Any alternative GH3 Battery Grip's out there?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Jay86, May 14, 2013.

1. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Im wondering if there are any other alternative battery grip's in the market for the Panasonic GH3? Something similar to what's out there for Oly OMD would be fantastic that adds that extra bit of ergonomic holding area without the big ticket price tag. The panasonic OEM grip for the GH3 at $200 is at a steep price albeit functional and Im sure of great quality (it does however have a huge flaw for video folks who will mount it on rigs and other such things, as the tripod screw on the grip isnt in the centre!!!!).

I have looked around and came up with nothing to my disappointment.

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Um, I don't see how a battery grip for the GH3 that's similar to the third part E-M5 options (ie hunks of metal with no electrical contacts) would even be remotely useful for the GH3. I mean, the GH3 is already by far the largest MFT camera out there, with a solid grip by all accounts, so the only thing I could see adding would be a portrait orientation grip. Which is sort of pointless without a second set of controls/shutter release.

Phottix and the other companies who do grips for DSLRs may join the game, though, and offer something around the 100 dollar mark.

3. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    I guess we will have to wait a while before 3rd party vendors make a grip for the GH3 then. Shall see if I need a grip after shooting with this camera for a month or so.

4. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
  5. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
  6. klhbeetle

klhbeetle New to Mu-43

Aug 16, 2013
    I have the OEM Panasonic GH3 grip and I don't think I would skimp on buying 3rd party. It's already relatively cheap as is and fitment with the base is pretty key.

7. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    Most people including myself seem to have good luck with 3rd party grips for Canon and Nikon.

8. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If weathersealing is important for one's use, I'd hesitate to use a 3rd party grip, because you just don't know how well they sealed things. If that doesn't matter for one's subject matter, the price of that 3rd party grip is hard to ignore.