henry Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Montreal
    I wish Olympus to implement the magnify and touch focus option in movie mode like on the the E-p5. Both cameras are from the same (Truepic VI) generation.

10. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I believe I use this but at 14x and a 600mm lens it is still too bouncy to achieve focus. Maybe just my poor technique...lol. So I use the wheel to back off to about 7x magnification and use peaking with nice results

11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    While better technique might help however a 600mm really is a very long lens, the same movement seen on a 300mm instead using a 600mm lens would show up as four times as large. Just getting pictures with longer lenses is always pushing the limits, I have to really hand it to people who take pictures of birds and how they manage to pull it off (I for one just have trouble FINDING something using really long lenses, I have a poor sense of direction).