1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Any Bike Riders Here?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by snegron, Jan 12, 2015.

1. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    This past weekend I purchased a mountain bike at the local bike shop (Fuji Nevada 29 1.1., 17" frame). While I did it for several totally unrelated reasons (long story), it later occurred to me that I would like to take my camera along with me while riding. No interesting trails or off road scenery anywhere in my neighborhood, but there are many interesting birds (Bald Eagles, Ospreys, Burrowing Owls, Pelicans, etc.).

Any fellow bike riders here? If so, what is your preferred method of carrying your equipment (backpack, sling holster, etc.)?

2. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    I ride frequently with my XZ-2 around my neck. It's light enough that it really doesn't get in the way. The only problem with this system is that I frequently see something I would like to shoot while moving. This is not a good idea! During an organized ride last May I was about to take a photo of something ahead and up high. As I looked through the viewfinder for a second to frame the shot my bike hit a speed bump sending me flying over the handlebars. One broken clavicle and one broken XZ-2 later I realized the folly of this system. While I continue to ride with the camera around my neck (Olympus was able to repair it) I now refrain from "motion pictures".

3. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    My wife and I ride. We have Giant Rincons. They are older and we got them off Craigslist for insanely cheap.

I used to use my converted Maxpedition Versa Pak, but now I carry my OMD with the Oly 75-300 in a think tank digital holster 10. I also use the digital harness. Camera is right on my chest . can even take a backpack if need be and not interfere with each other.

5. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
  6. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Yep hence the nickname... one of the reasons I use Micro 4/3 is the light weight and size. My G5 fits easily in my slim camelback backpack. I also use it for snow skiing along with a GoPro. Road biking is a little harder unless I am going long distance with panniers, in which case it's easy to stow a camera.

7. trandg

trandg Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    Toronto
    David
    I mtb and over the years i have tossed a GH2 or E-M5 in my Dakine bike backpack. A few crashes but never any issues with the camera.

8. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    Update:

I ended up purchasing a Kata LighTri 312 DL sling bag. Odd fit, straps are confusing to adjust, no instructions included. I'll be taking it out for a test ride tomorrow.

9. RMills

RMills Mu-43 Regular

Nov 7, 2014
  10. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida
    • Like Like x 1
  11. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I ride road and mountain bikes. I have a GM1 with the 14mm that I throw in my camelbak when mountain biking. I'm trying to figure out a way to put it in a small case and attach it to the front straps of my Camelbak. I'm also looking at something like the Gas Tank mentioned above (or probably something a bit smaller for my road bike). The GM1 would fit easily in my jersey, but it's too heavy and shaped wrong to carry there. Here's a shot from a trip last year to Sedona that I took with my GM1. It has its limitations, but as a tiny, compact "adventure travel" camera, it can't be beat.

EvanG_20140220_15940-X2.

• Like Like x 1
  12. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Stitch this type of fasteners (or black ones) to the strap and to the case and they will easily hold GM1. You can also attach fasteners directly to some tripod plate and attach it to the bottom of GM1.

13. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    @TwoWheels@TwoWheels - if you're not hung up on a case, look at the Peak Designs Capture Clip. It will attach to the shoulder strap of your Camelbak.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I use a small camera backpack.
    http://store.lowepro.com/flipside-sport-10l-aw

This thing has gone all over with me. I can carry plenty of gear or some gear and then food/supplies, etc. It flips around in front of me and I rest it on the handle bars to access the gear and get some quick shots.

15. snegron

snegron Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    SW Florida

Update to my previous update :)

Turns out the oddly shaped Kata LighTri 312 worked out great for bike riding! While I don't like the feel/design of this bag for every day use, it sits at a perfect angle for me while bike riding. If I don't tighten the straps too much it has enough play where I can pull it back a bit over my side so it doesn't interfere with my knees while pedaling. When I stop to take a picture of a bird I slide it forward without a problem. My only slight issue is that if it rests in front of me while riding it obstructs my view of the pedals.

16. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Take a look at this too. One of the reviews I read specifical mentioned its usefulness when riding. Held the camera safely, didn't imoact Her riding and made the camera easily accessible, she could stop, draw the camera, shoot and replace. The capture pro on the camelback clip sounds good too, but I wonder if the camera would hang uncomfortably while you're leaned forward.

Anyway...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1051330-REG/cosyspeed_cs0001_cosyspeed_camslinger_160.html

17. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
  18. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I avoid bags for good reason. I have a belt pouch for the tiny 9-18mm. With the camera on a should sling set to short so it doesn't hit the handlebars. The idea is to remove any barriers and feel free to go anywhere.
    I use the same philosophy on the bike itself. With hub dynamo, mudguards and rain gear. I don't have excuses not to go anywhere at any time.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  19. Jeece

Jeece Mu-43 Rookie

May 7, 2015
    Granby, QC, Canada
    I will be faced with this problem soon, but I still don't have my E-M10 (been ordered a month ago! :( ). I don't know yet how it's gonna turn out, will I bring my camera, some accessories and 2 lenses, just the camera and the body cap lens for more portability, or anything in between? Sure thing, the fact that I could easily transport my camera was a winning factor for the mirrorless system since I was originally thinking to buy a DSLR...

I bought a Trek 7.4 FX last summer, after a few years without owning and riding a bike. I mostly ride for fitness (or small errands), 20-50 km outings, all out, only stopping when necessity calls. At first it didn't occur to me to bring my camera along, though I captured a few snapshots with an older cell phone (its only use is for riding apps, it's not even hooked up and has no SIM card), just to prove "I got there". This year though I began to bring my current camera (my ten year old Canon S2) in a rear rack bag. I was glad for the pictures opportunities I could catch but it made me stop more often than I liked. :/ I'm kinda torn between my hobbies there. :p

IMG_2679-2.

20. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    For over a year now I have been using a Mind Shift Panorama 180° to hold my lenses, and a Think Tank Digital Holster 10 V 2.0 attached with a backpack connection kit. I mountain bike with this every weekend, plus the occasional midweek ride. It's a little bulky, but it works well for me. The Digital Holster will carry up to a 40-150 f/2.8 PRO (tripod foot removed) on an E-M10. My major complaint would be trying to squeeze a 100oz bladder into the Panorama.