Any Android users?

hanzo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chan
Moi..

Most often used are twitter and facebook.
Other useful app is a bus schedule app, to check arriving time for buses.
Of course the usual stuff like gmail, calendar, map (useful when I'm lost :biggrin:), Meebo for IMs, Dropbox for file syncing. The Bible, occasionally..

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Moi..

Most often used are twitter and facebook.
Other useful app is a bus schedule app, to check arriving time for buses.
Of course the usual stuff like gmail, calendar, map (useful when I'm lost :biggrin:), Meebo for IMs, Dropbox for file syncing. The Bible, occasionally..

Any image editing apps (not hardcore, but something that could crop or scale might be nice)?

texascbx

Mu-43 Veteran
The best place for free Android advice and software, including hacks is at XDA developers site. They have successfully ported Android to the iPhone and even my aging Verizon Touch Pro 2.

xda-developers

hanzo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chan
Any image editing apps (not hardcore, but something that could crop or scale might be nice)?

Adobe has Photoshop for Android for free.. but I find it lacking..
It doesnt have.. Auto Adjustment button :biggrin:

It does cropping and scaling though..

CalebPhotographer

Mu-43 Regular
I'll be making my first foray into the 21st century by getting an Android phone.

I just wanted any suggestions on photography apps or apps in general that would be handy.

You plan on using your android phone for photography?
What kind of phone did you buy?

adam

Mu-43 Regular
I will be an Android user on July 13.

Not that I'm counting down the days until I can get rid of my piece-of-**** BlackBerry or anything...

Jamus

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Peter Jamus
I enjoy Android immensely. You won't be disappointed.

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Oh, I'm getting the LG Ally. I wanted to like the droid, but the keyboard really isn't for my big fingers. The HTC Incredible was my second choice, but after playing with the virtual keyboard, I was turned off. The LG Ally isn't as fast, but the keyboard is quite usable for me. Its also BOGO right now too...

Dj

CalebPhotographer

Mu-43 Regular
Oh, I'm getting the LG Ally. I wanted to like the droid, but the keyboard really isn't for my big fingers. The HTC Incredible was my second choice, but after playing with the virtual keyboard, I was turned off. The LG Ally isn't as fast, but the keyboard is quite usable for me. Its also BOGO right now too...

Dj

So far with my experience, Android resizes the photos for you automatically.

And I have the Samsung Behold 2. I hacked it to have BH Man's custom OS, and it runs so much better.

One thing to look into on your phone:
Get the Swype keyboard if you can. It's way better than a physical keyboard.

Mosca

Mu-43 Regular
I have a Droid; it is a pretty poor camera, to be honest. There are a couple worthwhile apps, though. DoFCalc is a depth of Field calculator; put in the focal length and fstop and it gives you the particulars. For example, an 85mm lens @ f/8 on a subject 22' away:

Near limit = 18'
Far limit = 28'
Total DoF = 10'
Hyperfocal Distance = 99'

Photoshop.com Mobile is OK enough. I took this shot with my Droid and processed it using photoshop.com Mobile, just to see what it would do:

b759d686.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

original:

37929408.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Eh. OK enough, I guess.

svetlin

New to Mu-43
I am an Android software developer.
I wrote a viewer/uploader for RitzPix (not the official application posted on the market, but an equivalent one).

Currently, the best mobile photo-programs are the uploaders for Picasa and PhotoBucket.
Make sure you have at least version 2.0.1 of Android as all previous versions had problems with full-resolution sensor grab.

The newly released "Froyo" (i.e. Android 2.2) includes for a first time
Camera onscreen buttons provide easy access to a new UI for controling zoom, flash, white balance, geo-tagging, focus and exposure.
along with other camera/gallery enhancements.

I recommend sticking to the Google experience devices (Nexus One and Droid) as most "enhancements" by the hardware vendors or network operators mostly get in the way and are not worth the bloat (not to mention are usually way behind of the current OS version).

Mosca

Mu-43 Regular

Dj

I've opened the keyboard maybe half a dozen times in the two months I've had my Droid; and I never use the onscreen keyboard, either. There's a little microphone on the onscreen keyboard; touch it, say clearly what you want to type, and it converts it to text. The only time I open the keyboard is when I'm on a full html website and I need to open a drop-down menu and select something. The talk-to-text works for email, texting, Google search, GPS nevigation, you tube, whatever I've tried it for.

Mosca

Mu-43 Regular
Some quick shots; I spoke the words, "micro four thirds forums."

Attachments

• P6140363.jpg
    P6140363.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 130
  • P6140364.jpg
    P6140364.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 139
  • P6140365.jpg
    P6140365.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 140

squeegee

Mu-43 Veteran
I've had the original HTC G1 for about a year now. I'm quite happy even though it's the old one. It does everything for me from alarm clock, calendar, email, web browser, mp3 player, and phone :rolleyes:

The 3mp camera on it is so revolting I would have much rather had the 2mp camera on my 2005 sonyericsson. It's so bad I avoid using it at all costs. I even avoid using it for casual photos it's so bad, I only take photos if I'm too lazy to write something down.

One of the best things I downloaded just recently is Mapdroyd, as usual it's free. Off line map / gps system. Get a decent size flash card though. I think north america was over 4 gigs alone.

It would be awsome if I could tether my phone to my e-p1... hahahah talk about bizzare desires eh?

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
Some quick shots; I spoke the words, "micro four thirds forums."

I played with that on a few of the phones, and it seemed hokey. I also read that the google voice thing is always on, wasting battery. There's also something about pressing actual buttons that makes sense to me.

The thing is, when I need to text most times, I can't be talking anyway, cuz if I could talk, I'd give the person a call instead, LOL. I rarely text, just by significant other because at her job she can't call me, but she can text me.

Those are some good shots though.

Mosca

Mu-43 Regular
Get the phone that satisfies you, I don't mean to sell the other one. Whichever you get, make one of your first apps "Task Killer". Touch TK and it kills all running apps, including Google Voice.

All these things have lousy battery life, including the iPhone. I bought a second battery online, they're cheap, and I keep one in the phone and one in my wallet as an emergency backup.

My daughter texts me all the time. The way I figure it, it is how the kids get to say, "Send money" without having to ask how you're doing, etc.

Latest threads

Top Bottom