1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Any A77 users here?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by SRHEdD, Feb 4, 2014.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Not the A7, the A77 DSLR. It has always intrigued me, had one for a week and sent it back, but that was because my polarized sunglasses didn't like EVF. Fixed that, PLUS it is really cheap right now and B&H is including the grip. I know a replacement is imminent...

User comments?

2. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Why not try one of the Sony forum's .

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Because I'd like opinions from those of us who prefer the m4/3 cameras, but might have experience with it in comparison. Going to the Sony forum would be too biased... no thanks.

4. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I don't have the A77, but I did move from the G2 to the A57. The advantages of the A77 vs the A57, is the A77 offers micro-contrast adjustment, a better EVF, and display that articulates more. The reason I went for the A57(beside finding a solid price on one) is tracking and shooting speed(specially for wildlife). I also really like the larger selection of lenses available(specially how you can get some really classic Minolta lenses for really cheap). The only downside for me was I could not use my diffuser with it because of the lack of standard hot shoe(though you can get an adapter for cheap). I also wish it came with a touch screen like my GF3. I think the A77 is also built better as if I am not mistaken, maybe weather sealed.

That all said I sometimes gear lust of the E-M5(and now E-M10), and feel like I could maybe connect more with it, but then I remember of the IQ I can get out of my A57(specially from RAW files).

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I had an A77 for six months. Sold it to fund my first EM5. Often wished I'd kept it. Great camera. Massive resolution and DR. Noisy above ISO1600. Wished it had a touchscreen.

Everything good about mirrorless is great on the A77. Electronic first curtain. High flash sync (and the perfect ISO hotshoe). Lots of cross point af spots.

However....... The EM1 is a better camera. Except for some pixels and a stop difference in DOF.

Gordon

6. Your Funny Uncle

Your Funny Uncle Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2013
    York, UK.
    Rob
    I agree with Gordon. Having just moved from an A77 to an E-M1, which I see you have, I can honestly say that there's no reason for you to get an A77 unless you want that slight DOF advantage from APS-C or a few more megapixels. I suppose better continuous AF too, although I've not personally tested my E-M1 much in that regard. In every other respect the E-M1 is a better camera than the A77 or at least its equal, and it's so much lighter!

7. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I was actually thinking of both, and selling E-P5 kit to fund A77. The price is good now, and free grip is nice. Part of my enjoyment of photography is trying different cameras. Some stay, some get sold off. The E-M1 is a solid camera, as easy or complex to use as I want, and I've always loved the Oly jpg engine. Put put an E-P5 and an E-P3 in front of me, and I'd take the E-P3 and cash difference.

Reviews for A7 seem inconsistent in ways that would impact my shooting, or I'd try it out. Waiting for next firmware update or model to address AF and speed. A77 seemed like an interesting choice.

8. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I wouldn't say REALLY cheap, it is discounted. Resale on Sony bodies (save for the A57) drop like a tank after a year or two. I've owned an A100, A200, A500, and A57. I really LOVED shooting the A57, it was very fun to shoot. The shutter sound is awesome and the camera was just so responsive. I also love EVFs in general, so the SLT concept is great in my mind. You get real phase detect and WYSIWYG viewing .

Two things I don't like about Sony are how color gets sucked out of high ISO shots and the lens selection. Yes, there are tons of old Minolta lenses, but they really don't stand up to good new glass, and the ones that do are priced accordingly and hard to find.

Last but not least, I REALLY...REALLY hate the Sony ****** club. They are worse than Apple ******s, nothing Sony does is wrong, and no other gear is even close in their minds. That is one place the M43 crowd really shines, they embrace different systems.

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I agree there isn't a huge amount of affordable native glass, but they do have some stunning Zeiss primes, and the pro zooms are priced like Canon and Nikon.

For mere mortals, there is very little out there to compare with Sigma's ART lenses (35/1.4, 85/1.4 and I'm very curious to see what they do with the new 50/1.4; the old was excellent). And Tamron and Sigma make great standard zooms for a-mount.

10. battleaxe

I dunno, I guess I got a bit lucky because I have a Minolta 35-70mm F4 lens that I really like to use, and the 100-300mm APO(though some of the newer lenses, while are hair or two faster in terms of AF, IQ isn't matched at the priced I paid for it). Hell, if you are adventurous you can even get an old Minolta MF lens and swap it with an A mount(which doesn't seem that hard to do) and have a non-adapted MF lens, and focus peaking is pretty legit.

As for noise at high ISO I will partially agree, but the 16mp sensor seems to be a bit cleaner at ISO 1600 and above vs 24mp sensor models. I haven't noticed color being too much of a difference high ISO vs low, and in fact comparing it to my GF3, I think at high ISO the color on the Sony is a bit better(but that also could be due to less color noise). Color in general though could be a tad better(the RX1/10, and A7 are examples of how Sony improved color a bit).

11. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    In that case go or it. The A77 is a fun camera to use, definitely.

I have the A7. No issues with AF for me, so far. Again a fun camera and with truley wonderful files.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Gordon,

Compare AF on A7 to any m4/3... relatively speaking. The E-M1 is really fast, but I was happy with my E-P3. Or maybe vs. Nikon DSLRs. I found the AF on the D600 lacking.

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Big camera, small(er) sensor. That's a description, not a value judgment - it's almost as big as Nikon D800. On the upside, the ergonomics seem to be exquisite. Personally, if I'm going to carry the weight and bulk of a camera that size, there'd better be a good reason (as in it does something the smaller cameras don't or can't). I admit the pricing is attractive though...

14. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I had an A77 for a while. It was a nice camera, but i had problems with its metering. It seemed to be uneven. Sometimes it would be perfect and other times it would underexpose by quite a bit - probably at 1/2-1 stop off. But it is a great camera. I would recommend it. The autofocus is fast and I think it shoots like 10fps with focus. The shutter is really quiet and the build is pretty solid. I liked my EM5 more and sold the A77.

15. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    I only have one AF lens so far. The lowly 28-70. Even at 70mm it's better than the Fuji XE1. Seems a bit like inbetween the EP2 and EM5. Fast in good light. Decent in lower light. Better than the NEX7 I had. Seems to lock on well. Feels like the phase detection does well.

I have yet to do a torture test in really low light but so far so good. Hope to pick up a 55 next week.

I'm actually really keen to put a LEA4 on it and try some A series lenses. The 70-400 looks amazing.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  16. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Thanks all! It is positioning itself about as I'd expected. Funny how many end with, "I like my (insert Oly model here) better."

17. Your Funny Uncle

Dec 12, 2013
    York, UK.
    Rob
    Well if you enjoy trying out different systems, it's certainly a very capable camera. The 16-50/2.8 is a cracking bit of glass for the money, too.

18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    That is certainly part of the appeal. I love that range anyway, and the 2.8 is a bonus. I just found a couple of Oly lenses I'd been hunting for, so may put this off a few weeks to see if the rumored A79 appears... or an A7 firmware update. :smile:

19. Your Funny Uncle

Dec 12, 2013
    York, UK.
    Rob
    I should probably mention that My flickr stream from December (when I got the E-M1) back to March 2012 is pretty much solidly A77. Anything wide-angle will be taken with the 16-50, too, so if you want to see some examples of photos from the camera/lens, feel free to look there!

20. battleaxe

I don't have that lens, but from the samples I have seen, it is pretty amazing. I may try to get one someday for my A57.