Any clarifications to E-M1 DIY rear dial “fix?”

Snapshooter

Mu-43 Regular
My E-M1 has the skipping rear dial problem that apparently is common on this model. The quote I got from Olympus to repair it is more than I want to pay—at least for now—so I am trying to understand the DIY temporary fix by spinning the dial that I have read about. I understand this doesn’t provide a permanent fix, but I hope it’s something that can help for now.

I have seen several different descriptions of how to do the fix: Sometimes described as spinning the dial fast one direction for a while, then spinning it fast the other direction for a while. Sometimes described as turning the dial quickly back and forth, one direction then the other. Sometimes described as spinning the dial consistently—though not necessarily fast.

So my question is for folks who have done the DIY “fix”—how have you done it and has it worked?

Thank you.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Some perople have reported using contact cleaner spray works for awhile. Make sure you use something that does not leave any residue. I presume you mean the original EM1
If you like the camera an Olympus repair would be best as they are nice cameras, especiall if you want the tilting only screen or VF4 attachment.

JayZay87

Mu-43 Regular
The rear dial on my EM1 has been getting worse and worse in the last couple of months. I've tried spinning the dial back and forth which helped a little bit at first but doesn't do anything to help at this point. I purchased 'MG Chemicals Electrosolve' zero residue contact cleaner, and will be attempting the cleaning of the dial before the end of the week and will report back if there is any success.

JayZay87

Mu-43 Regular
So I had a chance to take a part my EM1 this evening and try the Electrosolve contact cleaner on the rear dial. Basically once the cleaner touched the dial it I noticed it was already working like new, after it sat for a while though it would act up again. So after spraying it a second and third time I rapidly spun the dial back and forth over and over, and it got the point where it was consistently working great, not 100%, but like 90% which is good enough for me! I’ll have to wait and see how things go in the long term, but even after sitting for hours I noticed it was still working just as good. The dial on my EM1 was almost to the point of being non functional, so this is a huge improvement and gives me hope. Will keep everyone posted on how things play out.

ph.

Mu-43 Regular
As I have repeatedly written here and elsewhere, The key problem with the rear dial is that it is too sensitive. It keeps moving the central focussing square when you have to squeeze the body to steady a heavy lens. Most inconvenient.that Oly has not bothered to change firmware to allow incapacitating the wheel. Superglue could be the anwer, except that the wheel is needed to set IBIS.

p.

Giiba

Something to someone somewhere
This thread inspired me to try a more drastic solution and follow the directions for disassembly here:
https://witonosfreestyle.wordpress.com/2016/11/17/olympus-e-m1-rear-dial-repair-tips/

I am happy to report that now my rear dial seems to be working perfectly. Seems the lack of sealing causes grime build up, go figure...

My advice is to carefully remove and sort the screws as there are two types both in varying lengths:
image20200212_180209239.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I find creating a map as they come out the easiest way.

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Revisiting this thread.

Bought a used E-M1 off Lifepixel.com ($299) and had them convert it to Full Spectrum ($350) for doing IR photos. Sure enough, the rear wheel dial was erratic right out of the box. They did do the firmware upgrade to 4.6 and the camera looked clean, but the shutter speed dial was very erratic. Checked with Olympus USA and their quote is $250 to fix it. Called Lifepixel and they told me to return it to them and let them fix it. They sent me a 2 Day UPS label so away it went.

Aside, looking at the sensor glass for Full Spectrum, it appears to be an amber color of some sort. No dust visible and clean, but that erratic shuttter speed dial is an issue that I haven't seen with my Pen-F, E-M1 Mark II, or the E-M1X.

gl500des

New to Mu-43
So I had a chance to take a part my EM1 this evening and try the Electrosolve contact cleaner on the rear dial. Basically once the cleaner touched the dial it I noticed it was already working like new, after it sat for a while though it would act up again. So after spraying it a second and third time I rapidly spun the dial back and forth over and over, and it got the point where it was consistently working great, not 100%, but like 90% which is good enough for me! I’ll have to wait and see how things go in the long term, but even after sitting for hours I noticed it was still working just as good. The dial on my EM1 was almost to the point of being non functional, so this is a huge improvement and gives me hope. Will keep everyone posted on how things play out.
Hi - Can you give an update on how this worked long term. I own two EM1 bodies. They now both have the rear dial issue to a point where they are almost unusable. Pondering sending for repair but there are no repair depots left in Canada.

Thanks,

Duncan.

JayZay87

Mu-43 Regular
Hi - Can you give an update on how this worked long term. I own two EM1 bodies. They now both have the rear dial issue to a point where they are almost unusable. Pondering sending for repair but there are no repair depots left in Canada.

Thanks,

Duncan.
Hi Duncan,

Sorry for the much delayed response.
I no longer have my EM1, however I did own and use it for quite a while before selling it and never ran into any of the issues again. I found it to be a very simple repair, just make sure you use a high quality cleaner that doesn't leave a residue (such as the Electrosolve cleaner that I had used), and make sure you remember where each screw goes (and make sure you don't lose them). It can be hard to remove some of the screws, so I also recommend a good quality jeweler screw driver kit so you don't strips any of the screw heads.
I'd definitely recommend giving it a shot.
Cheers
-Jason

Brad Sarno

Mu-43 Regular

Thanks,

Duncan.
It's worked great long term for me. Maybe 3 years and still fine. When I got my Em1 it had the problem. I forget where I found the instructions that allowed me to loosen, not remove, the top plate. Then I sprayed some Caig Fader Lube into the area where the rear and front dials are. Re-assembled, and has been great so far.

Latest threads

Top Bottom