Any body with Mountain Lion?Please help

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bhupinder2002, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi guys .. I was thinking of upgrading my Mac OS to Mountain lion but honestly I don't see any point there and none of the reviews have shown me any promising new feature . I was wondering if anyone of us has upgraded and would like to share his or her experience with us .
  2. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I updated yesterday... havent really driven it hard yet... too busy trying to figure out my new OMD and recovering from jet lag :) but it does seem to be a bit 'snappier' all round. I am running it on a 11 inch Macbook Air ( Mid 2011).

Safari seems particularly quicker

overall probably worth the 20 dollars

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    How did the upgrade process go Kevin? Did you install clean to a new drive, or upgrade over an existing install?
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I wouldn't say its essential. It's more integrated with iCloud and updates to some apps (iMessage, Notes and such) Safari is much improved. I'd say for $20 it's worth it. You should see some small increase in performance much like the jump from Leopard to Snow Leopard.

The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) has a pretty good breakdown of it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    If you don't see any new features that you find compelling then why rush to update? Why not let the early adopters play with it a while and work out the kinks and then migrate in a month or two when v10.8.1 is released?

And no ROFLs on this post? You're slipping, Bhu.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. scarbrd

scarbrd Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    Houston, TX
    My upgrade went fine, no issues. I did the in-place upgrade.

I see some security changes, iChat is now Messages. Stuff like that.

Facebook integration is more ubiquitous, updates to iPhoto, iMovie, Aperture, too.
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Sorry, no. I did just upgrade to Jellybean and it's terrific! Faster browser, better voice search, keyboard is more responsive. Android has come of age! (Sorry, couldn't resist - upgrade just came in this morning.) :rolleyes:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Jellybean?? Mountain Lions eat jellybeans for breakfast. What about ice cream sandwich, cupcake, and apple strudel? Oh, and of course, creampuff. Such innocuous terms for Google personal tracking devices. Creampuff is Google's code name for the embeddable tracking chip they're working on ;)
  9. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Airplay is good if you have an apple tv and a 2011 or later mac.

Notifications is also helpful (and replaces 3rd party apps like Growl). It also notifies you of updates to software.

Safari is using the address bar (finally), etc.

Overall I'd say it's worth it. There are several new security features, and the install is very simple.
  10. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    Madison, WI
    My policy is to hold off on upgrading until the 10.x.1 release, so I'll be upgrading in a little while.

For anyone who enjoys reading about the "nuts-and-bolts" changes in OS upgrades, I recommend Siracusa's review (warning, 24 pages and over 26k words) over at Ars Technica.
  11. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    ^ reading that stuff.

I'm a bit disappointed that the Facebook integration has yet to be implemented...was looking forward to that (I don't do "the twitter").

Oh, forgot the most important new feature - the scroll bar is actually visible to the naked eye when moused-over! :thumbup:
  12. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    MacBook Air 2011 13" 4GB I5 with Lion. Checked for updates, did backup, and then downloaded Mountain Lion. The install took less than 30 minutes and there were no problems. Safari 6 and Messaging are excellent; I haven't explored much else.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I'm still running SL, so I know I'm moving to ML, just to get better iOS integrations and cloud sharing. Looking forward to reading about others' experiences.
  14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I installed over a previous version.... not obvious issues... though I had backed up my machine the day before in Europe before jumping on a plane to the US.

Biggest problem was the very slow internet connection at the in-laws place... plus i think the Apple servers were hammered... it took me 10 hours to download the update... but they have a less than 1Mb line.....unlike the 100Mb I had installed in Belgium last week :)

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    That's pretty much my way as well, especially for any Macs which are over a couple years old. Seems like they test for trouble with the newer models, and the older models aren't always so happy with the 10.x.0 updates.
  16. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    I dedicated tons of time customizing Tiger to make it my perfect developing machine, until I realized how upgrading to Leopard would break them. I waited as long as I could to move to Leopard, then of course Snow Leopard came out right after I upgraded. Ever since then I gave up on spending too much time making myself at home, because Apple will just do whatever with the upgrade and making their apps pretty, but good luck with anything non-Apple, including the Unix subsystem parts.

Regardless, I just upgraded from Lion to Mountain Lion, next onto checking what apps broke.
  17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I just upgraded to ML from SL. I did a backup to time machine before, just in case. The upgrade was flawless, though I have 25/5 fios, and the download took a loooooong time. It would be nasty on DSL or something.

Still, no complaints. It certainly feels snappier, and has some nice eye candy. I'm after the notes and tasks and other integrations with my mobile devices, so we'll see how those work.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. StevenJay

StevenJay Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 25, 2012
    What photo editing programs are you using? I had a really hard time installing Elements 10 a few weeks ago. Hate to go thru that process again!

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  19. Grilloman

Grilloman New to Mu-43

Jun 24, 2012
    for me the better is how mountain lion shows avchd videos files, it shows one file package on disk root, when click on it a new windows display all the video files.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. michaeln

michaeln Guest

I upgraded to Mountain Lion the first day. No issues (yet). No real benefits either (that I use). The main reason I did it is that my iMac is less than a week old so the upgrade from Lion was free.