1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Any advice on exporting photos for Facebook?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by dylandingo, Oct 28, 2012.

1. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    So I normally don't bother with uploading any of my work on facebook because they haven't looked that great to me in the past but friends of mine want me to upload my photos from our Halloween party we had Friday night. I have heard comments of people pre-compressing their photos for facebook and that is helped avoid facebook's jpeg compression but never how to do it. Does anyone have any advice or know how to export RAW photos out of Aperture so my jpegs(or any other files facebook accepts that avoid too much compression) will look better on facebook?

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For pictures that I am picky about in terms of online presentation, I export my photos to my pro-flickr account instead and them post the links in facebook.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    One word - sRGB.

4. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Well they are going to be on my flickr but I want the facebook album because they all want to be tagged and such.

5. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Just checked and it is already set up for sRGB for exporting all my jpegs.

In the past I have exported them at 50% of the size hoping to minimize facebook's compression but my details still get crushed.

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's just for colorspace....

I believe the OP is concerned about avoiding the compression algorithms used by Facebook when the images are too large.

7. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Yes that is true, but I am willing to except all advice on getting the most out my images when I upload them.

Would me exporting them to 50% of the image size help or are there any other exporting options in Aperture that well allow me to get most of the details out of my images when facebook compresses them? Or would another file format that facebook would accept work better than jpeg? I am trying to upload these photos in the next few hours.

8. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    No, don't export at 50% of the original size! That is nowhere near small enough for the web. You are dealing with a 72-98dpi resolution as opposed to a 300-350dpi resolution for print (of course these figures don't mean anything in particular unless you have dimensions to go with them - but just to give you an idea of the difference...)

Export at a PRECISE pixel dimension which is suitable for web. It doesn't matter if you're uploading to Facebook, this forum, your website, or whatever. The easiest rule of thumb is to keep your longest edge at a maximum of 800 pixels.

Just remember that when dealing with files on a computer monitor, dpi or ppi (dots per inch/pixels per inch) mean nothing as there is are no set dimensions of all the various monitors. Pixel dimensions is the only area size you are dealing with, and pixels are the only units you need to work with.

If you have an appropriate pixel dimension on your photos, then Facebook will have no need to downsize it. Neither will the end-user's browser, which will happen even in HTML and not just Facebook.

Are you shooting in 4:3 aspect? If so, you may want to consider making all your photos 800px by 600px. I personally use 600px by 450px for websized photos, but that's just an old habit from when screens were lower resolution.

When you link photos to your posts in this forum, you should also be using these web-sized dimensions... please. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Thank you Ned! I do indeed use the 4:3 aspect unless I feel like shooting in 6:6 on a rare occasion.

10. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Facebook is currently storing images at 2048px or thereabouts on the long axis, when the high quality box is checked. Please don't export at 800, as that is ridiculously small for modern day pages. My Lightroom "screen" preset is set to 1920x1200 max size, as that covers nearly all consumer grade screens.

Of course smaller may be beneficial if you are concerned about image theft.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Thanks, I already posted them at 800 but I will keep that in mind for next time. When I have a little more time and I don't have people texting me none stop to post my photos I'll do a little experimenting and side by side comparisons.