any chance the pl25 will come down in price like the gx1?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by brainhulk, Jul 19, 2012.

1. brainhulk

brainhulk Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 11, 2010
    or is it unlikely?
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Not any time soon, I don't think. There's no competition for it in m43, and it's still in high demand and supplies seem somewhat limited. For a while it was out of stock, and used ones were selling for more than they did new.

I think the only way to get a "bargain" is to keep your eyes open for a used one.
  3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Very unlikely to go down in price for a while. They still really aren't keeping up on demand. Also, if you look at other Panasonic lenses, such as the 20/1.7 and 45/2.8 macro, prices did not fall much at all over a long period of time.

The one m4/3 lens that can be had at great value right now, IMO, is the 14/2.5. Check out Ebay and search for reputable sellers... priced around $140 or so. Assume lenses pulled from kits and sold separately.
  4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    The primary technology of high-end lenses is the glass, which does not advance very quickly. Over time, a few bells and whistles (new coatings, new IS systems, etc.) may lead to new versions or similar replacements being released that will bring the price down, but it's not nearly the same as with bodies. Lower end lenses, especially those released as part of kits, are more frequently covered (e.g., the 14mm f/2.5) and are released in very high volume, so their prices do fall quickly.

As I have painfully learned over the past two years, :43: bodies are one of the worst investments in photography. Even compared to DSLR bodies, they are being improved at such a rate that any new body will be replaced in less than 6 months, causing the price to fall substantially. As such, I will hold onto my GX1 until any new body (E-M5, G5, GH3) drops by 40-50%, then consider buying one.
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Unless a lens is somewhat less than stellar they tend to hold their value. Prices may eventually drop a little, but not nearly as much as bodies.
  6. Psalty

Psalty New to Mu-43

Jun 27, 2012
    Assuming that the 12-35 becomes readily available, I think that the price for it on the used market will be pretty good in a year or so from now. The starting price of $1300 seems a little high to me.
  7. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    It'll come down a little on the used market not only because it seems high to you, but because grey market prices are lower. :wink:

Lenses aren't replaced by newer models every year, therefore the price for the PL25 is unlikely to decrease. Another reason is that the the JPY has increased in value to the USD. For each lens sold in the US, Panasonic gets fewer Yen than they did a year ago.
  8. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Not until MFT is dead like FT, then you'll see fast primes get much cheaper. But in a live system, its rare that a high end F1.4 lens will come down much in price if at all.
  9. Psalty

Psalty New to Mu-43

Jun 27, 2012
    I think if it is part of a GH3 kit it will come down quite a bit in the used market. Just like the 12-50 or any other kit lens.
  10. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    For high end/quality lenses retail prices typically remain 10-15% off msrp - even these prices are usually at least somewhat manipulated by the manufacturer through direct dealer incentives and rebates that are built-in to the final prices we see. Unlike camera bodies which are constantly revolving and replaced on an almost annual pace, quickly devaluing the current bodies in favor of the next best thing, lenses aren't generally upgraded in such a manner and tend to hold their value over much longer periods.
  11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I agree with this. .. especially the part about camera bodies. I am proud to say that I have never paid more than $395 for any :43: body - with some as low as $299. All purchased brand-new... either upon their replacement by the next body, a special deal via Panasonic Direct or the occasional super sale (like Amazon's recent GX1 deal). With patience it can be done. Re: lenses... the most I have ever paid for a :43: lens is $499. That was my Panny 100-300, again brand new. Most of my other lenses were in the $299-$350 range. But you'll notice in my signature below that I don't own any of the really expensive lenses like the PL 25 or 45 or the Oly 12.
  12. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    This is a premium lens, leica branded even. And given its popularity, much like the 20mm f1.7, I don't think it will go down in price anytime soon.
  13. frank2

frank2 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Columbus, Ohio
    You could wait and hope that Panasonic Direct repeats their cyber Monday deals at the end of the year. I purchased the PL25 for $450 at that time with a "Facebook discount".